By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon Shatters Expectations (YES, Finally!)

ryuzaki57 said:

Splatoon TV campaign in Japan was gigantic, hence the good sales.

But because of that, the game is far from profitable atm : the TV ads cost nearly 1b yens while they sold for 300m so far (see link). So unless it has very good legs it will fail.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8202894.html

Besides, it's not like it moved a lot of systems either.

Even though I know that no matter what I say, you will still insist on your own idea that Nintendo always fails, you're not taking into account Amiibo sales.  I can predict your response to be that you were only counting TV ad cost and not development costs, but I'm sure you already know that Splatoon is not only released in Japan, and your downplay on saying it didn't move a lot of systems is weak.  It definitely moved systems, enough for it to count towards revenue from Splatoon.

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:

But because of that, the game is far from profitable atm : the TV ads cost nearly 1b yens while they sold for 300m so far (see link). So unless it has very good legs it will fail.

I'm seeing that the site is using 3000 yen as the cost of the software,  but that is actually incorrect, since the software costed 6156 yen, double than what the site is using, that would also double what Nintendo gains meaning instead of 2000 yen per copy, they would get 4000 yen per copies, meaning that it wasn't 300m yen that has been gain back but 576m yen, and that is without taking into account digital sales, which are the moment are known to be 43k+ in this case Nintendo gains the majority if not all of the money of the sell,  so taking that and multiplying it by the minimum of digital sales we know off that would be another 258m yen, which puts the grand total of software sales FW revenue at 834m yen.  

So the expenses of the TV ad campaign are majorly covered with that alone, but that is without adding amiibo, at the moment we know of 106k Triple packs were sold, asuming they were sold at the equivalent of 35 dollars in yen, that would mean a gain of that is another 466m yen, in other words Splatoon recovered what was used for its ad campaign on its FW, and when adding all this up it ends up at 1.300 biliion yen, meaning that 300m yen are already going into paying for Splatoon's development, and that is without taking into account, the sales of the individual Inkling Girl, Inkling Boy, and Inkling Squid, and sales from everywhere else in the world.  With all of that Splatoon should had not only get back all it used in all of its ad campaigns, but should had also fully covered development costs or atleast majorly, so it is highly possible Splatoon is profitable since day 1

COMG guide to points: 1 point = Raging. 2 points = Beasting. 3 points = Tearing it up. 4 points = Berzerk. 7 points = Rampage. 12 points = Burst. 15 points = god mode. 20+ points = DIVIDING BY ZERO!!! 40+ points = Youkai (originally Pokemon).

-1 = Negabeasting. -5= NegaRampage. -10 = NegaBurst

Skullwaker said:
ryuzaki57 said:

What constitutes as moving a lot of systems for home consoles anymore? It moved over 10k week 1, which isn't bad for a new unproven IP. And looking at sites like Amazon as well as other Japanese retailers, it's still selling out so it looks like it will have a good second week and it can pick up even more throughout the summer as in-game events and updates are added.

If you're trying to deny that this game destroyed people's expectations, then you're failing.

Totally in stock at Amazon jp, and Hiska said on GAF he'd seen it in stock

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E4%BB%BB%E5%A4%A9%E5%A0%82-Splatoon-%E3%82%B9%E3%83%97%E3%83%A9%E3%83%88%E3%82%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%B3/dp/B00VDVY1C8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1433662448&sr=1-1&keywords=splatoon

And, I'm not downplaying anything. The game is a commercial success and seems popular with all audiences. I am merely pointing out that the TV campaign was extraordinary large and that it threatens its success in a financial point of view.

Skullwaker said:
SpokenTruth said:
Did you just try to spin better than expected sales into a negative?

Are you surprised?

Nintendo is not allowed to win D:

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Tlozjb said:
ryuzaki57 said:

I'm seeing that the site is using 3000 yen as the cost of the software,  but that is actually incorrect, since the software costed 6156 yen, double than what the site is using, that would also double what Nintendo gains meaning instead of 2000 yen per copy, they would get 4000 yen per copies, meaning that it wasn't 300m yen that has been gain back but 576m yen, and that is without taking into account digital sales, which are the moment are known to be 43k+ in this case Nintendo gains the majority if not all of the money of the sell,  so taking that and multiplying it by the minimum of digital sales we know off that would be another 258m yen, which puts the grand total of software sales FW revenue at 834m yen.  

So the expenses of the TV ad campaign are majorly covered with that alone, but that is without adding amiibo, at the moment we know of 106k Triple packs were sold, asuming they were sold at the equivalent of 35 dollars in yen, that would mean a gain of that is another 466m yen, in other words Splatoon recovered what was used for its ad campaign on its FW, and when adding all this up it ends up at 1.300 biliion yen, meaning that 300m yen are already going into paying for Splatoon's development, and that is without taking into account, the sales of the individual Inkling Girl, Inkling Boy, and Inkling Squid, and sales from everywhere else in the world.  With all of that Splatoon should had not only get back all it used in all of its ad campaigns, but should had also fully covered development costs or atleast majorly, so it is highly possible Splatoon is profitable since day 1

Touché. I didn't imagine the game was priced that high in Japan (which is daylight robbery, I've seen as low as 30€ here). Looks like I lose today, but I will be back!

Where are the digital sales coming from though?

Around the Network

But Nintendo can't sell anything without Mario, Link, or Samus on the box.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

ryuzaki57 said:

This is highly pathetic to be honest.

"it will fail"

Sounds like a wet dream more than a fact, is obviously not failing.

EricFabian said:
Mummelmann said:
Well, I will easily admit that I underestimated the sales potential of this title.

That said; let's see global figures and longevity before we get too eager to dose out the black birds to everyone.

OH no. We need to mock them all. A lot of people called Splatoon TW101 bomba level. We need to cook some crow now

Lol. I'm really waiting for the week 1 and month 1 sales numbers though. I'm really curious to see how well the game does. I haven't bought it yet, but I will soon, because the test fires sold me.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

It has hardly shattered anything when many many people think it will reach a million in less then a month.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Tlozjb said:
ryuzaki57 said:

While I doubt it was profitable from day 1 (or even week 1), if your analysis is anywhere close to the reality of things (which I'm guessing is so), then it will definitely be profitable from month 1 or at worst within the first few months

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs