By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion: Is Nintendo being greedy with Super Mario Maker?

Tagged games:

DonFerrari said:
noname2200 said:
DonFerrari said:
Will people say Sony copied Nintendo on this as well?

Four styles is more like 4 skin packs.

The physics, powerups, and abilities all vary between the four versions though. You can't do a wall jumping stage unless it's the NSMB mode, for example. An all flying stage is also impossible for the original or NSMB modes, or a kuribo's shoe stage in anything besides Mario 3, etc. The styles are more than merely skins.

Care to explain that would be hard to implement?

It's like saying it's okay for Microsoft to charge 200 for Rare Replay since there is 30 games with very different gameplay.

Except Super Mario Maker is very much a new game and not an old one.

The Rare Replay is better than Nintendo's VC pricing though, but that's not the topic of this thread.

Around the Network

I wonder how many people complaining here, bought the last of us and gta v on the ps3 and ps4, such hypocrisy is astounding. Also considering a lot of ps4 and xbox1 game are up to €75, how exactly are Nintendo the greedy ones here when games they release rarely even reach €60. Pikmin 3 released for less than €40 where I'm from. Why is no one complaining about fifa or cod being sold for €75. I'm probably not going to buy this game any time soon but seriously there are better things to complain about than a game that will probably give some people hundreds of hours of enjoyment being 60€

DonFerrari said:
noname2200 said:
DonFerrari said:
Will people say Sony copied Nintendo on this as well?

Four styles is more like 4 skin packs.

The physics, powerups, and abilities all vary between the four versions though. You can't do a wall jumping stage unless it's the NSMB mode, for example. An all flying stage is also impossible for the original or NSMB modes, or a kuribo's shoe stage in anything besides Mario 3, etc. The styles are more than merely skins.

It's like saying it's okay for Microsoft to charge 200 for Rare Replay since there is 30 games with very different gameplay.

No to both statements. I simply pointed out that a statement is incorrect. Whether you think they should modify the four styles to play completely identically (and thus eliminate uniqueness, changing them from homages to their source materials to mere "skins" in truth) is an entirely different story.

pikashoe said:
I wonder how many people complaining here, bought the last of us and gta v on the ps3 and ps4, such hypocrisy is astounding. Also considering a lot of ps4 and xbox1 game are up to €75, how exactly are Nintendo the greedy ones here when games they release rarely even reach €60. Pikmin 3 released for less than €40 where I'm from. Why is no one complaining about fifa or cod being sold for €75. I'm probably not going to buy this game any time soon but seriously there are better things to complain about than a game that will probably give some people hundreds of hours of enjoyment being 60€

seems like you live in a place with very bad pricing

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

noname2200 said:
DonFerrari said:
noname2200 said:

No to both statements. I simply pointed out that a statement is incorrect. Whether you think they should modify the four styles to play completely identically (and thus eliminate uniqueness, changing them from homages to their source materials to mere "skins" in truth) is an entirely different story.

some are justifying it having the gameplay of 4 marios as it being a reason to be worth 60

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

LPB3 isn't very comparable to Super Mario Maker though.

DonFerrari said:
noname2200 said:
DonFerrari said:
noname2200 said:

some are justifying it having the gameplay of 4 marios as it being a reason to be worth 60

I'll confess to being a bit confused. Are you advocating that Nintendo consolidate the four gameplays into one, or...?

noname2200 said:
DonFerrari said:
noname2200 said:

I'll confess to being a bit confused. Are you advocating that Nintendo consolidate the four gameplays into one, or...?

nope... I like the idea of different gameplays (could be independent of the skin, but that isn't a problem)... just that saying that it having 4 different sets of blocks and gameplays justify 60 for me is bullocks... altough someone saying they would pay 60 or more because it's the game they always wanted, ok.

They should charge 30 maybe 40 at the most but definitely not 60.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

60 dollars for a "cinematic" 6-hour experience, perfectly fine.
60 dollars for a game with a potential of hundreds of hours of great fun, a chance to be creative and share your creations, be a part of a game that most likely will create sweet communities and share amazing ideas - OUTRAGEOUS! THIS GAME SHOULD BE FREE!

"This game feels cheap" "feels like a DLC-game" "feels like an indie-title" "feels like 2 people did this over a weekend, 5 dollars max". Splatoon got the same stuff.

Why is this? Where does it come from? Why are people so obsessed over devaluing Nintendo games?

And the obvious follow-up, that NO ONE seem to realize: Why isn't the Witcher 3 200 dollars? Why was Destiny so crazy "cheap"? What about GTAV? Should that have been 500 dollars or something? How do you come up with these weird ideas about how much a game is "allowed" to cost?
Should Blizzard say, when Overwatch releases, "Well guys, we spent 15 years and billions of dollars on this. You know how it is, we at Blizzard are crazy rich and can experiment and polish forever. However, since the game was such an investment, we are now asking for 1000 dollars / copy. You don't mind, right?"

Going away from the 60 dollar model could absolutely be a good thing. Setting prices based on feelings? Wtf?
Developers gotta' eat! Look at what you're GETTING for the price you put in. Think the price is bad? Don't buy it.
People are so happy to spend far beyond the 60 dollar mark with DLC and micro-transactions, and yet, all of a sudden, a game is trash because it costs more than 10 dollars.

Make up your god damn minds!