By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why did the Xbox outsell the GameCube?

I think back and I find it strange how Xbox was able to sell more than the GameCube. The first-part games seem a lot stronger on the GameCube than the Xbox, and the third-party support for the GameCube was far better than the Wii U's today. It seems that several third-party games on the Xbox were also released on the GameCube.

I hope I don't like sound I'm bashing the Xbox, because I really do think it was a great console. But what was the reason for gamers chosing the Xbox over the GameCube?

Around the Network

Halo.

There's really nothing more to it.

Halo.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Ask him:

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Halo was a phenomenon.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network

A certain game...Not gonna say which game, just a certain game

Well, in terms of profitability the XBox is the biggest console failure ever, but Halo did really help it sell more than the GameCube.

Ultrashroomz said:

Ask him:

Hey Chief, why did the Xbox outsold the Gamecube?

Chief: ..........

The silent type, oh well.

Proud to be a Californian.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Microsoft buying Halo was one of the best acquisitions ever made in the gaming industry. It pretty much made Xbox competitive by itself.

It was also the first time I really remember a clump of console fans being super obnoxious in their support. It spawned a group of fanboys who rivaled the DBZ crowd as "people you least want to see enter a chat-room." I can only imagine that many of them were transplanted PC fans, as they would usually say things like, "lol h4l0 pwn3rz ps2 grfX lol".