By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mozilla CEO blasts Microsoft over Windows 10 defaults

Microsoft are clearly pushing the Edge browser so everyone tries it. Personally my main browser is Chrome with Opera used as a secondary browser. Edge seems good though. Firefox seems like Netscape navigator, once good but now not worth using. Still miles better than Safari though.

My current browser preferences would be;

Chrome
Opera
Edge
Firefox
Internet Explorer
Safari

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:

its called antitrust laws, and yeah, trying to have a free market is evil.

If there was truly no regulation, companies would just merge and then charge whatever they want with no competition.

Anti-monopoly regulation is neccessary for a free market to function in a way beneficial to society.

Soleron said:
generic-user-1 said:

its called antitrust laws, and yeah, trying to have a free market is evil.

If there was truly no regulation, companies would just merge and then charge whatever they want with no competition.

Anti-monopoly regulation is neccessary for a free market to function in a way beneficial to society.

I think that was what he was saying. 

If there were no patents (government granted monopolies) however, monopolies wouldn't be an issue in the first place. 

There will always be somebody to undercut the merged corporations, and diseconomies of scale is an actual thing. 

Even then MS has no more a monopoly in the OS market than Nintendo has in the handheld video game market. Windows 10 is only a subset of all the operating systems they provide as well. 

I used to be a loyal FireFox user my entire life but then about 5 years ago a friend convinced me to try Chrome... I reluctantly downloaded it as a back up browser... It is now 2015 and I could not imagine my life without Chrome! I thought FireFox was fast... holy hell Chrome is simple, clean, fast and everything I've ever wanted in a browser.

On Topic though, I upgraded the other day to Windows 10 and my Chrome was not affected at all. I didn't even have to re set it as my default browser. Everything stayed exactly the same except now I'm using the FARRRR superior Windows 10 (over 8.1)

Chasesdaddy84 said:
Everything stayed exactly the same except now I'm using the FARRRR superior Windows 10 (over 8.1)

I think that is why. This only affects people who upgrade from Windows 7. 

But even then, see my previous post about how ridiculous this is: 

" How I just set firefox to my default within the last minute after updating to Windows 10 on my laptop from Windows 7. 
1. Click on firefox icon on my toolbar (took 2 seconds.)
2. Was asked if I wanted to make firefox my default browser (took 1 second to say yes.) 
3. Went to the default settings automatically and switched Edge to Firefox (took 2 seconds.)
Total time spent making firefox my default browser: 5 seconds. 
That was so strenuous and tough to do. I don't know how anybody without the technical expertise that I have could do that. "

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Soleron said:

Even then MS has no more a monopoly in the OS market than Nintendo has in the handheld video game market. Windows 10 is only a subset of all the operating systems they provide as well. 

Your conclusion from that graph is that MS doesn't have a monopoly?

Soleron said:
sc94597 said:

Only if Nintendo has a monopoly in handheld gaming would I agree that MS has a monopoly. From that graph one can see that 8% of persons choose to use Mac devices for home computing as of April 2014. Hence, one company doesn't solely (nor nearly) provide all operating systems. And that is only if we look at things in terms of marketshare. This says nothing about the number of firms that provide the good of operating systems. 

If we are using the economics definition of monopoly - a market in which only one firm owns a means of production for a good or provides a service - then the picture looks even more different. There are plenty of options, linux distributions, mac os, if we include all computing devices - android, blackberry, ios, etc, etc. Since mobile devices compete with home computers/laptops to an extent, we can't outright ignore them as competition. Especially, since we can always isolate the market of something to find a monopoly as nobody sells the same exact service. 

So yeah, my conclusion is that MS does not have a monopoly. I can always use a Linux distribution or I can purchase a MAC. That by definition precludes Microsoft from monopoly status. 

Still using Opera, just change your settings to the default opera, but still they don't respect the previous programs we use, it even changes for videos and music, but not a hard task to do

sc94597 said:
Soleron said:

Only if Nintendo has a monopoly in handheld gaming would I agree that MS has a monopoly. From that graph one can see that 8% of persons choose to use Mac devices for home computing as of April 2014. Hence, one company doesn't solely (nor nearly) provide all operating systems. And that is only if we look at things in terms of marketshare. This says nothing about the number of firms that provide the good of operating systems. 

If we are using the economics definition of monopoly - a market in which only one firm owns a means of production for a good or provides a service - then the picture looks even more different. There are plenty of options, linux distributions, mac os, if we include all computing devices - android, blackberry, ios, etc, etc. Since mobile devices compete with home computers/laptops to an extent, we can't outright ignore them as competition. Especially, since we can always isolate the market of something to find a monopoly as nobody sells the same exact service. 

So yeah, my conclusion is that MS does not have a monopoly. I can always use a Linux distribution or I can purchase a MAC. That by definition precludes Microsoft from monopoly status. 

there are exactly 0 companys that provide a good operating system for private users...

apple is safety scissor of OSs  and windows was created to torture people.

linux is just like firefox free software so it doesnt count.

you dont have to have 100% controll to have enough marketmight to abuse it...

and yes, nintendo has a monopoly in the handheld market, but well those are toys, nobody needs em like people need computer...

What is he talking about? There is a step during the upgrade that allows you to choose default browser. I didn't change it from Edge because I was going to do a clean install after the upgrade but there's a step for it. Also, I know you can change the default browser afterward the install so WTF is his beef?