By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mozilla CEO blasts Microsoft over Windows 10 defaults

generic-user-1 said:
Conina said:
Soleron said:
sc94597 said:

So yeah, my conclusion is that MS does not have a monopoly. I can always use a Linux distribution or I can purchase a MAC. That by definition precludes Microsoft from monopoly status. 

For whether something is or is not a monopoly I look to regulator's interpretations, not textbooks. Microsoft has already been subject to penalties over its effective market control. Intel was also charged with monopoly abuse over CPUs, despite only having 2/3 of the market and with AMD's offerings being a drop-in replacement (Linux and Mac are in no way drop-in replacements for Windows).

We are still talking about default browsers, aren't we? And in this area Microsoft has no dominating position anymore (they had this position until 2 years ago)... not with the Internet Explorer, not with Edge and not with IE + Edge together. Chrome is now the most popular browser by far.

So I don't see any problems with setting up Microsoft Edge as default browser for Windows 10 (which can be changed with a few clicks by the way).

its not about the browser, its about the OS...

they are abusing their market power in the OS space to push their browser, and thats against anti trust laws...

This. And although it's still possible to choose another browser, MS perfectly knows there is a not small percentage of people that could keep default choices, particularly if unnecessary complications are introduced to change them (and Mozilla showed that MS did this too).
Even with Ballmer gone and lead by smooth, suave and gentle Nadella, they can't help being still a little fishy every now and then, and they carefully choose the few times to be it, so that they gather the most without looking too bad, unlike Ballzilla used to do.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
Zappykins said:
It's totally off base. Firefox moves it's settings around every few builds. It took away our ESC button to turn of those horrible animated GIFs and now having trouble running Add Block without completely crashing Flash.

He is ridiculous, needs to look at what his own company is doing, and fix that before he starts wining about a once in 3 years upgrade/update to Windows.

Firefox has really gone down hill the last few years. He is ridiculous.

Mozilla isn't responsible for AdBlock or Flash. That's on the makers of Adblock and Adobe.

You missed the point, Mozilla is 100% responsible for turning off the easy ability to stop those horrible animated gifts, but they REMOVED that option. 

Now people are supposed to get an app to do that - ridiculous.

And yes, they broke firefox - so turns out you get a bunch of adds forced on people trying to use it.  Hmm, not exactly their responsibility for the app, but why did they break?

A conspiracy person would say a deal with advertisers.

In my opinion it was a much better browsers a few generations ago.  They keep breaking something that didn’t need fixing.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

generic-user-1 said:
Conina said:

Well, the world has changed a bit since 2004. Back then Windows PCs absolutely dominated devices that allowed proper internet access.

With the rise of smart phones and tablets (and Chromebooks and better console browsers) you don't need a PC anymore to use the internet. Windows is still dominating PCs, but it's not dominating internet access anymore.

A new antitrust case against Microsoft for making Edge the standard browser on Windows 10 would be much harder to make when Apple is allowed to make Safari the standard browser on a billion of their devices (Macs, iPhones, iPads) and Samsung is allowed to choose their own standard browser for their Andoid devices (also over a billion) and Google is pushing for Chrome as standard browser on Android (several billion devices):

yes, the EU should sue those companys too

Wow, since 2010, Firefox useage has gone down, maybe becauase they are making it worse? 

Just a crazy idea from little ol'me.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

AbbathTheGrim said:

Apparently Windows 10 goes to Microsoft Edge when upgraded from previous Micro OS and doesn't give an option to keep other web browsers so Mozilla CEO Chris Beard wrote an open letter to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/07/30/an-open-letter-to-microsofts-ceo-dont-roll-back-the-clock-on-choice-and-control/

arguing that he’s concerned not because of Mozilla’s position as the maker of Firefox, but because Microsoft isn’t respecting choices users made when they were using previous versions of Windows. Still, the change of defaults could cut down on the use of Mozilla’s browser, since it could cause some people to abandon Firefox because it’s no longer the default experience on their computers.

He wrote:

“The upgrade process now appears to be purposefully designed to throw away the choices its customers have made about the Internet experience they want, and replace it with the Internet experience Microsoft wants them to have,”

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955317/mozilla-ceo-blasts-microsoft-over-windows-10-defaults.html

Do you believe Mozilla CEO's complaints justified or not?

This isn't accurate. 

During the upgrade process, near the final stages, you are given the option of changing the default applications to your preference.  It's a step the user has to take that deviates from the normal process, but it is a part of the upgrade process.

Internet Explorer was my default browser of choice with Windows 7, I wouldn't necessarily have wanted my Windows 10 experience to not default to Edge.  Though, the latter requires some getting used to.  Despite some lacking features in Edge, I wouldn't necessarily want to go back to Internet Explorer either.  But Edge needs an ad blocker badly. 

Love my Google Chrome, as apparent many others do as well.