By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PS4 living up to the standards of it's predecessors?

I`m sure it`s safe to say the PS4 is doing much better than the PS3, since that had a rough start. I didn`t follow the PS2, though whether it will follow the PS2 in games, I`m unsure if it will. The PS2 felt as if it had so many games in its catalog, while the PS4 still feels a bit on the slow side on getting that number and variety of games.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Yes in all aspects but psplus ruined it for many people

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

I'm disappointed too because I don't have money to buy a PS4.

It's just wrong, i know the first 2 years of ps3, i got 8 game only.... and atm i have already 16 ps4 games and more 5 comming this years in pre-order...

Ps4 doing a lot better than ps3 for me, at least for my taste of game. i would say this do even with ps1, now with ps2 its harder to say because i don't remember what was earlier ps2 era, buyed many american game (because there was less game in europe) i don't done this with ps1 & ps3 or ps4

And atm with my PC/ps4/Psvita/3DS, i have no time to play everthing :'(

Speaking from an RPG standpoint, the PS4 is definitely starting to live up to its predecessors.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network

For me personally, the PS4 is the most dissapointing console (up to this point) that I have ever owned. 2016 looks like it will be phenominal but the first two years have been underwhelming for me (exclusives).

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Bloodborne was the first game that made me actively want to buy a Ps4, I'm going to need two or three more, to justify a purchase. I'm sure the games will come eventually, Horizon might be my next must-buy. So, yes, the library is a bit lacking for a console that has almost two years on the market by now, but it'll get there.

Another thread?
I can only say that Playstation support is good and 2016 is looking to be amazing!

Depends what predecessor.

PS2? No, but PS2 set an impossibly high standard for its first 18months of Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2, GTA3, Devil May Cry, Tekken Tag, Kigndom Hearts, Jack And Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Crash Bandicoot, Time Splitters 1, Grandia, Dark Cloud and I'm sure plenty more I've missed.

Compared to the PS3, I'd argue yes... Ignore exclusives for a minute and just look at quality experiences. PS4 has more then what PS3 had in its first 2 years, no doubt.

teigaga said:

Depends what predecessor.

PS2? No, but PS2 set an impossibly high standard for its first 18months of Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2, GTA3, Devil May Cry, Tekken Tag, Kigndom Hearts, Jack And Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Crash Bandicoot, Time Splitters 1, Grandia, Dark Cloud and I'm sure plenty more I've missed.

Compared to the PS3, I'd argue yes... Ignore exclusives for a minute and just look at quality experiences. PS4 has more then what PS3 had in its first 2 years, no doubt.

This sums up my feelings on the topic pretty well, especially the ending point. If you're comparing directly competing consoles then using exclusives is understandable (or if you're just comparing two, simply what is and isn't on each), but in this case it makes more sense to compare the overall experience provided by both. To that extent, i'd put the PS4 above the PS3 but behind the PS2.

If for some reason we are looking specifically at exclusives though, i think all three present gen systems are a step down from their predecessors. That much of that is due to 3rd parties moving further away from exclusivity in general makes me fine with that though, especially at a primarily PC gamer.