By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kotaku: Xenoblade Chronicles Import Preview -- 'in one word, it would be “boredom.'

Xenoblade Chronicles X: The Kotaku Import Preview

---------------------------------

The main story of Xenoblade X is not exactly meaty—it is only 12 missions long. However, that doesn’t mean the game isn’t packed with other content. There a numerous side quests to be done in between story missions—one or two of which are usually prerequisites for starting the next story mission.

These quests take two forms. The first are quest board-style quests with no story component, just a blurb telling you where to go or what to do. The other set of side quests are called “bond” quests. These quests allow you to create an emotional bond with various citizens of New L.A. You get a few short cutscenes detailing their lives and problems in the crashed space colony.

This is one of those games where flat-out grinding is often a quicker way to level up than questing. Unfortunately, the battles tend to be as monotonous as the quests.

Strangely, there are no line-of-sight rules in Xenoblade X. As such, an enemy can attack you through walls (or even mountains) as if there is no obstruction at all. The lack of line-of-sight rules for the AI also makes typical MMORPG battle tactics like line-of-sight pulling and kiting impossible. Running away from a hopeless battle is likewise much more difficult.

If I were to describe my 70 hours with Xenoblade X in one word, it would be “boredom.” The main story did little to get me invested, the side quests were repetitive at best, and the combat was a painfully monotonous slog even with the advanced classes unlocked.

-----------------------------------

Well, how will reviewers react to this game after Dragon Age Inquisition and The Witcher 3? Do you feel that Kotaku is being unreasonably harsh? Personally, the game needs to be really unique to strike a chord because the RPG bar had been raised by a decent amount.

http://kotaku.com/xenoblade-chronicles-x-the-kotaku-import-preview-1710008103

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

That doesn't sound good at all.
If XCX is anything like XC, it shouldn't be boring.
I find it really hard to believe that.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

I find this hard to believe...

Not good at all. I'll wait for my reviews before my hype deflates.

edit:

Not all is lost. He found the battle system, which many have lauded in Xenoblade, boring. So it could be more that its not his type of game.

Three words: "It's Kotaku".

Wait for actual reviewers to do their jobs if you want to learn more about the quality of the game.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

Around the Network

One word: "Kotaku".

If you want to know about the quality of the game, wait for actual reviewers to do their job.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

This type of response is expected. Xenoblade raised the profile of the series, so it's going to be under a heavier microscope than last time around.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

IGN said that the game feels very fun to play, Gamexplain was loving it, Tachikoma has already played it and thinks is the best game of the generation so far, and someone in kotaku thinks is boring. OK

Everyone has opinions.

Early, negative review of a high profile release........my click-bait senses are tingling.

Look, the game may very well be bad but it would seem strange to take such a step backwards from the previous entry and I've seen enough early reviews of this ilk to reserve my judgement.

Kotaku didn't like the first Xenoblade, either, so you know how much weight to give their opinion of this one.