By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why did the Xbox outsell the GameCube?

To be honest, I just don't know why xbox beat gamecube. I never tried the console nor met someone close to me that had one . The first time that I heard of halo was when one day one of my friends that went to the army (he was in Germany) called me and said to me that he bought a xbox and the halo game and in my mind I was like WTF is that game, then I though he should have bought a ps2 since it was the popular console in my neighborhood. Every time I went to game stop to buy a game, always saw xbox as the loser of the three, never knew or had an idea that it was giving a hard time to the gamecube. I was in high school and didn't have internet at that moment so it was pretty understandable my ignorance.

Around the Network

i loved the gamecube still have a ton of games for it,i bought my xbox for doom3 and halo plus online play!

I almost bought one for Sudeki and Dead Or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. I was so horny back then.

So horny.

Angelv577 said:
To be honest, I just don't know why xbox beat gamecube. I never tried the console nor met someone close to me that had one . The first time that I heard of halo was when one day one of my friends that went to the army (he was in Germany) called me and said to me that he bought a xbox and the halo game and in my mind I was like WTF is that game, then I though he should have bought a ps2 since it was the popular console in my neighborhood. Every time I went to game stop to buy a game, always saw xbox as the loser of the three, never knew or had an idea that it was giving a hard time to the gamecube. I was in high school and didn't have internet at that moment so it was pretty understandable my ignorance.

For me it was a bit different: I had a PS2, 2 of my friends only had an XBox, 1 had an XBox and PS2, and 1 had a GameCube. So, growing up, I knew more peopel with an XBox than a PS2.

If Xbox Live had never debuted on the console, in other words if it were simply a stand alone game player with no form of connectivity, the original Xbox would not have sold anywhere close to what it did, and it certainly wouldn't have beaten the Gamecube.
That was the main selling feature of the console.
Halo Combat Evolved certainly helped to move units, but without Halo 2 showing what a console's online infrastructure was capable of in terms of connected gameplay and community, the Xbox would have been a distant third.
Xbox Live is what really sold the console and Halo's massive sales at that time were because of that feature.
Online is what moved the console, Halo is what legitimized it.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Angelv577 said:

For me it was a bit different: I had a PS2, 2 of my friends only had an XBox, 1 had an XBox and PS2, and 1 had a GameCube. So, growing up, I knew more peopel with an XBox than a PS2.

yeah, it varies from person to person.  xbox definitely was more popular in certain places than others.

Conina said:

Oh, and again: please feel free to reduce the list of good reviewed Xbox titles above to the Xbox games which were good in your opinion. Then deliver a list of good GameCube titles which is 10x better. 

The 10x was hyperbole. As the quality of game is purely subjective based on a person's taste cant realistically quantify with a simple modifier.

The XBox's big selling point was Halo, and a Beach Volleyball game initially. Later on it got a few good games like Splinter Cell, and a few others.

The reason why its library is so weak is simple. The console had a 4 year life before the 360 launched, add onto that MS had shifted priorities a year ahead of that. So it essentially got 3 years of full support from the time it launch. The Gamecube has a 5 year cycle with major titles released in the 5th year. So its 5 years versus 3.

If you just line up the 1st 3 years of each with each other I am sure it is quite even but the gamecube was getting games like Paper Mario, MP2, Twighlight Princess and others after the XB360 was already released.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tokilamockingbrd said:
Conina said:

Oh, and again: please feel free to reduce the list of good reviewed Xbox titles above to the Xbox games which were good in your opinion. Then deliver a list of good GameCube titles which is 10x better. 

The 10x was hyperbole. As the quality of game is purely subjective based on a person's taste cant realistically quantify with a simple modifier.

The XBox's big selling point was Halo, and a Beach Volleyball game initially. Later on it got a few good games like Splinter Cell, and a few others.

The reason why its library is so weak is simple. The console had a 4 year life before the 360 launched, add onto that MS had shifted priorities a year ahead of that. So it essentially got 3 years of full support from the time it launch. The Gamecube has a 5 year cycle with major titles released in the 5th year. So its 5 years versus 3.

If you just line up the 1st 3 years of each with each other I am sure it is quite even but the gamecube was getting games like Paper Mario, MP2, Twighlight Princess and others after the XB360 was already released.

Don't know where you're getting that info, as Paper Mario and Metroid Prime 2 were both released a year before the 360 came out.

Chris Hu said:

LOL you gotta be kidding most people bought the original X-Box for more then just Halo it has a higher game attachment ratio then both the GameCube and PS2.  The fact is it was the most capable console of that generation and it had the most features it was the best platform to play 3rd party games on.

It might have a better attach ratio than the PS2 but it doesn't have a better ratio in any given region PS2 has a better ration in NA, Europe, Japan , and the rest of the world. It doesn't have a better WW because XB had so many more of it's sales in it's best region NA, while the PS2 had more balance sales so it's average is brough down more.

BlkPaladin said:

And the advertising thing is one of the main reason from a money standpoint Nintendo was makeing so much more profit than Sony in that
time span.

The difference in revenue was hardly from the differene in Advertising.
The GC was harldy what made Nintendo all that money though, there were still GB games selling and then the 80 millin GBA and all the GBA games. While sony had other divisions that were starting to bleed money.