By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion: Is Nintendo being greedy with Super Mario Maker?

Tagged games:

fluky-nintendy said:

Do you also think Nintendo is being greedy/lazy with Super Mario Maker too? That they should have put more effort in making it a more well looking game and with Story mode as well?

It comes with 100 levels out of the box and you can essentially create 4 different styles of 2D Mario games (Both in looks and physics)... I wouldn't call that greedy. 

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Will people say Sony copied Nintendo on this as well?

Four styles is more like 4 skin packs.

The physics, powerups, and abilities all vary between the four versions though. You can't do a wall jumping stage unless it's the NSMB mode, for example. An all flying stage is also impossible for the original or NSMB modes, or a kuribo's shoe stage in anything besides Mario 3, etc. The styles are more than merely skins.

97alexk said:

No i dont think so, nintendo are doing a great job with super mario maker

Asking AAA game price for 2D level creator game with resused assets ? Did they spend $10 -15 + milion dollars to make this game ?

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

PenguinZ said:
fluky-nintendy said:

Do you also think Nintendo is being greedy/lazy with Super Mario Maker too? That they should have put more effort in making it a more well looking game and with Story mode as well?

It comes with 100 levels out of the box and you can essentially create 4 different styles of 2D Mario games (Both in looks and physics)... I wouldn't call that greedy. 

Anyone can make 100 levels using that level creator if 30 days are given easily.

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

In terms of development cost vs shelf cost, the profit margins will be huge. The programming side is very simple compared to other games, and much of the art is already done.

But in terms of value to the consumer, I think it's pretty good. They've added a lot since the reveal.

Around the Network
biglittlesps said:
PenguinZ said:
fluky-nintendy said:

Anyone can make 100 levels using that level creator if 30 days are given easily.

I tried the demo myself. The levels they have already in the game are pretty damn fun -- easily more fun, and more insane than anything in NSMB, and arguably anything from the other 2D Mario predecessors.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

biglittlesps said:

Making 100 levels is easy as pie. Making 100 good levels on the other hand...

dan_banan said:
you get to design your own mario game. MARIO game. your own. you get to design it! how is it NOT worth full retail price??

Game prices are decided based on efforts and the money spent to develop that. Nintendo is always greed and uses their IP''s strengths to charge more from gamers to the content thats not worth in efforts.

forest-spirit said:
biglittlesps said:

Making 100 levels is easy as pie. Making 100 good levels on the other hand...

Good levels? Lets see how good they are compard to community levels once its released. Anyone with creative ideas and if did spend some time on that game to get used can make easily good 100 levels. There are many creative people in gamers who does great job in community user genrated content in many games.

Rustuv said:

as lack of a Nintendo made campaign been confirmed? To be fair though it would be the first level editor sold at full pr that that ice without one (not that that is an excuse mind you) the game also comes with a book, if that book is worth the extra cash is yet to be known but it's there. The price it's self is also not official yet and amazon has been known to speculate.

Anything but. This game may actually have the largest marketing campaign of any WiiU game ever.

The Nintendo Access event at Best Buy was pretty big. Nintendo's biggest retail promotion in very long, long time -- for a game that won't even release for another 3 months.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016