By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why did the Xbox outsell the GameCube?

ganoncrotch said:
TheSting said:

It was more than Halo. Live was brand new. They had Peyton Manning pimping the new NFL Sports game. Shenmue was released(1&2 again). The system was brand new. Platforming and party games were apart of it as well. Listen to music you stored while you play your games. Halo was main no doubt but there were other very good factors.

Shenmue 1 was not on the original Xbox, Shenmue II was indeed on the system and it included a "movie" which was a collection of the cutscenes from the first game. But the first game was only ever on the Dreamcast in playable form.

Gotcha. It's been awhile. I know I enjoyed Dead or Alive Ultimate, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Test Drive, Mechassault, KOTOR and many many more. The system was awesome. 

Around the Network
TheSting said:
ganoncrotch said:

Shenmue 1 was not on the original Xbox, Shenmue II was indeed on the system and it included a "movie" which was a collection of the cutscenes from the first game. But the first game was only ever on the Dreamcast in playable form.

Gotcha. It's been awhile. I know I enjoyed Dead or Alive Ultimate, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Test Drive, Mechassault, KOTOR and many many more. The system was awesome. 

Yeah it's a fantastic console, the upgraded ports of GTA3/VC and San Andreas on it really shows off the power difference between it and the PS2 or just massive open world games like Morrowind really do show off its PC hardware in a console shell.

Off topic but - Was actually playing a game on my original Xbox earlier that I found in a 2nd hand shop.... was not one of the gems on the system tho "Shadow the Hedgehog" even the Xbox's extra mhz couldn't do anything to make that piece of shit playable, utterly wasted my time trying to find a playable sonic game in it.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

TheSting said:
ganoncrotch said:

I found Dead or Alive Ultimate very fun as well! Probably my favourite Xbox game.

HomokHarcos said:
TheSting said:

I found Dead or Alive Ultimate very fun as well! Probably my favourite Xbox game.

Yea that and Crimson Skies along with all what else I mentioned. I still have Ultimate 

It didn't outsell the GameCube.

Around the Network

you have to understand how strongly Microsoft marketed the Xbox when coming into the game industry

obviously the Gamecube did not really sell that well for Nintendo anyway, but with Microsoft pushing their system so hard it's natural they would sell a lot in the USA especially. and as others have mentioned, Halo was huge and arguably the sole reason the Xbox sold as much as it did

that said, Microsoft invested a tonnnnnn into the system and surely lost a huge amount of money to force themselves into the gaming industry. Nintendo was very profitable in that generation with the Gamecube and GBA despite not selling as many units as their competition

bowserthedog said:

It didn't outsell the GameCube.

Yes , it did:

"With more than 825 Xbox games available and more than 24 million Xbox consoles sold worldwide, the community of Xbox gamers continue to have superb videogame experiences."

http://web.archive.org/web/20080621155352/http://www.xbox.com/zh-SG/community/news/2006/20060510.htm

GC:

http://www.webcitation.org/60VrBE6Cp

http://www.ign.com/wikis/history-of-video-game-consoles/Nintendo_GameCube

It offered dumbed-down Master Race games that bloody peasants couldn't have played in the original version.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
It offered dumbed-down Master Race games that bloody peasants couldn't have played in the original version.

Deary me, the Vista exclusive PC version of Halo 2 was indeed master Race'y :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

People keeps saying "Halo"... I'll say just way better marketing.... Halo was part of the marketing, but I'm not going to say that the good quality of the game is the main reason of its success, I say that a good 50% is thanks to that.

Hey don't click here ! It's creepy !!

I want a PlayStation All-Stars Sequel ! Come on Sony, stop making too many shooters !

I'll make a better signature when I'll have time to do it...