By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why did the Xbox outsell the GameCube?

Definitely Halo. Also the Xbox was a very good console. I still have my OG Xbox. Then again...I love my GameCube. Funny I loved those 2 consoles more than my PS2, although I had most of my games on the PS2. Sorry I started rambling. :-l

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network

They stole the first person shooter crowd that N64 had with Goldeneye/Perfect Dark.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The GC VS XBOX was a pretty nice battle... funny too, At first GC was above XBOX, the XBOX surpass GC, then GC surpass again XBOX, and then XBOX surpass again GC...
This was after PS3 VS 360 the bigger close console war ever. 

And was a very nice battle in both Globally and in the US. in 2003 GC has outsold XBOX not only globally, but even in the US:

US 2003 XBOX GC
Jan 164.000 81.000
feb 199.000 165.000
mar 165.000 165.000
apr 127.000 101.000
may 124.000 84.000
jun 167.000 124.000
jul 137.000 127.000
aug 146.000 100.000
sep 172.000 165.000
oct 176.000 254.000
nov 490.000 754.000
dec 1.122.000 1.163.000

It was more than Halo. Live was brand new. They had Peyton Manning pimping the new NFL Sports game. Shenmue was released(1&2 again). The system was brand new. Platforming and party games were apart of it as well. Listen to music you stored while you play your games. Halo was main no doubt but there were other very good factors.

It was first console that was very Western-centric - for people who were not already into PC gaming, that was something very different than usual console offerings.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Halo.

There's really nothing more to it.

Well, according to VGC Halo 2 sold around 8.49 millions, which means at least 16 million Xbox users didnt buy the console because of it. So there has to be something  more to it.

It is also worth noting that the XBox only had two games above the 4 millions mark, whereas the GC had four.  Also, Super Smash Bros. Melee is not that far behind Halo 2 (and actually it sold better than Halo 1).

So like I said, theres gotta be something more to it.

because it wanted to

#1 Amb-ass-ador

People say Halo but there is more then that. A little port named Grand Theft Auto maybe. VVestern oriented games. PC oriented games. Xbox live.

TheSting said:

It was more than Halo. Live was brand new. They had Peyton Manning pimping the new NFL Sports game. Shenmue was released(1&2 again). The system was brand new. Platforming and party games were apart of it as well. Listen to music you stored while you play your games. Halo was main no doubt but there were other very good factors.

I agree.Yeah halo was big, but there were many factors that sold the console.I never owned an Xbox up until the XB1, but I remember being really impressed with all the homebrew the console had.To me consoles were just about putting a disc in a console and playing, so it really blew me away when I saw all the things the console was capable of , since at the time I just had no idea how it was doing them.I really do believe that homebrew may have been one of the reasons of why it outsold the GC.

The Master Chief