By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PS4 living up to the standards of it's predecessors?

So slow start finish strong?

Isn't it a little to early to tell?

Around the Network

So far I would have to say no since it's current library isn't doing it for me yet but I think it has some potential to beat the PS1 since others in here including me thought it has aged poorly ...

PS4 is however beating the PS3 at the same point in it's lifetime but that doesn't mean much when it took the opposite route as opposed to it's predecessors ...

Sultanofallthings said:

We are 1.5 years in and yes it is...OP is a fan of another console correct? Lame and obvious troll attempt. At 1.5 years the ps2 and ps3 never had tonnes of 9 + rated exclusives either, neither did Xbox or 360...revisionist history.

but you at least saw games that can in no way be done on the previous hardware. gears of war was groundbreaking, remember? the ps3 had a bunch of new experiences you absolutely couldnt do on the ps2 as well. and there was also the wii which had a completely new way to play the games, but i dont know if that is relevant to this discussion. these 8th gen consoles are just so lackluster, im sorry.

RWH logic:

>Complain about remasters

>Remaster the same thread every week

OT: It's selling quite well and we have seen some fairly good games, with some great ones releasing in the coming months. I can't really contribute since I don't have a PS4 and haven't owned any console within 2 years of its launch, but I would say so far it is yes. TBH it's hard to dissect an old consoles life and try to individually compare certain years after launch. There are too many variables that are subject to change, such as personal tastes. But if I look back on software releases, I have to agree with AlfredoTurkey in saying that PS2 had a beast of a first 2 years.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

RubberWhistleHistle said:
Sultanofallthings said:

We are 1.5 years in and yes it is...OP is a fan of another console correct? Lame and obvious troll attempt. At 1.5 years the ps2 and ps3 never had tonnes of 9 + rated exclusives either, neither did Xbox or 360...revisionist history.

but you at least saw games that can in no way be done on the previous hardware. gears of war was groundbreaking, remember? the ps3 had a bunch of new experiences you absolutely couldnt do on the ps2 as well. and there was also the wii which had a completely new way to play the games, but i dont know if that is relevant to this discussion. these 8th gen consoles are just so lackluster, im sorry.

LOL what? Gears could have easily be done on last gen hardware, just drop the graphics down..there was nothing ground breaking about it. The only thing those games had that ps2 could not be done was graphics....which can be scaled down...sory but thats nonsense.

Around the Network
Sultanofallthings said:

LOL what? Gears could have easily be done on last gen hardware, just drop the graphics down..there was nothing ground breaking about it. The only thing those games had that ps2 could not be done was graphics....which can be scaled down...sory but thats nonsense.

I think you'll find in previous generations we had games with guns or chainsaws as seperate entities. it was only using the specially designed hardware inside the Xbox360s tri core heart were they able to run the game engine on 1 core and a Gun and chainsaw simultaneously on the other 2 cores making gears of war possible.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:

i dont see what connection you are trying to make here. i can make threads about a console im disappointed about. 

Since your profile isn't available publicly how many of this sort of thread which begins with trying to link 3rd party remasted games on a Sony system as a negative have you created which have been locked? Recreating the same or a very similar thread will just get you the same or worse responses of people who might be turning up the directness of their replies to make them short enough to understand just in case they were not clear in the previous threads.

As for this thread do I think the system compares to how the PS1 and 2 were doing at this point in their life? well I think I was still playing the bouncer and smuglers run by now on the ps2 so yeah would definately say its offerings so far are better considering it has already had a definitive version of GTA5 which alone is above and beyond what the old librarys of games had when you take off nostalgia goggles and actually count all the polygons that the psones 33mhz of power could throw around the place.

i didnt know there was an option to make my profile more public to the audience here, but i can do that if you want to see something or i could do it for future reference next time you have a problem with something im doing lol. 

anyways, yeah, the definitive version of gta5 isnt anything to really be proud of. that is a game that originally came out on previous hardware and they did that for the sole purpose of selling it twice. i know you're smart enough to see through what they did there. they knew damn well they could sell the game twice, and if youre trying to say that one game blows out of the water all the games the ps2 had for the first 1.5 years of its life, you're out of your damn mind.

Sultanofallthings said:

That is so wrong and untrue, there were no more games that couldnt be done on the previous hardware on PS3 than there is on PS4, you are just a nostalgic not objective thinking " it was better before " , but it's wrong, anyone with a good memory know it's wrong, and even the opposite, PS3 hadnt even half of the great games coming that PS4 has, any person of good faith and objective would agree with that.

Each generation, we have the people too old in their mind who say " it was better before " without analysing the situation from an objective point of view, stuck in their nostalgy

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

ReimTime said:

RWH logic:

>Complain about remasters

>Remaster the same thread every week

OT: It's selling quite well and we have seen some fairly good games, with some great ones releasing in the coming months. I can't really contribute since I don't have a PS4 and haven't owned any console within 2 years of its launch, but I would say so far it is yes. TBH it's hard to dissect an old consoles life and try to individually compare certain years after launch. There are too many variables that are subject to change, such as personal tastes. But if I look back on software releases, I have to agree with AlfredoTurkey in saying that PS2 had a beast of a first 2 years.

LOL

that was hilarious. good one, seriously.

Looked at OP's post history..LOL yep PS4 sales sure got him salty. See you next week in the same thread.