By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGSV costs 80 million to develop.

Expensive. Kojima needed to be reigned in a bit. What Konami has done went too far however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Damn! That sure is a lot of lost hookers! Although I am sure MGSVPP will better than 80 million dollars worth of hookers! (Well, maybe not but still)

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

AlfredoTurkey said:

That's roughly 8 times what MGS2 was... and MGS2 sold a SHIT ton more copies than this one will sell. I can understand Konami's beef with that, from a cold hard business point of view. Game costs are just ridiculous these days and developers don't really seem to give a shit. At some point, either they're going to have to scale back or the indie scene is going to completely take over.

Having said all this... I think it blows that they destroyed the MGS franchise. Let us all sing the infectious Joan Baez song from the end of MGS GZ in it's honor.

The industry in general needs to get back to a point where most AAA games will break even with 1 million in sales. If games routinely need 5 million in sales to turn a decent profit the industry is in an unsustainable position. However MGSV, with revenue from Ground Zeroes should be profitable for Konami. Just not massively profitable. Perhaps Konami set too high of a benchmark for Ground Zeroes, and game Kojima an ultimatum: If GZ doesn't make $X within a year, you are in deep shit.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Although it seems like a lot of money, it only needs to sell about 3 million copies to break even, maybe 4 million with marketing.
It can easily do that, not counting the money already made from Ground Zeroes, and surely Sony gave them some spare change for the special consoles.

This crazy guys recoup the cost with GZ

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network

The game may still turn a profit just not that much and when you consider the sales will probably come in at something like 6m total LT I can see why the higher ups would be unhappy as that is a low return for what was put into the game. The industry is going to implode on the whole AAA development costs, they need to start being more cost efficient.

Edit: Reading some of the development details I can see why things erupted, Kojima is artistic in his approach but the problem is that AAA costs stack up hard, an example is the game was consistently delayed due to things like him hiring musicians to make hundreds of songs of which he'd use only one because he deemed the others weren't perfect. They'd then be paid even more to create even more tracks, it also begs the question how much more does having Sutherland cost then David Hayter.

Captain_Yuri said:
Damn! That sure is a lot of lost hookers! Although I am sure MGSVPP will better than 80 million dollars worth of hookers! (Well, maybe not but still)

Now imagine how many hookers rockstar studios have

Burek said:
Although it seems like a lot of money, it only needs to sell about 3 million copies to break even, maybe 4 million with marketing.
It can easily do that, not counting the money already made from Ground Zeroes, and surely Sony gave them some spare change for the special consoles.

Its not a case of whether it will make a profit, but how much of potential profit they will loose from having such an inflated budget. 

ihatefatkatz said:
Is that excessive for a video game?

GTA4 budget was 100 millions

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

How much of that is marketing? or is that all just game development?