By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mozilla CEO blasts Microsoft over Windows 10 defaults

Teeqoz said:

This isn't about advertising Firefox/Chrome. It is merely about giving you the option to keep your preferred/default browser when upgrading your OS. Just a little box you tick off where it says "I'd like to keep my default browser" and another box "I'd like Microsoft Edge to be my default browser". Once again, I don't know if it gives you that option, but if they don't, that is abusing their monopoly. It might not be so bad that it's illegal (though MS has gotten into legal troubles for something like this before), but it's still bad.

But what kind of society do we really live in, if the major issue regarding the legality of an action, is whether or not an OS provider gave us the option of ticking a box? Even you must find that to be utterly ridicolous, that I as a customer cannot take any action on my own without a company holding my hands?

Around the Network

People saying that Microsoft should be able to do whatever they want is the reason we got burned by trash like IE6 for so long. Thanks, guys.

pokoko said:
People saying that Microsoft should be able to do whatever they want is the reason we got burned by trash like IE6 for so long. Thanks, guys.

Who has said that?

Puppyroach said:
Teeqoz said:

This isn't about advertising Firefox/Chrome. It is merely about giving you the option to keep your preferred/default browser when upgrading your OS. Just a little box you tick off where it says "I'd like to keep my default browser" and another box "I'd like Microsoft Edge to be my default browser". Once again, I don't know if it gives you that option, but if they don't, that is abusing their monopoly. It might not be so bad that it's illegal (though MS has gotten into legal troubles for something like this before), but it's still bad.

But what kind of society do we really live in, if the major issue regarding the legality of an action, is whether or not an OS provider gave us the option of ticking a box? Even you must find that to be utterly ridicolous, that I as a customer cannot take any action on my own without a company holding my hands?

That's the thing, this might not be illegal, that doesn't make it a good practice lol.

I'm not arguing that this is illegal, just that it's bad practice by MS.

AFloatingDuck said:
You could just change the default browser, something which anyone with an ounce of computer understanding should be able to do. It's not a big deal.

I think you are severely underestimating the amount of people without an ounce of computer understanding

Around the Network

Edge is great. And when I updated, I still had Chrome installed so I don't see what the problem is. It only changed the default browser from Chrome to Edge. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Puppyroach said:
Ruler said:
i hope the EU sues MS again for abusing its monopoly

Why? It's their OS, they should include the services they see fit as defaults. That other companies haven't been able to create a viable option (like what exist on smart devices) shouldn't be blamed on MS.

1st, its not a company, its an non profit NGO. 

2. they have a way better browser, the problem is that m$ made it hard to change the default browser, so everytime you click a link in another programm, you open the link with edge.

3. this could be realy expensive, the EU doesnt like it if companys corner a market. free markets are valued a lot higher in europe than in the US.

M$ just wanted to make sure you got a working browser by default. Less haters now, then if M$ did nothing with browser defaults and Firefox or Chrome wasn't updated to be compatible with Win10 and you would have a broken browser. Then the whole world would be ready to hang some M$ fools for a crime they shouldn't have responsibility for. This is M$es OS and they won't let 3rd party freeloaders ruin their launch that could end them if done wrong. By default, the OS should work. If you want to ruin your computer with other programs, that's on you.

#M$DefenseForceIsOffTheHookTodayBitches

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Whats all the fuss? Just installed Windows 10 5 minutes ago and soon as I clicked the desktop icon it asked me if I want to use Chrome as default browser, Surely Firefox is the same.

MoHasanie said:

Edge is great. And when I updated, I still had Chrome installed so I don't see what the problem is. It only changed the default browser from Chrome to Edge. 

IT'S PERFECT!It's unbelievable that is so blazingly fast,the fastest browser,I fell in love with it!And some comments have exasperated and saddened me here,isn't supposed for instance,that a big amount of chrome users,use it for its dominance in browsing speed,now that Microsoft egde outperfoms it,you don't want to give a try to Microsoft edge to see if you could change your browser preference?

Well,chrome has a big factor to abandon it,too much ram/cpu usage which are causing lags,hasn't ever that annoyed you?Because,for me it was what brought me back  to internet explorer back in 2012(Internet explorer versions of windows 8 were awesome,especially the modern/metro version!)

Now,on topic,mozilla ceo is afraid,Microsoft edge is prooved to be the best browser,if the firefox users have sometime with it,there is a high possibility to not go back(Did Mozilla complained when internet explorer was the default?No,lol),so in some way his concern is justifiable but in an other way,it's unjust,just make your browser better or if you have extremely loyal consumers that don't want to use another browser beyond firefox,they won't be influenced by that,they will alter it,it's simple.

The only serious feauture of Microsoft edge compared to the competition,which is missing,is extension support but it's coming very soon,it will have its own extensions,from MS and apps developers but it will get Firefox and Chrome extensions too),it's a stupid move that MS didn't have them on launch but anyway...