By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mozilla CEO blasts Microsoft over Windows 10 defaults

burninmylight said:
On topic here, most of you don't get why this is kind of a big deal for Mozilla. If you are a member of this site, chances are strong that you are pretty comfortable using a computer and changing your default browser in a snap. What's easy to forget is that the majority of people out there are not. Many people don't even notice what browser they are using, or couldn't even tell you if you straight up ask them. So if you switch their default browser, they may not even notice or care, they just want to get online.

This cuts into Mozilla's marketshare because it loses this segment of users that were using Firefox to Edge by default, no pun intended.

Wouldn't those people have Internet Explorer to begin with? Since they just use what originally comes with the OS? No market share lost there

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network

So not true I force updated mine at midnight that day and i still had Opera installed and Firefox.

Ppl need to stop saying I hope the eu sues Microsoft, your being so damn pety and childish . And letting your hate blind u. Grow up

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

How I just set firefox to my default within the last minute after updating to Windows 10 on my laptop from Windows 7.

1. Click on firefox icon on my toolbar (took 2 seconds.)
2. Was asked if I wanted to make firefox my default browser (took 1 second to say yes.)
3. Went to the default settings automatically and switched Edge to Firefox (took 2 seconds.)

Total time spent making firefox my default browser: 5 seconds.

That was so strenuous and tough to do. I don't know how anybody without the technical expertise that I have could do that.

pbroy said:
burninmylight said:
On topic here, most of you don't get why this is kind of a big deal for Mozilla. If you are a member of this site, chances are strong that you are pretty comfortable using a computer and changing your default browser in a snap. What's easy to forget is that the majority of people out there are not. Many people don't even notice what browser they are using, or couldn't even tell you if you straight up ask them. So if you switch their default browser, they may not even notice or care, they just want to get online.

This cuts into Mozilla's marketshare because it loses this segment of users that were using Firefox to Edge by default, no pun intended.

Wouldn't those people have Internet Explorer to begin with? Since they just use what originally comes with the OS? No market share lost there

you dont start with IE in europe, you start with the selection screen for browsers.

Around the Network

Hardly surprising. In this day and age, nobody can ever rely on people wanting to choose their service, they have to try and push it on people. Much like it wasn't enough for Microsoft to trust that their console was good enough that people would choose to play the new Tomb Raider on it. "Microsoft: It's the ONLY choice :)"

I just made chrome my default again. Not that big a deal for me.

Even if you don't think such aggressive pushing of one's own software is a deal, you can't deny this is some bad service. If a user has decided to use another browser, it's their choice, and it shouldn't be changed forcefully. And a company the size of Microsoft definitely has the resources to remember the setting. This is purely a move to push their own browser.

It's not that hard to go download the browser again or change it back to Firefox or Chrome.

Not a big deal and entirely microsoft's prerogative. If their browser winds up being bad people will still download Firefox/chrome etc, but if it's good and people like it tough cookies.

The latter doesn't seem likely though.