By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hear a lot of people saying Nintendo can't afford to compete with a traditional console...

mountaindewslave said:
Ruler said:

Nintendo doesnt have more money than sony despite what nintendo fans keep saying. Sony as whole is larger, for them devoloping a console and marketing will always be cheaper than for nintendo.

Nintendo actually has way more money than Sony. Sony is a larger company but they have a lot of a debt and have very limited cash reserves. in terms of assets and cash on hand Nintendo is in  a way better spot that Sony, despite the recent success of the PS4

Sony has more assets

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
small44 said:
Soundwave said:

They could have beat Microsoft this gen with a similarily speced console and wise use of a year long headstart. 

Besides Nintendo made far more money than MS + Sony combined last generation, in fact I'm pretty sure they made more money last generation than MS + Sony combined in all their years in the business. 

No console can survive without third party support

That statement needs to be more precise: when you mean survive, you mean in terms of sales or in profitability? Because Nintendo has managed to make a profit on consoles that had very poor 3rd party support.

In term of sales

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

They can easily afford it but they won't. Profit > everything else.

mountaindewslave said:

whats hilarious is you talk of how the Gamecube flopped yet Nintendo made wayyyyyyyy more money in the Gamecube/GBA era than Sony did from the PS2 (i.e. the best ever selling system)

I just think that indicates how it is not always relevant who is selling the most in terms of quantity, sometimes it is completely irrelevant. Nintendo will be less concerned with being the top video game seller than keeping costs low and maintaining sales to a certain degree- the real question is what numbers they need to maintain their success

granted obviously the last year or 2 have been tough compared with the past. Nintendo will be fine, they are not a company who likes to spend much money but if it comes down to that they can do whatever the want in terms of developing a console for multiple generations. they are bound to find the right balance. the Wii U is their first true failure in quite a while and in its same generation they have a quite successful handheld so it's not so bad

Didn't Sony made massive amounts of money with the PS2 though? And we're just under the impression it made less than Nintendo because they spent most of it on the development of the Cell? 

Then the GBA allowed Nintendo to "catch up", so to speak, the GC probably made some profit, but not much. I THINK that's what happened.

Ruler said:
mountaindewslave said:

Nintendo actually has way more money than Sony. Sony is a larger company but they have a lot of a debt and have very limited cash reserves. in terms of assets and cash on hand Nintendo is in  a way better spot that Sony, despite the recent success of the PS4

Sony has more assets

Sony has more assets, that much is true.

But I think what is trying to be pointed out is the stark difference that can be seen when you look at both companies total liabilities.  

Total Liabilities is the aggregate of all debts an individual or company is liable for.

According to both their latest (individual) financial statements:

Sony has ->

12,900,614  Million Yen in Total liabilities.

Nintendo only has ->

185,387  Million Yen in Total liabilities.

From that we can see Nintendo is burdened way less by liabilities,

but also that the amount of liabilities Sony has accumulated is huge (more than $100 Billion USD).

Around the Network

I see nintendo is in a very apple 90`s situation. Seeing how giants like Nokia falled and an undead company made a comeback and now is the world richest company makes me believe anything in the business world is possible, if you have the right strategy.

Nintendo main mistake with Wii U was trying to make ANOTHER revolution in a short time span. Had the Wii U went the way of incremental evolution and it would be selling at least better, many people didn`t get the tablet controller and it needs to be used to be appealing, while the wiimote was exciting just to watch.

They should have done improvements in motion tracking technology and a huge hardware leap, not making a strange controller and just matching ps3/x360 when it was too late. Trying to go the tablet form was a mistake.

If NX is something like a shitty tablet, or has a shitty tablet controller, it will suck hard. I think if they go to the route of a iOS like and just scaling games through the hardwares it will bomb hard, make just a damn, good console with outstanding motion controllers and hardware to match the other 2, or even go for pushing graphics.

I believe they can make a huge comeback, but they need to stop with this strategy of loosers " oh, we dont compete", " oh, we have our fans, lets make a console for them", GO FOR THE GUTS OF THE COMPETITORS, FOR GODAMN SAKE!

small44 said:
Soundwave said:

They could have beat Microsoft this gen with a similarily speced console and wise use of a year long headstart. 

Besides Nintendo made far more money than MS + Sony combined last generation, in fact I'm pretty sure they made more money last generation than MS + Sony combined in all their years in the business. 

No console can survive without third party support

They would have third party ports if their console was similarily specced to the other two (making ports easy) and they had taken better advantage of a year headstart, because then they would be no.2 in userbase right now and third parties couldn't afford to look off them. 

I think Nintendo does not have the image to appeal to the majotity of the bro gaming audience. Their games are seen as too kiddy for them. This means that in the current situation they have no hope of capturing a good part of that segment.
This leaves them with fans and casuals. They lost the casuals after the Wii. The casuals are the most difficult segment to appeal to because they come and go with the trends. To apeal to them also ususlly mean to lose appeal to the core fans, wich means both audiences are almost mutually exclusive.
With the premature abandonment of the Wii U, the core fan segment will be taking a hit, so i think the conclusion is obvious: Nintendo is going to try and appeal to the casual market again. Its always a gamble, but its the only choice they have now.

Nem said:

I think Nintendo does not have the image to appeal to the majotity of the bro gaming audience. Their games are seen as too kiddy for them. This means that in the current situation they have no hope of capturing a good part of that segment.
This leaves them with fans and casuals. They lost the casuals after the Wii. The casuals are the most difficult segment to appeal to because they come and go with the trends. To apeal to them also ususlly mean to lose appeal to the core fans, wich means both audiences are almost mutually exclusive.
With the premature abandonment of the Wii U, the core fan segment will be taking a hit, so i think the conclusion is obvious: Nintendo is going to try and appeal to the casual market again. Its always a gamble, but its the only choice they have now.

Yeah. I dunno, that's going to be tough though, because casuals didn't just move on from the Wii, they've gotten very comfortable with $1 or even free games.

Once you give someone something for free basically, it's very, very hard to then ask them to pay money for those things. 

They're going to need a miracle new type of controller to have that work too, it can't just be "well here's another motion controller that lets you play bowling". That's old hat now, casuals won't be impressed by that anymore. 

I don't know if Nintendo's goal really even is to try and "win" the console race so much as it is to just remain profitable at this point. 

invetedlotus123 said:
I see nintendo is in a very apple 90`s situation. Seeing how giants like Nokia falled and an undead company made a comeback and now is the world richest company makes me believe anything in the business world is possible, if you have the right strategy.

Nintendo main mistake with Wii U was trying to make ANOTHER revolution in a short time span. Had the Wii U went the way of incremental evolution and it would be selling at least better, many people didn`t get the tablet controller and it needs to be used to be appealing, while the wiimote was exciting just to watch.

They should have done improvements in motion tracking technology and a huge hardware leap, not making a strange controller and just matching ps3/x360 when it was too late. Trying to go the tablet form was a mistake.

If NX is something like a shitty tablet, or has a shitty tablet controller, it will suck hard. I think if they go to the route of a iOS like and just scaling games through the hardwares it will bomb hard, make just a damn, good console with outstanding motion controllers and hardware to match the other 2, or even go for pushing graphics.

I believe they can make a huge comeback, but they need to stop with this strategy of loosers " oh, we dont compete", " oh, we have our fans, lets make a console for them", GO FOR THE GUTS OF THE COMPETITORS, FOR GODAMN SAKE!

Difference is Apple is american and nokia is finish. Do you really think a finish or canadian (blackberry) company could dominate the smartphone market like android and apple are? Anything isnt possible. 

Apple was hyped up by US media and europeans followed that trend and other conspiricys happened at the time for sure, apple didnt innovate anything. Even in the console market the US cant except none americans rule thats why xbox exist in the first place.