By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: We're Not Interested In High End Specs (Hardware)

small44 said:
They better don't expect huge hardware sales for NX then

They shouldn't expect large sales if they released another expensive console. The Nintendo audience doesn't care about cutting edge graphics.

Frankly, if a Nintendo console can sell 30 million units without losing money on the hardware then they're in a good position. That's a large audience to push their games on.

However, I'm starting to think they should go multiplat. People love Nintendo games but not the hardware.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Good. Be comparable to XB1 and PS4 in terms of power but with Nintendo flavor and games. Be insanely cheap to port to so 3rd parties have virtually no barrier of entry. Provide a single platform for portable and home console experiences with unified digital/VC offerings.

$$

I don't think that means they won't have powerful hardware at all. Just means that their hardware philosophy doesn't involve a tech race to the top and a price race to the bottom. The GCN wasn't made to be a powerful console. Still was. The SNES wasn't made to be a powerful console. Still was. The N64 wasn't made to be a powerful console. Still was.

People are definitely in the right in expecting a powerful console. I think people are in the wrong when they think Nintendo will compromise their overall vision to achieve that power.

BC, is staying. They aren't going to compromise that for more power. An affordable price point is staying. They aren't compromising that for power. The gamepad is staying. Won't compromise that for power. Whatever the NX is will be the most powerful thing that they can create that maintains that initial vision for the NX. That's why, for example, they won't use X86 if it means dropping BC. Not happening.

But yeah, far from "we're not interested in high specs." Title is completely incorrect. They are just not interested in a spec penis measuring contest like the other two are.

Moonhero said:
And this is why you lose. :(

They lose if the price is high and they can't win the core audience from Sony and MS. Nintendo doesn't even make the type of games core gamers want.

If Wii U launched for $199-$249 and with a Wiimote instead of the tablet, I guarantee they would be doing much better.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

im good with it. i dont care about graphics.

Around the Network

The NX just died, even before it came to life.

EDIT: Ok now that I actually read the whole Miyamoto quotes, it doesn't seem like they're not interesting in high specs at all, but that they're not interested in the spec wars like Sony and MS pretty much are. Which sorta ties in my hopes of the next console launching late 2017 or so, in which case it'd release 4 years after the Xbone/PS4 and 2 years before the next Sony/MS consoles, in which case if the console is standard or semi-standard (which I hope to God it is), it won't be as powerful as the Xbox2/PS5 but it will be in the same ballpark of graphics unlike the WiiU - PS4/Xbone case. Though this is Nintendo we're talking about and they could very well release a console that's weaker than the PS4, lmao.

While he doesn't really say it, we all fear what we know it means. The NX will end up as the Wii U-2, a console with a purely 1st party lineup, probably a few multiplat ports in the first few years until PS5 and/or Nextbox arrives. They can still probably outsell the Wii U with it as long as they don't have an expensive gimmick that pushes up the price.

AbbathTheGrim said:

I don't think it was the casuals who came to forums to talk about how graphics don't matter.

That rhetoric never left. Graphics don't matter. Gameplay does. Talking about how the NX needs high specs only referenced 3rd party support, not game quality, which is what that rhetoric addresses.

Aaaaaaand NX just guaranteed to have less 3rd party support than the Wii U.

Thanks jlmurph!

spemanig said:

An affordable price point is staying. They aren't compromising that for power. 

They were fine with sacrificing an affordable price point for the Gamepad with Wii U.