By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mozilla CEO blasts Microsoft over Windows 10 defaults

tak13 said:
MoHasanie said:

Edge is great. And when I updated, I still had Chrome installed so I don't see what the problem is. It only changed the default browser from Chrome to Edge. 

IT'S PERFECT!It's unbelievable that is so blazingly fast,the fastest browser,I fell in love with it!And some comments have exasperated and saddened me here,isn't supposed for instance,that a big amount of chrome users,use it for its dominance in browsing speed,now that Microsoft egde outperfoms it,you don't want to give a try to Microsoft edge to see if you could change your browser preference?

Well,chrome has a big factor to abandon it,too much ram/cpu usage which are causing lags,hasn't ever that annoyed you?Because,for me it was what brought me back  to internet explorer back in 2012(Internet explorer versions of windows 8 were awesome,especially the modern/metro version!)

Now,on topic,mozilla ceo is afraid,Microsoft edge is prooved to be the best browser,if the firefox users have sometime with it,there is a high possibility to not go back(Did Mozilla complained when internet explorer was the default?No,lol),so in some way his concern is justifiable but in an other way,it's unjust,just make your browser better or if you have extremely loyal consumers that don't want to use another browser beyond firefox,they won't be influenced by that,they will alter it,it's simple.

The only serious feauture of Microsoft edge compared to the competition,which is missing,is extension support but it's coming very soon,it will have its own extensions,from MS and other developers but it will get Firefox and Chrome extensions too),it's a stupid move that MS didn't have them on launch but anyway...

mozilla did sue m$ in europe and WON.   and why should the CEO of mozilla be afraid? he doesnt have to make profit because mozilla is a non profit organisation.

Around the Network
tak13 said:
MoHasanie said:

Edge is great. And when I updated, I still had Chrome installed so I don't see what the problem is. It only changed the default browser from Chrome to Edge. 

IT'S PERFECT!It's unbelievable that is so blazingly fast,the fastest browser,I fell in love with it!And some comments have exasperated and saddened me here,isn't supposed for instance,that a big amount of chrome users,use it for its dominance in browsing speed,now that Microsoft egde outperfoms it,you don't want to give a try to Microsoft edge to see if you could change your browser preference?

Well,chrome has a big factor to abandon it,too much ram/cpu usage which are causing lags,hasn't ever that annoyed you?Because,for me it was what brought me back  to internet explorer back in 2012(Internet explorer versions of windows 8 were awesome,especially the modern/metro version!)

Now,on topic,mozilla ceo is afraid,Microsoft edge is prooved to be the best browser,if the firefox users have sometime with it,there is a high possibility to not go back(Did Mozilla complained when internet explorer was the default?No,lol),so in some way his concern is justifiable but in an other way,it's unjust,just make your browser better or if you have extremely loyal consumers that don't want to use another browser beyond firefox,they won't be influenced by that,they will alter it,it's simple.

The only serious feauture of Microsoft edge compared to the competition,which is missing,is extension support but it's coming very soon,it will have its own extensions,from MS and apps developers but it will get Firefox and Chrome extensions too),it's a stupid move that MS didn't have them on launch but anyway...

Wow tak, you really like Edge! :P

I agree about the cpu usage of Chrome. Its very high and slows my computer a bit.  I never did return to IE though because I always found it slow, even the Windows 8 versions. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

who cares about Firefox, Chrome is extremely efficient and easy to use. everything directly connects to Google search engine, very convienent. 

generic-user-1 said:
tak13 said:
MoHasanie said:

The only serious feauture of Microsoft edge compared to the competition,which is missing,is extension support but it's coming very soon,it will have its own extensions,from MS and other developers but it will get Firefox and Chrome extensions too),it's a stupid move that MS didn't have them on launch but anyway...

mozilla did sue m$ in europe and WON.   and why should the CEO of mozilla be afraid? he doesnt have to make profit because mozilla is a non profit organisation.

That's something I don't understand: He's whinging because people won't use the free software that he doesn't get paid for.

pbroy said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Do you believe Mozilla CEO's complaints justified or not?

What's your opinion on this OP? Or are you just quietly sitting in the corner eating your popcorn?

No popcorn in the house unfortunately. lol

But I don't know. Mozilla guys could lose people who are not so tech savy by a forced changed of browsers. So I kind of understand their dislike for this modification. I read here that the change of default browser is optional so I really don't know, I don't have Windows 10 to confirm it myself. I am more concerned about the forced automatic updates.

If someone downloaded Firefox once though, they could do it again if they really want it back, even if they find restalling something as simple as a web browser difficult. If they really want it back they'd ask for help.

Then there is the fact that Windows 10 is Micro's property and they could do whatever the hell they want with it.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
Mistershine said:
generic-user-1 said:
tak13 said:
MoHasanie said:

That's something I don't understand: He's whinging because people won't use the free software that he doesn't get paid for.

no, he crys because a big corporation is abusing its monopoly in the OS market to corner the browser market.   we all lose if m$ and google own the only two browsers because they abused their market power in the os space.

mountaindewslave said:

who cares about Firefox, Chrome is extremely efficient and easy to use. everything directly connects to Google search engine, very convienent. 

You realize you can type anything into the address bar in Firefox and it goes to Google search results?  I don't see your point of why Chrome is better than Firefox.

Zappykins said:
It's totally off base. Firefox moves it's settings around every few builds. It took away our ESC button to turn of those horrible animated GIFs and now having trouble running Add Block without completely crashing Flash.

He is ridiculous, needs to look at what his own company is doing, and fix that before he starts wining about a once in 3 years upgrade/update to Windows.

Firefox has really gone down hill the last few years. He is ridiculous.

Mozilla isn't responsible for AdBlock or Flash. That's on the makers of Adblock and Adobe.

mountaindewslave said:

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone call Chrome efficient, assuming you're referring to its usage of memory.

On topic here, most of you don't get why this is kind of a big deal for Mozilla. If you are a member of this site, chances are strong that you are pretty comfortable using a computer and changing your default browser in a snap. What's easy to forget is that the majority of people out there are not. Many people don't even notice what browser they are using, or couldn't even tell you if you straight up ask them. So if you switch their default browser, they may not even notice or care, they just want to get online.

This cuts into Mozilla's marketshare because it loses this segment of users that were using Firefox to Edge by default, no pun intended.