By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hear a lot of people saying Nintendo can't afford to compete with a traditional console...

...but didn't they make a lot of money with the Wii and DS? They sold like hot cakes (a combined 250+ million, I mean, holy shit), were profitable from the start, and Wii games weren't nearly as expensive as HD games. So... what's with this argument? Shouldn't they have a lot of money now, to try and estabilish a strong installed base for a more traditional, powerful console? Not as much money as MS, but probably more than Sony right? Especially before the PS4 released?

What did they do with that money? Or am I full of bullshit here?

Around the Network

nintendo is actually a larger company than Sony, and both are insignificant specks compared to microsoft. i dont know why people have a hard time understanding this.

edit: it is like comparing earth, venus and the sun. 

The investors go crazy whenever they take losses, and for good reason. Gaming is Nintendo's only business, and when they lose money through gaming, the entire company suffers, whereas in Sony/MS's case gaming is only a small part that doesn't affect the company as a whole.

This idea reminds me of that scene in Jumanji where the kid runs to the shed to get an axe, but the shed is locked so he grabs an axe leaning against it and starts chopping down the door.

MohammadBadir said:
The investors go crazy whenever they take losses, and for good reason. Gaming is Nintendo's only business, and when they lose money through gaming, the entire company suffers, whereas in Sony/MS's case gaming is only a small part that doesn't affect the company as a whole.

lol i dont know if gaming is really just a small part of sony's business anymore

Around the Network
RubberWhistleHistle said:
MohammadBadir said:

lol i dont know if gaming is really just a small part of sony's business anymore

Gaming is still a spec of Sony's business. Camera sensors, and financial are still over half of what Sony is. That is why Sony is trying to expand the PlayStation brand with PlayStation Vue and PlayStation Now. They want to make more money from games, so they can put more money back into games.  

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:

Gaming is still a spec of Sony's business. Camera sensors, and financial are still over half of what Sony is. That is why Sony is trying to expand the PlayStation brand with PlayStation Vue and PlayStation Now. They want to make more money from games, so they can put more money back into games.  

i guess that is good for them. but what youre saying is that they are trying to make games more of a central focus of their business?

Sony isn't the problem. I think Nintendo would be OK with competing with Sony.

Microsoft is where they get the problem. Because it would be one thing to just compete against Sony, which is a much smaller company than MS, but when you have two already doing the same exact thing more or less, then Nintendo trying to butt in and be the third just comes across as hopelessly "me too".

And Microsoft has had in the past no hesitance to turn things into a pissing match over money.

MS just overcrowded everything too much.

Soundwave said:
Sony isn't the problem. I think Nintendo would be OK with competing with Sony.

Microsoft is where they get the problem. Because it would be one thing to just compete against Sony, which is a much smaller company than MS, but when you have two already doing the same exact thing more or less, then Nintendo trying to butt in and be the third just comes across as hopelessly "me too".

And Microsoft has had in the past no hesitance to turn things into a pissing match over money.

MS just overcrowded everything too much.

MS has some sort of infinite war chest, yes. But quite frankly, in 3 generations, I never saw this changing things DRAMATICALLY. They made GTA4 and FFXIII go multi-platform (...which was pretty huge I guess), and got the deal with CoD (which they lost already) but I don't know, it seems to me Nintendo is perfectly capable of competing.

MS got timed-exclusivity on Tomb Raider and Sony (with less money than Nintendo) got the same deal with FFVII and full console exclusivisity with SF5. Nintendo could surely do something like that too, and they have the benefit of really strong first-party IPs. Regardless, it's been proven that the consumer wants just traditional gaming consoles. That's it.

nintendo is actually a larger company than Sony, and both are insignificant specks compared to microsoft. i dont know why people have a hard time understanding this.

Nintendo is much smaller than Sony.  It's really not even close when comparing assets.  Nintendo has simply been much more profitable, which is entirely different.  

On topic, Nintendo can and always could compete, they just chose not to do so, believing the power of their own brand was strong enough to win through.