By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto Expains Why Wii U has Failed

Nintendo.

Make a top notch console.

Have no gimmick too it, but feel free to add random accessories to see if they catch on (Ala Kinect). If they fail, that sucks, but your console will not be stuck with iPad wannabe controller.

Make the games you do. Invest in 3rd parties.

Will you be Sony? Nope. Will your console be more popular and have a dedicated fanbase (ala Gamecube) YES!

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

Price and the GamePad are certainly some of the reasons WiiU didn't do too well. I'm glad to see that Miyamoto is aware of that.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Wii (2006) price adjusted with inflation = $294.00 w/one free game

Wii U price for the last year = $299.00 w/two free games

Yeah I don't think price is really the issue. Not to mention the PS4 is selling very well at $400.

With Wii they had lineups every time there was a restock and were willing to pay upwards of $400-$500 on eBay to get one. With Wii U ... well the poor numbers speak for themselves.

If people want something, like reeeally want they'll pay for it.

To me it seems like they almost feel obligated to try out crazy stuff to interact with games. It was one thing when they used Wiimotes to interact with a game, but a second screen didn't do anything for what they wanted. At least they had a clear idea for what they wanted to do with the Wiimotes. Heck they themselves admitted that they didn't know what they wanted with the gamepad.

Nintendo needs to settle on a control scheme. I like what they have done with the pro controller. They just need to fine tune it for NX. Include gyroscopic controls to it so you can aim like Splatoon. Ditch all previous controllers so they can focus on just one controller. Knock it off with the Wiimote, nunchuck, classic controller, GCN controller, gamepad, and all the other crazy peripherals. It distracts from what should be the focus, which is good games.

They got bit in the arse for trying to follow trends, that's not Nintendo's strong suit. They are trail blazers, not ones that follow the well-trodden path.

They could have scrapped the gamepad, kept the wii controls, and just focused on hardware specs and done very well. People were comfortable and familiar with the Wii enough that the jump in graphics/performance would have convinced most to make the change.

I personally find the gamepad as a waste, but I also come from a perspective of not being a fan of handheld gaming at all. I had a GBA and a DS, and honestly only touched them when I was a passenger in a car or plane. If Nintendo's next system tries to push more handheld nonsense into its next home console, I'm going to stick to Steam as my only gaming platform.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Yeah I don't think price is really the issue. Not to mention the PS4 is selling very well at $400.

With Wii they had lineups every time there was a restock and were willing to pay upwards of $400-$500 on eBay to get one. With Wii U ... well the poor numbers speak for themselves.

Guess its settled then.

People dont want a gamepad controller or a weak console.

JRPGfan said:
Soundwave said:

Guess its settled then.

Not necessarily true. Wii was a weak console and everyone wanted it.

bunchanumbers said:
JRPGfan said:

Guess its settled then.

So its just the gamepad? man.... Id hate to be the guy in charge that thought that was a good idea.

JRPGfan said:
bunchanumbers said:

So its just the gamepad? man.... Id hate to be the guy in charge that thought that was a good idea.

The worst part is that they were debating a touch screen even as far back as the original Wii development. They instead decided on motion controls and Wiimotes instead. Would the touch screen have worked in 2006? Maybe. What we do know is that motion controls led to some of the biggest profits in Nintendo history.

Underpowered
Foreign hardware compared to PC/PS4/X1
Mistaken for a standalone tablet/add on for the original Wii
Lack of awareness(my brother did not even know Nintendo had a new console out)
Constant software droughts
Lack of third party titles
Basic and restrictive online features
Lack of mature titles
Disappointing launch titles(no mainline 3D Mario/Zelda)

You get the point.