By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PS4 living up to the standards of it's predecessors?

I saw an article on N4G recently that listed a couple games the PS4 is getting that prove it is a worthy console, so it got me thinking about the PS4 versus the previous PS consoles. At this point in the PS1 and PS2's life, for example, there were a ton of exclusive great games that you could only get on the system. The PS3 had a much more rough go of things, but there were still a bunch of good games at this point. At this point we would have Heavenly Sword, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, Resistance, and were looking forward to LBP, Resistance 2, and many others. Those were great original games for the PS3, but the PS4 is severely lacking in this department.

Now take the PS4, we got bloodborne, Infamous, Knack, Killzone, and a lot, i mean a lot of remasters.When you take a look at the libraries of all 4 consoles, you can really see that the PS4 is really lacking compared to its predecessors. When is the PS4 going to turn things around? Do you think that Sony will even try to turn it around, seeing as the systems are flying off of shelves without much support? I am curious to see what you guys think.

http://n4g.com/news/1758850/games-that-will-prove-ps4-is-worthy-console (in case you were wondering about the article)

Around the Network

Not yet I think, but there's still time. It won't live up to ps2 for me most likely, but I see no reason why it can't build a similar (or better) library to the ps3.

I don't think ps1 has aged very well so I won't compare ps4 with it.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

All I care is that this year I have/will have bloodborne, until dawn, persona 5 and dragon quest heroes follow closely by uncharted 4 and ratchet and clank remake early next year. So far I'm satisfied with what I have until the next batch of exclusives come over. Then I have ton of AAA multiplatform games to look forward to . At the end of the day, I will never experience a drought in games thanks to the excellent formula of combining good 1st parties with 3rd parties games.

BraLoD said:
And here you go again.
I'll be waiting for your new thread next month as well.

well curmudgeon kind of agrees with what im saying. its not like my opinion is completely invalid and im the only one here who has it.

the ps4 has really disappointed me. 

BraLoD said:
And here you go again.

But do you really think that PS4 (to date) is worthy PS1 and PS2 library, as a JRPG fan?

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Around the Network
Stellar_Fungk said:
BraLoD said:
And here you go again.

But do you really think that PS4 (to date) is worthy PS1 and PS2 library, as a JRPG fan?

yeah, to date is an important qualifier to make. and i think its only fair to judge it against the library of ps1 and ps2 for their first 20 months.

Luckily, the PS4 doesn't have to compete against the PS1 or PS2, they just have to beat the Wii U and Xbox One.

Yeah.

On a serious note, arguments built on comparisons between generations are usually flawed and that's no different here. The main reason for that is the way the third-party market has developed around both Playstation and Xbox. We aren't going to see third-party exclusives at nearly the same rate as with previous generations, which is far from being a negative thing, no matter how you structure your argument in order to give that appearance.

The fact is, when we consider first-party exclusives AND third-party titles, it's a pretty damn good selection with some fantastic looking titles on the horizon for both Sony and Microsoft.

Now, I understand why you want to pretend third-party titles don't exist but they do and they're an important part of video-gaming. That makes the ability to play those third-party titles a pretty nice attribute to have.

Angelv577 said:
All I care is that this year I have/will have bloodborne, until dawn, persona 5 and dragon quest heroes follow closely by uncharted 4 and ratchet and clank remake early next year. So far I'm satisfied with what I have until the next batch of exclusives come over. Then I have ton of AAA multiplatform games to look forward to . At the end of the day, I will never experience a drought in games thanks to the excellent formula of combining good 1st parties with 3rd parties games.

ok, ill definitely take that. the ps4 does have a lot of third party games. just because something is third party doesnt mean its bad, but i really expected sony to support this system a lot more than it has with big and great innovative titles. i guess that is where my disappointment comes in. 

Its going to be far better than the PS3's library.
Probably equal to the PS2's.

The vast majority of remasters are from third parties. Sony's only retail remasters so far are TLOU and GOW3.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'