By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto Expains Why Wii U has Failed

I really wish Nintendo would not have sold the Wii U with the gamepad, but instead 50$ cheaper and with a Wii Mote.

Then they should have made Mario Galaxy 3, instead of super mario world 3D.

I think Nintendo would be selling much much better, than it is now.

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:

Wii U also faces the same fate of Wii's steep decline in 2016.

The Wii U doesn't matter at this point. It's sales are already horrendous.

I still believe in the gamepad and asymmetric multiplayer in general. The lack of games that utilize it in interesting ways is what angers me.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

homer said:
I still believe in the gamepad and asymmetric multiplayer in general. The lack of games that utilize it in interesting ways is what angers me.

Natural Selection 2 would've been a perfect fit for Wii U. Too bad Nintendo didn't reach out to the devs. Not even Nintendo managed to make anything particularly interesting wrt the GamePad and asymmetric multiplayer, and that's a real shame.

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

Nice talk, but I think the main issue was that the Wii U was half assed out the gate and suffered for it. There were not any games that used the Gamepad in a significant way beyond a mini game collection for a year from Nintendo, and you could argue none to this day.

The system seems built to be able to just out perform the previous generation but they left so many bad decisions that if reversed could have made it better even at just its current graphical output.

- The lack of being able to use multiple gamepads on one device or at least games that support such play. The potential for having such a device even if gamepads themselves costed $80 to $100 a piece would have opened up a whole new potential for local multiplayer, particularly strategy games with multiplayer.
- The heavy reliance on the Wii brand early on without even sticking to the principals of what made the Wii successful in the first place in terms of simple controls that anyone could use, or requiring custom set ups for certain multiplayer games that require the previous generation's controllers. Even the sequel/remake of some of their previous Wii successes like Wii Sports and Wii Fit failed because Nintendo tried to be cute with how the games were released in terms of offering them for free for a certain period and not making them different enough from the original that fans of those games would stick with them long term.
- Multiple failures in terms of advertising and promotion. The device looked extremely like the mid life cycle revision of the Wii. The first ads in NA at least had people playing games with Wii controllers, the name itself. Is it any wonder the more casual audience didn't understand it was a new system to the point a Wii U was advertised using the image of a Wii in some publications? Nintendo could have done a number of things to make this system unique or show case its features, they didn't do it in time and they lost potential market because of that.

Way to much of the system seems to be undercut by Nintendo's own decisions. As much as the growth of the tablet/smart phone markets may have affected things, Nintendo came into the Wii U acting like a novice when they had years of experience with the DS under their belt and honestly it isn't as if tablets sprung up overnight or really that if the Gamepad was better serviced with decent tech it couldn't do some of the same things.

Around the Network

I'm not sure why Miyamoto stresses the bootup time. He also did that when introducing the quick-start feature. While it's practical, it's not a system seller.. or am I misreading something.

Yep.

Crappy name, game droughts, fuck all marketing, no moneyhatting third parties.

I personally think that Nintendo should have named the Wii after its codename, the Revolution. The Wii U the Evolution. Marketing would have been piss easy with those two names and they're quite appropriate too.

Another reason was the lack of interesting games to appeal to non nintendo fans. Nintendo just keep releasing mario crap that non nintendo fans dont care about his games release somethin new and breathtaking. A good example of this was splatoon, bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles X which surprisingly did good in catching people attention.

NintendoPie said:
daredevil.shark said:

Wii U also faces the same fate of Wii's steep decline in 2016.

The Wii U doesn't matter at this point. It's sales are already horrendous.

Next year it will be abysmal. Sony and Microsoft will hammer hard with exclusives and third party games and price cut. Wii U will lost whatever momentum it has gained.

gamepad/tablet gimmick really failed and the evolution of the tablet having it faster and faster on iOS and Androids are getting good. Wii U whenever it was designed, stuck in that timeline hence we have a low-spec tablet.
his point on fast boot is what? does gamers care that much on boot time? because once it is booting for 10-15 seconds should be fine. then gamers won't shutoff then open again their consoles, so it doesn't make sense.
he ain't talking about cd game boot because it is the same as most and it doesn't impact that much.

Nintendo tried gimmick with cheap specs with a normal price. which gamers doesn't need. plus 3rd party doesn't want to develop on WiiU SDK which porting is really hard to do. they need to profit especially it is now HD and development costs has risen.

Nintendo needs to embrace 3rd party and what is the normal things the core gamer wants. if they do another gimmick. NX wouldn't sell that much.