By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PS4 living up to the standards of it's predecessors?

alternine said:
You say you're disappointed with the PS4 yet damn near every thread you make is about the PS4 Lol

i dont see what connection you are trying to make here. i can make threads about a console im disappointed about. 

Around the Network

People will say it has and list of hundreds of exclusives but in our heart of hearts, we know the truth. There's a serious lack of great games. I constantly walk into Gamestop and walk out empty handed. There should be more games that I want than I could hope to buy. That's not the case. Same for the other two consoles, too.

I'm most looking forward to going back and finishing my 7th gen console games and that has never happened to me before.

Well, i know me being here will just ruin or break the credibility of what i am to say but we are barely 2 years into the next gen cycle and as i remember from last gen first two years, it wasn't that much better.. it was actually a lot worse before Sony started to catch up with games. We should also remember that we got a lot of games in the year of 2013 on the Ps3. Sony could have saved all those games for the Ps4 but they didn't, so basically they managed to hit a slow decline alongside a new hardware with a lot more hardware power to boost greater graphics, which of course will take longer time to develope.. These sort of threads are kinda pointless but i understand the need for people to ask or bring it up.
Already up at around 200 games with great Japanese game support as well as western, i guess people just don't like the diversity on the Ps4 and would prefer to get as many games to their liking as much as possible, but the price of diversity doesn't work that way, it's hard to bring out games for everyone when you will end up with 1 out of 10 different games that you like, or 2-3-4 but you get my point. The majority of gamers that chat on the net prefer Western or european games, especially first person shooters, ofc there is no games for them when there are barely any shooters. I think last gen was over-saturated with shooters and so far in 2014-2015 it have been a nice year for other genres.

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

RubberWhistleHistle said:
alternine said:
You say you're disappointed with the PS4 yet damn near every thread you make is about the PS4 Lol

i dont see what connection you are trying to make here. i can make threads about a console im disappointed about. 

Since your profile isn't available publicly how many of this sort of thread which begins with trying to link 3rd party remasted games on a Sony system as a negative have you created which have been locked? Recreating the same or a very similar thread will just get you the same or worse responses of people who might be turning up the directness of their replies to make them short enough to understand just in case they were not clear in the previous threads.

As for this thread do I think the system compares to how the PS1 and 2 were doing at this point in their life? well I think I was still playing the bouncer and smuglers run by now on the ps2 so yeah would definately say its offerings so far are better considering it has already had a definitive version of GTA5 which alone is above and beyond what the old librarys of games had when you take off nostalgia goggles and actually count all the polygons that the psones 33mhz of power could throw around the place.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

last gen was pretty much bad after 2009

Around the Network

It's not. Yes, it's selling well. But the software? PS1, PS2 and PS3 had better software. PS2, for instance... just take a look at it's FIRST YEAR on the market and compare it to PS4's first TWO years. It's not even close.

Sony has a long, LONG way to go to match that kind of output.

I think the PS4 has a lot of AAA exclusives: Killzone, driveclub, the order, bloodborne etc. Combine this with the upcoming exclusives and I think it is doing better than the PS3. Another thing you should take into account is that games (especially AAA) need more resources and take more time to develop for this generation than previous ones. You just can't compare for instance Uncharted 4 (which is almost 4 years in production) with what ND was developing for the PS1 or the PS2.

d21lewis said:
People will say it has and list of hundreds of exclusives but in our heart of hearts, we know the truth. There's a serious lack of great games. I constantly walk into Gamestop and walk out empty handed. There should be more games that I want than I could hope to buy. That's not the case. Same for the other two consoles, too.

I'm most looking forward to going back and finishing my 7th gen console games and that has never happened to me before.

i commend you for being so down to earth about it. 

i too have seen the lists, and i have to say that just because you have a big list doesnt mean that youre automatically the best or that you have the best. so far, i havent really seen anything that cant be done on hardware from the previous generation.

globalisateur said:
PS1? When PS1 was released, the SNES Nintendo games that were released were so much better IMO like it's not a contest. My favorite PS1 game was Tomb Raider (at the beginning), not an exclusive. People were impressed by the cutscenes and higher quality music and the fact that the console looked super cool with its CD player but what about the gameplay of the first PS1 games? Who would want to replay those games now?

PS2? Tons of exclusive games after 1 year and an half? Are you kidding me? what kind of alternate reality is this? During the first year of the console the best games were PS1 games like MGS1 a remaster-ish lol.

First notable exclusive games (for me) was Jak & Daxter released 21 months after the release of the console. Metal gear solid 2 was released 20 months after the release of the console and it was only a timed exclusive.

I bought the PS2 at launch and it was such a disappointment compared to my beloved Dreamcast. Never seen such over hyped console and I still don't understand how it's still is considered as the second messiah of console gaming during its launch period.

MGS4 (which is the worst MGS of the whole franchise IMO, PSP Peace walker included) was released 18 months after PS3 launch (for US gamers) and the rest of the games you mentioned are good but not outstanding. Uncharted 1? Barely a good (8/10) game IMO.

We feel the same about the PS2s first year (Dreamcast ftw!) but its second Christmas was legendary!

And before the big guns (Ico, MGS2, DMC, THPS3, SSX2,Kinetica, Jak and Daxter, SH2, and more), we had NBA Street, Red Faction, Zone of the Enders, Onimusha,etc.

Aside from a few disappointing games, and last gen ports, my PS4 experience has been lackluster.  Speaking only for myself, though.  MGSV shouldsatisfy

We are 1.5 years in and yes it is...OP is a fan of another console correct? Lame and obvious troll attempt. At 1.5 years the ps2 and ps3 never had tonnes of 9 + rated exclusives either, neither did Xbox or 360...revisionist history.

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro