By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Now the rumors can finally stop: NX is a home console, and not a "fusion/combination" device

tbone51 said:
Hello? Its not proven anything :-/

It totally has, the evidence here is irrefutable

Around the Network

Only the 3DS Dragon Quest games were announced.

It could be nothing more than the NX is compatible with 3DS games and nothing more. If anything I think this gives more weight in this being a fusion device.

I don't see how this quashes the rumors. Going by discussions here and other places, NX is supposedly a platform for both the successor for 3ds and Wii U, a home console and handheld that share the same library. If anything it strengthens the idea that a handheld and home console can share games and could be a key indicator of what the NX idea could be.

That actually doesnt mean anything, the fusion idea is that it can be a handheld and a home console. Wich is like in ONE package, developing for the NX maybe makes you develop only one version wich can be utilised by the handheld and the home console, like same architecture

Ya I really fail to see how this proves anything. Why make a 3DS version? What kind of question is that? Maybe it's because it's approaching a 20 million install base in Japan.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

hm, I don't think it's entirely off the table with that

with the 14/16nm process (currently console APUs are made in 28nm) and HBM it could be possible to get to about PS4 lvls of power in a tablet sized device

games could be rendered in 720p on the go to save power and at 1080p once it's sitting in a docking station which also connects it to the TV/wired controllers etc for home console gaming

I agree this is the likely inference. But it's hardly a logical deduction. The NX version could be the same as the 3DS one. I think the fact that we have almost nothing announced for the Wii U next year and still quite a lot expected for the 3DS does make your assumption likely correct though.

97alexk said:

That actually doesnt mean anything, the fusion idea is that it can be a handheld and a home console. Wich is like in ONE package, developing for the NX maybe makes you develop only one version wich can be utilised by the handheld and the home console, like same architecture

how can a single game be developed in such a way that will play on (for example) x86 architecture and using the same assets for a handheld?

that makes literally no sense, I can't understand this 'fusion' concept people feel so strong for.

I can imagine a vita game running on ps4 (more powerful hardware), but how could Metal Gear V play both on ps4 and then on a handheld as well? unless we're talking streaming but that's nothing new or even what people seem to be talking about this 'fusion'

Lol all Nintendo have done is said nx and people think they know comparative power of the device

DerNebel said:
It could be a 3DS successor and the DQXI version on the NX is an enhanced 3DS version I don't think that's going to be the case but that's also a possibility.

Exactly. That DQXI is also planned for NX says nothing at all about NX and keeps all options open: handheld, fusion, home console.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]