By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Splatoon sell more than FFXV in Japan?

Can it happen?

Yeah. 252 32.43%

Maybe. 169 21.75%

Nope. 356 45.82%

Total:777
leyendax69 said:
In that case wouldn't be a little unfair for splatoon though? Even if it released on the NX the comparison/prediction should be ps4 vs wii u only since both have similar consoles sold in japan. Actually FF already had an advantage so adding more to the equation...

My question is indeed FFXV PS4 vs Splatoon Wii U. For all we know, both games could get ports to the NX, but neither have been announced so I'm only referring to the versions we know exist now.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network

Never happening. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter. They ARE Japan.

the_dark_lewd said:
Never happening. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter. They ARE Japan.

To be fair, the Japanese market is much more than those three franchises.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Hard to say honestly. I don't think most people would have predicted Splatoon's unbelievable success in Japan. More so, I think people are underestimating that the fact that FFXV is an open world action RPG might be highly alienating to many Japanese consumers, which could severely limit it's sales. Alternatively, FFXV could pull a Splatoon and bring an otherwise unpopular genre (the third person shooter or the Western-style open world action RPG) into the mainstream. I think Splatoon was successful in Japan because it took a nascent genre for Japan and made it more appealing with Nintendo-style graphics and appeal. FFXV could make its pseudo-WRPG-ness appealing with classic Final Fantasy tropes, icons, chocobos, and character archetypes.

But outside of that, let's just look at the numbers. For all intents and purposes, the sales from the Xbox One version and belated, but highly likely PC port will be most likely effectively negligible in Japan. So for all intents and purposes, FFXV in Japan is a PS4 exclusive. So, numerically, we should look at how many PS4s are available versus how many Wii Us are available at the time of FFXV's release. With the recent information given, I think it's unlikely that we will see FFXV release before the Winter of 2016. Following current trends, it is highly likely that the PS4 will have overtaken the Wii U in sales by that time. This will be further exacerbated by the fact that the official announcement of the NX in 2016 will undoubtedly result in a sharp decline in the rate of Wii U purchases.

There are two things to consider however: Nintendo first party IPs have enormously high attach rates and tend to have very strong legs (this is something I always find slightly bewildering, because Nintendo games at retail are extremely slow to drop in price, which would naturally stimulate demand. Of course, you could argue that their high quality ensures their strong legs; however, I would also argue that because it is Nintendo's tendency to only release one or two versions of their iconic games a generation, it provides more incentive for individuals to purchase the older games, rather than wait for a new version. Anyway, sorry for that tangent.) Meanwhile, following FFXIII's attach rate, Final Fantasy XV can be expect to have an attach rate of about 20 percent.

So what do I make of all this? I think that if the PS4 continues to sell decently after FFXV is released, and if those new console sales translates to new purchases of FFXV, and if the PS4 has a substantial lifespan of at least three years after FFXV is released, and if Wii U sales start to plummet at around the time of FFXV's release in preparation for the NX, and if the NX is actually a home console, and if FFXV doesn't complete alienate the Japanese consumer, then FFXV should probably, maybe sell better than Splatoon.

Or in other words: I have no idea.

The only answer is no. It will not.

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Nah, that's never happening.

Will happen, and when will, much crow will be served.

Okie doakes... Just don't be disappointed when it doesn't happen. lol

Mystro-Sama said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Will happen, and when will, much crow will be served.

Okie doakes... Just don't be disappointed when it doesn't happen. lol

Like will not Sell 3 Million LT... like will not Sell 1 Million in a month... Like will not outsell Titanfall... Oh wait. Lol.

vivster said:

It's gonna be tough for Splatoon to reach the million. It's gonna be easy for FFXV to reach the million. Splatoon may reach it but FFXV should have an easier time going beyond it.

At least it's what I hope. I may have to leave this forum if FFXV bombs below splatoon.

Splatoon wil be over 600k by Obon week (Aug 16th), and it has 15 weeks to sell before holiday which is looking to not drop under 10k for at least another 5-8 weeks. Its not gonna be tough at this rate, it can hit 1mil easy even without bundling :)

600k by Aug 16th

Avg 12-13k per week (Aug 17-End of Nov) before holiday (last 5 weeks) and it'll be about 800k, then add holiday sales which will easily be 100k+. :0

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Its possible if ff15 never releases.

Reminds me of good ol Splatoon wont [insert goal] threads and early prediction threads xD

Not saying Splatoon will beat FFXV, but its funny sum still underestimate Splatoon. Ironically if Splatoon released on 3ds, FF might not have a chance lol

TheGoldenBoy said:

Before Splatoon's release this question would have been crazy. While I still think Final Fantasy XV will beat Splatoon, I don't won't be taking any bets against Splatoon.

This is what many should be keeping in mind. Good Post!!!