By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why did the Xbox outsell the GameCube?

plus people like me who is not because of Halo but interested to see how the strongest console game can be during that time, chosen the XB and not GC...

Around the Network
Conina said:
tokilamockingbrd said:
That said the Gamecube has a 10x better library than the original Xbox. But hype sells a lot, particularly back in 01-03 when most gamers were still under 18.

10 times better library... really? Even if we leave out all the high rated annual sport games, there are over 40 great Xbox games left with a MetaScore of 85 or higher:

Halo 1 + 2, GTA III + Vice City + San Andreas, Ninja Gaiden Black, Splinter Cell 1 + 2 + 3, Burnout 2 + 3 + Revenge, SW: KotOR + Jade Empire + The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time + The Two Thrones, Forza Motorsport, Project Gotham Racing 1 + 2, Rallisport Challenge 1 + 2, Midnight Club 2, SoulCalibur 2, Half-Life 2 + Doom 3, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Max Payne, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 + Earned in Blood, Psychonauts, Jet Set Radio Future, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Crimson Skies 2, Dead or Alive 3, Beyond Good & Evil, MGS 2: Substance, Mercenaries, Far Cry Instincts, Fable, The Warriors,...

Please feel free to list 400 GC-games that are as least as good as these Xbox games... or 300... or 200...

many of those games were on the gamecube also.

many of those are late ports. Almost all of those are on the PC.

Many in the list you produced were shit games.

There is a reason the classic GC games sell for well more than they did when they released (on Ebay of course).

Xbox was nicknamed the Halobox for a reason. Most got one to play Halo. Some just thought it was cool because it had an X in the name.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tokilamockingbrd said:
Conina said:
tokilamockingbrd said:
That said the Gamecube has a 10x better library than the original Xbox. But hype sells a lot, particularly back in 01-03 when most gamers were still under 18.

10 times better library... really? Even if we leave out all the high rated annual sport games, there are over 40 great Xbox games left with a MetaScore of 85 or higher:

Halo 1 + 2, GTA III + Vice City + San Andreas, Ninja Gaiden Black, Splinter Cell 1 + 2 + 3, Burnout 2 + 3 + Revenge, SW: KotOR + Jade Empire + The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time + The Two Thrones, Forza Motorsport, Project Gotham Racing 1 + 2, Rallisport Challenge 1 + 2, Midnight Club 2, SoulCalibur 2, Half-Life 2 + Doom 3, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Max Payne, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 + Earned in Blood, Psychonauts, Jet Set Radio Future, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Crimson Skies 2, Dead or Alive 3, Beyond Good & Evil, MGS 2: Substance, Mercenaries, Far Cry Instincts, Fable, The Warriors,...

Please feel free to list 400 GC-games that are as least as good as these Xbox games... or 300... or 200...

many of those games were on the gamecube also. a few, not many... please feel free to put them in your list

many of those are late ports. which ones? please name them, if they were months earlier on other systems

Almost all of those are on the PC. irrelevant for console gamers who don't play on PC

Many in the list you produced were shit games. which ones? please name them

There is a reason the classic GC games sell for well more than they did when they released (on Ebay of course). only a fraction of the GC games and only in mint condition

Xbox was nicknamed the Halobox for a reason. Yeah, the reason were the extreme fans of Nintendo or Sony who wanted to downplay the Xbox

Most got one to play Halo. The Xbox has one of the highest tie ratio of all consoles: http://www.vgchartz.com/platforms/

Some just thought it was cool because it had an X in the name. Your arguments get stupider every minute... any more FUD?

Oh, and again: please feel free to reduce the list of good reviewed Xbox titles above to the Xbox games which were good in your opinion. Then deliver a list of good GameCube titles which is 10x better. 

Ryng_Tolu said:
Ruler said:

maybe because it had amazing looking exclusives like Shadow of the Collossus, Silent Hill 3 and Metal Gear Solid 3?

Metal Gear Solid 3 sold less than Melee or Sunshine.

Silent hill and Collossus was a niche games...

That's not the reason, what is the best seller on PS2? Grand Theft Auto...

The TRULY reason is just the marketing, the sales of the PS2 games confirmed this.

let forget about Gran turismo.

GT3: 15m

GT4: 11.5m

yeap, marketing was the reason that pushed ps2.  sarcastic mode Off

Angelv577 said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Metal Gear Solid 3 sold less than Melee or Sunshine.

Silent hill and Collossus was a niche games...

That's not the reason, what is the best seller on PS2? Grand Theft Auto...

The TRULY reason is just the marketing, the sales of the PS2 games confirmed this.

Humm, so 155 million of user bought PS2 only for Gran Turismo. Seem legit... sarcastic mode off

Seriusly, i didn't say PS2 has not good exclusive (it has awesome games) but the TRULY reason of those sales, yes, is the marketing. Just accept this.

Around the Network

Because Microsoft banked up the brinks truck to multiple third party developers and went billions of dollars into the red, to out sell the Gamecube by a whole two million units.

Ryng_Tolu said:
Angelv577 said:

Humm, so 155 million of user bought PS2 only for Gran Turismo. Seem legit... sarcastic mode off

Seriusly, i didn't say PS2 has not good exclusive (it has awesome games) but the TRULY reason of those sales, yes, is the marketing. Just accept this.

you have to understand that ps and xbox owners aren't like nintendo fans.  ps and xbox owners buy those console for the whole library, obviously the sales are going to be more spread out.  most nintendo fans buy the console for nintendo games only, that's why ninteno games sales varies hugely depending of the install base, this is also the reason nintendo games has huge attach ratio unlike ps and xbox conole.

Angelv577 said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

you have to understand that ps and xbox owners aren't like nintendo fans.  ps and xbox owners buy those console for the whole library, obviously the sales are going to be more spread out.  most nintendo fans buy the console for nintendo games only, that's why ninteno games sales varies hugely depending of the install base, this is also the reason nintendo games has huge attach ratio unlike ps and xbox conole.

We don't talk about PS and XBOX VS Ninty

We talk about Ninty and XBOX VS PS

The point is: the PS2 sold so much BECAUSE the marketing, and the people can say that PS2 have the better of the better games ever, that's change nothing.

The DS has sold like a monster. why? because Pokémon... because Mario... yes... but the bigger reason is the marketing ( that many people call "casual" , this word is used only for the Nintendo marketing recently... )

The PS2 was also my first console. (i was a kid, and my dad buy this console because he, like me, didn't knew what was XBOX or GC)

Like all of my friends. All with a PS2, and they even knew what was one GameCube, or one XBOX...

Ryng_Tolu said:
Angelv577 said:

Huh? Do you understand what marketing is? Its entire purpose is to inform people about a product. Are you suggesting the Xbox/GameCube marketing were so bad that gamers didn't know about those consoles or understand what they were? Or maybe that the ps2 marketing mislead/lied to people about what they were getting? Simply saying, "it's marketing, deal with it" is nonsense. Explain what you mean, because the only two scenarios I can think of both fly in the face of reality.

The reality is that the Ps2 had over 5 times as many total games as the gc and over 3 times as many as the Xbox. It also had a higher number of well received exclusives, a much more well rounded library that appealed more to a global audience, goodwill from the ps1, etc. The reasons the PS2 handily sold more hardware and software that generation are numerous, so reducing it to "lol marketing" is ridiculous at best.

nanarchy said:
dharh said:
Halo, hard drive, xbox live, dvd. It truly showed something _new_ and was not a gimmick. It had true enhancements to what we knew of console gaming. Despite that, it was a failure btw.

It wasn't a failure, it was hugely successful for them in terms of what their goals were. They never expected to make money or be the leading console, they were up front about that at the time which was pissing investors off big time as they were saying it was a long term bet and it worked.

Well, that depends on what you mean by "worked". Overall Xbox still hasn't made money for Microsoft, and they also spent a lot of resources there which they could've spent in other things that actually would've given a return. It was a long term bet, and it worked out....kinda. There is no reason for investors to be pissed about xbox currently, as it will be overall profitable this gen, but for investors then, they had every right to be pissed, as it still hasn't been beneficial for Microsoft in the long run. You could argue that the value of xbox (xbox brand+their IPs+their devs) is enough to make up for that, and that in that sense they have made money, and I'd agree to some extent, but Xbox was by no means a great business move from Microsoft. I'm really glad they did join the console fray though, as it either brought us, or at the very least shortened the wait for many great features to be brought to consoles.