By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hear a lot of people saying Nintendo can't afford to compete with a traditional console...

RubberWhistleHistle said:

nintendo is actually a larger company than Sony, and both are insignificant specks compared to microsoft. i dont know why people have a hard time understanding this.

edit: it is like comparing earth, venus and the sun. 

Where do you get your info from?

Around the Network

The implied question was pretty obvious. You don't have to explain yourself though.

Anyway I thought it was pretty funny.

MohammadBadir said:
The investors go crazy whenever they take losses, and for good reason. Gaming is Nintendo's only business, and when they lose money through gaming, the entire company suffers, whereas in Sony/MS's case gaming is only a small part that doesn't affect the company as a whole.

Sony was suffer with their brand TV & laptop

They sold VaiO for a goverment company in Japan

And they almost discontinued TV due to losses sale 

So you shouldn't think Sony is doing so good with their business right now

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213

What I do not understand is why MS tolerates to slowly bleed money. Why do they not just take a big bag of money and buy Take-Two, EA, Ubisoft and Activision and rule the console world forever after. They have lost all other hardware battles (phones, tablets, laptops). This battle they could really win if they just put in some resources.

baloofarsan said:
What I do not understand is why MS tolerates to slowly bleed money. Why do they not just take a big bag of money and buy Take-Two, EA, Ubisoft and Activision and rule the console world forever after. They have lost all other hardware battles (phones, tablets, laptops). This battle they could really win if they just put in some resources.

Could they? I mean, how much time would Microsoft need to recover the losses from such  takeovers? Wouldn't buying the exclusivity of the big franchises make more sense? When you say "just some resources", you don't sound like they would be buying some of the biggest software publishers of the planet. Hell, I'm sure some could even consider it as monopoly, and Microsoft already had a  lot of prblems on that regard.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:

nintendo is actually a larger company than Sony, and both are insignificant specks compared to microsoft. i dont know why people have a hard time understanding this.

edit: it is like comparing earth, venus and the sun. 

Where do you get your info from?

I'm pretty sure he's referring to market cap, which is the value of a company on the stock market which was a big story last gen.  This isn't true anymore, last gen Nintendo was worth wayyy more than Sony, now Sony is worth 34 billion vs 19 billion for Nintendo.  Still when you consider how massive Sony is Nintendo doesn't look bad at all.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

People say it because Iwata said it. 'We are not very good at competing.' Translates as 'Invest big money in our systems? Fuck that!'.

artur-fernand said:
Soundwave said:
Sony isn't the problem. I think Nintendo would be OK with competing with Sony.

Microsoft is where they get the problem. Because it would be one thing to just compete against Sony, which is a much smaller company than MS, but when you have two already doing the same exact thing more or less, then Nintendo trying to butt in and be the third just comes across as hopelessly "me too".

And Microsoft has had in the past no hesitance to turn things into a pissing match over money.

MS just overcrowded everything too much.

MS has some sort of infinite war chest, yes. But quite frankly, in 3 generations, I never saw this changing things DRAMATICALLY. They made GTA4 and FFXIII go multi-platform (...which was pretty huge I guess), and got the deal with CoD (which they lost already) but I don't know, it seems to me Nintendo is perfectly capable of competing.

MS got timed-exclusivity on Tomb Raider and Sony (with less money than Nintendo) got the same deal with FFVII and full console exclusivisity with SF5. Nintendo could surely do something like that too, and they have the benefit of really strong first-party IPs. Regardless, it's been proven that the consumer wants just traditional gaming consoles. That's it.

Sony uses leverage and compensation at this point to get deals. A publisher already knows he is going to sell best on the PS4, and if he does a deal with MS they stand to lose alot. Sony just has to make it worth their while. Help with marketing, reduce or eliminate royalties... stuff like that.

Nintendo does not care about 3rd party games. In their perfect world (which they got with the Wii) they create a product that people buy in massess then they become pretty much the sole software provider to those masses (thus the reason Nintendo have multiple 20+ million sellers on the Wii).

MS uses brute force to get games and sell consoles. They have little leverage right now so they have to pay out of the ass for any deal (unless the dev is dumb), they completely dropped their vision for the XB1 in less than a year and were selling it 150 dollars cheaper with great bundles.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

they did compete with the GameCube, Nintendo 64 and every other home console before Wii and they made money.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Again, and I hate to say it, but I blame MS.

Nintendo was able to do OK even with the N64 that had very limited third party support even against the PSOne which had practically every major third party game exclusive.

Had MS stayed out of the business, Nintendo would be a comfortable, very profitable no.2 at least in the business.