By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon Shatters Expectations (YES, Finally!)

vivster said:
tbone51 said:
vivster said:
How is this shattering expectations? Japan being crazy isn't really new.

WW is where it's at yo!

Yo, People predicting nowhere close to 140k FW in japan and quite a few predicted W101 WW lifetime sales and just knowing japan sales we kno that Those expectations are dead wrong hence the crow 

Again, Japan is totally craycray. As far as we know Japan LT > RoW LT.

Are you not reading what he posted? People predicted it wouldn't hit 140k at all hence the crow.

Around the Network

Splatoon TV campaign in Japan was gigantic, hence the good sales.

But because of that, the game is far from profitable atm : the TV ads cost nearly 1b yens while they sold for 300m so far (see link). So unless it has very good legs it will fail.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8202894.html

Besides, it's not like it moved a lot of systems either.

ryuzaki57 said:

But because of that, the game is far from profitable atm : the TV ads cost nearly 1b yens while they sold for 300m so far (see link). So unless it has very good legs it will fail.

What constitutes as moving a lot of systems for home consoles anymore? It moved over 10k week 1, which isn't bad for a new unproven IP. And looking at sites like Amazon as well as other Japanese retailers, it's still selling out so it looks like it will have a good second week and it can pick up even more throughout the summer as in-game events and updates are added.

If you're trying to deny that this game destroyed people's expectations, then you're failing.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Splatoon Splatters expectations

still i prefer this to the Wii "evergreens" days

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

ryuzaki57 said:

They also sold over 100,000 amiibo. These commercials are more than just simple advertisements for a single product, they are an investment in a brand. The series will benefit in the long run from the strong push it's getting right off the bat, that means more sales for future titles and for merchandise.

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:

No, lets not downplay it at all pls. Game was a major massive hit. Dont try to bring marketing cost in it, i mean why cant people just accept it?

:-/

the_dengle said:
ryuzaki57 said:

They also sold over 100,000 amiibo. These commercials are more than just simple advertisements for a single product, they are an investment in a brand. The series will benefit in the long run from the strong push it's getting right off the bat, that means more sales for future titles and for merchandise.

They sold over 100k three pack amiibo, so they sold over 300k amiibo with just the collection pack. The game also has very good digital sales.

And yes, the ad campaign is an investment for the future, obviously.

Samus Aran said:
the_dengle said:
ryuzaki57 said:

They sold over 100k three pack amiibo, so they sold over 300k amiibo with just the collection pack. The game also has very good digital sales.

And yes, the ad campaign is an investment for the future, obviously.

Trust me, as much as i love for it to be true its not :'-(

106k comes from the triple pack but as together, so about 34k of each amiibo, but i think it excludes separate sku's.

No matter its good, oh yeah especially for a NEW IP Game :)

It definitely surpassed my expectations. I predicted 400k worldwide first week , now I think 500k is possible.

SpokenTruth said:
Did you just try to spin better than expected sales into a negative?

Are you surprised?

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread