By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Legend of Zelda vs Final Fantasy, wich is the better franchise?

Legend Of Zelda vs Final Fantasy what series is better?

Legend Of Zelda 561 67.03%

Final Fantasy 276 32.97%

Total:837
TK14 said:
Zelda. And I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a more loyal, dedicated, and active fan base in gaming.

You would not find a more picky fan base either :P

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

geez man.. we really had 700 members vote? do we really have that many users?

While I love Final Fantasy 4 and 6, Ocarina of Time is better.. so Zelda

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I love both. I think the very best FF is on a similar level as the very best Zelda. The key difference for me is that Zelda is more consistently brilliant. There really hasn't been a bad mainline Zelda game in the last 20 years. Which is pretty extraordinary when you think about it. FF has had quite a few stinkers.

Lawlight said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

Because Zelda can have an uber successful symphony tour based on "one" memorable song that is "copied from a better, existing song"? 

Everybody can have their own opinion, but the Zelda series has Legendary status partly due to their phenomenal soundtracks. 

No, not based on one memorable song - based on nostalgia.

The problem I see is that you played OoT and that is reflective of the whole LoZ series, while you can pick and choose from the various FF games for their soundtracks (albeit certain games have great soundtracks alone - *points at FFIX.*)

What is the difference between a "memorable song" and "nostalgia"? They go hand in hand in this situation. 

Anyway, these people get a lot of business, so obviously your opinion is just one (possibly) popular one of many other popular ones: 

sc94597 said:
Lawlight said:

The problem I see is that you played OoT and that is reflective of the whole LoZ series, while you can pick and choose from the various FF games for their soundtracks (albeit certain games have great soundtracks alone - *points at FFIX.*)

What is the difference between a "memorable song" and "nostalgia"? They go hand in hand in this situation. 

Anyway, these people get a lot of business, so obviously your opinion is just one (possibly) popular one of many other popular ones: 

And it generally sells out. There are quite a bit of legendary songs in the Legend Of Zelda.

Around the Network
Ouroboros24 said:
Lawlight said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

Because Zelda can have an uber successful symphony tour based on "one" memorable song that is "copied from a better, existing song"? 

Everybody can have their own opinion, but the Zelda series has Legendary status partly due to their phenomenal soundtracks. 

I think Zelda used to have "legendary" status but that was mainly because it came out at a time where competition wasn't fierce. I can't say I remember any Zelda tune or felt the need to youtube any of them after having played OoT. But opinions, right? But then again I remember the music from very few video games:

FF, of course.

Uncharted

God of War

Dragon Quest

Yeah, opinions, but then there's like logical opinions and there are balls off the walls opinions.  Just because your memory of Zelda tunes are a little foggy, you can't deny the droves of people here on this site and any other site that as a rounded consensus that Zelda soundtrack has been stellar.  Nothing against FF either, FF has a wonderful track record of great soundtracks.  I can only remember a few hand pick songs in FF, but I can't discredit them for anything either.  Both franchise have stellar sound tracks, so I just don't understand why there would be any discredit to either franchise by genre of soundtrack.

This site is very pro-Nintendo so, of course, there will be droves of people who like the Zelda music. As for you handpicking a few FF songs, I'm sure you can do better.

JRPGfan said:
Soundwave said:
JRPGfan said:

Let me put it this way then.... .I much rather have FF7R right now to play, than any Zelda game.

FF7 was great ... but it's one game and that was almost *20* years ago. Square-Enix has been living off the legacy of that one game for far too long.

I enjoyed the 8th, 9th, 10th,... 10th-part 2, 12th ect as well.

Hell I played FF11 the mmo for like 6years, and played about a year of ff14

(which I only quit because my brother convinced me to go back to WoW that I then quit again after a month or two).

I dont get the notion that all FF games since the 7th, are bad.

Alot of good FF games since.

All Final Fantasy games after 9 are of low quality in my opinion. Right around when Squaresoft became Square-Enix, the downfall began.

Lawlight said:
Ouroboros24 said:
Lawlight said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

I think Zelda used to have "legendary" status but that was mainly because it came out at a time where competition wasn't fierce. I can't say I remember any Zelda tune or felt the need to youtube any of them after having played OoT. But opinions, right? But then again I remember the music from very few video games:

FF, of course.

Uncharted

God of War

Dragon Quest

Yeah, opinions, but then there's like logical opinions and there are balls off the walls opinions.  Just because your memory of Zelda tunes are a little foggy, you can't deny the droves of people here on this site and any other site that as a rounded consensus that Zelda soundtrack has been stellar.  Nothing against FF either, FF has a wonderful track record of great soundtracks.  I can only remember a few hand pick songs in FF, but I can't discredit them for anything either.  Both franchise have stellar sound tracks, so I just don't understand why there would be any discredit to either franchise by genre of soundtrack.

This site is very pro-Nintendo so, of course, there will be droves of people who like the Zelda music. As for you handpicking a few FF songs, I'm sure you can do better.

And you're pro-Final Fantasy so, of course you will know those songs better.

garywood said:
I love both. I think the very best FF is on a similar level as the very best Zelda. The key difference for me is that Zelda is more consistently brilliant. There really hasn't been a bad mainline Zelda game in the last 20 years. Which is pretty extraordinary when you think about it. FF has had quite a few stinkers.

I dunno, I'd argue Skyward Sword was almost as bad as Final Fantasy XIII, and is up there with "worst entries in great franchises" such as Assassin's Creed Unity and Resident Evil 6.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

NiKKoM said:
geez man.. we really had 700 members vote? do we really have that many users?

While I love Final Fantasy 4 and 6, Ocarina of Time is better.. so Zelda

VGChartz have more than 100k members...