By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So Until Dawn...new franchise or what?

I was always excited about the game, but was afraid it will flop critically. Now that it's getting good scores and a lot of praise, I think it can sell a million copies. I would guess that's a breakeven point for them, actors are not very expensive and about $20-30 million budget is perhaps what it cost.

It could start a franchise if it sells 1M+, but I don't know how demanding is the development and can they produce it on a 2-3 year cycle. I already compared it earlier to Wrong Turn movie franchise, so that's the direction it probably could go: same title, different cast, different predicament...

Around the Network

i think that as the op suggested youtubers will give this games sales a considerable boost, im just happy the game turned out good.

I think the big problem in figuring out whether the game will get a sequel is not so much dependent on its sales (as it will be niche), but more so on its cost. Of course, if the games sells way more than anyone could have expected, this is less of an issue.

That said, there are reasons to believe that this was an unusually costly game for its niche appeal. The transition from a PS3 Move game to a PS4 games indicates that it likely had a long development time. Secondly, it features a LOT of voice acting, some coming from famous people like Hayden Panettiere, which is really expensive. That said, the mo-cap of the game is not up to the standards of, say, Uncharted, and the animations are incredibly stiff, so that might have cut costs.

Edit: Of course, sequels and spin offs would be cheaper, because they wouldn't having the rocky development and engine changes.

Goodnightmoon said:
Wright said:

New franchise? Let this game enjoy some sales success first. Even then, this is the kind of game that deserves spiritual sequels more like a continuation of a franchise.

Exactly, I don´t see something like Until Dawn 2 but other game with the same concept, totally different story and marketed as " By the creators of Until Dawn" or something like that. 

Yeah I think this would be the best approach, especially for games that you can't directly follow on from without undermining the choices the player made in the first (unless you want to follow on from every possible outcome in Until Dawn, which while cool, would be a serious amount of effort).

I do hope we see more games like this from them. I've always felt that very cinematic games are at their best when you feel like you're really in control, and Until Dawn seems to be a great example of that.

Looks like they pulled it together quite decently and a lot of the fear was unwarranted! Good on them.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
HEMSTAR said:
I thought this game was gonna get slayed by the critics, glad i was wrong and i'll probably pick it up now.

I had faith.  going to pick up my midnight copy tonight!

I am Iron Man

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
HEMSTAR said:
I thought this game was gonna get slayed by the critics, glad i was wrong and i'll probably pick it up now.

Wish I could. My job fucks with me on purpose! Had to work last night and miss Walking Dead and Summerslam. Gotta work tonight (6pm-6am) and miss the launch of Until Dawn and Gears of War.  I'll pick them up at around 10am after I get some sleep, though. In the meantime, I'll be jealous of you and your Mark II Armor.

d21lewis said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

Wish I could. My job fucks with me on purpose! Had to work last night and miss Walking Dead and Summerslam. Gotta work tonight (6pm-6am) and miss the launch of Until Dawn and Gears of War.  I'll pick them up at around 10am after I get some sleep, though. In the meantime, I'll be jealous of you and your Mark II Armor.

Fear the Walking Dead was pretty badass. You should definitely watch it when you get the chance.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Kresnik said:
I find it so strange that Ready at Dawn, a company who previously worked on some stellar PSP games, managed to make an AAA-dud on PS4, yet Supermassive Games, who previously worked on shovelware and family stuff, have managed to make a critically well-received game (remains to be seen how it will sell).

Just goes to show that you never really can tell how a team is going to do once they're given some budget. Makes me wonder what other devs out there are being held back by low budgets.

Just like Creative Assembly making Alien: Isolation? Nothing is written in stone apparently. And to think Until Dawn was a PS Move game originally. I'm very happy for Supermassive, they managed to accomplish the unthinkable, make a decent game. 

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
HEMSTAR said:

I always thought it looked decent-good but i let other peoples opinions sway my own.