By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - (Opinion) This is the LAST Xbox...!!!

WoodenPints said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Sony turned this around, and they know how strong the PS brand is. and Nintendo is making profit.

Both things Microsoft can't say.

If we went by that rule PS4 would never of happened.

What Rule? the reason the PS4 exists is because Sony turned things around and they know how super strong the PS Brand is, The year after PS3 came out it outsold 360 every single year but 1 where there was a small difference.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
WoodenPints said:

If we went by that rule PS4 would never of happened.

What Rule? the reason the PS4 exists is because Sony turned things around and they know how super strong the PS Brand is, The year after PS3 came out it outsold 360 every single year but 1 where there was a small difference.

As in not making a profit means no future console, and I don't know how anyone can claim that Microsoft Isn't a strong brand.

Landguy said:

I have claimed before that this will be the last mainstream generation of gaming consoles.  I was thinking that between tablets/smartphones/smart tvs/ and computers and laptops, there just wouldn't be a need.

But, I can see clearly that the need for a gaming console will be greatly diminished in the US and Western Europe, but it has a place in most of the rest of the world for at least one more generation if not 2.  Will there be another generation in the US and Western Europe?  Yes, but it won't include an XBOX.

If you look at how the sales of the Xbox's have always been, they have been mostly in the US and Western Europe.  This generation has seen that even those markets are extremely challenging for Microsoft.  MS isn't really making money on the XB1, and probably never will if they want to sell any consoles.  They will have to keep dropping the price below the PS4 and that makes no financial sense.  This current generation will probably only sell 150-160 million total consoles.  The US and European markets will shrink dramatically from last gen. This is where the problem really lies for MS.  Having only 10-25% of the market outside of the US and Europe doesn’t leave much for them next generation.

So, that leads me to believe that the XBOX itself as a console is on its last lap.  MS will not drop the brand altogether though.  They will not sell it either.  MS will license the brand to 3rd parties.  With the Windows 10 integration, MS will have 3rd parties making consoles.  They will just license a special Windows 10 OS and simple base configuration for the hardware.  Software developers will be able to easily make games for the 3rd party Xbox’s and Windows 10 simultaneously.  Seeing as how Sony went X86 this generation, the cost to develop will be much lower for everyone, as porting the games will be much easier.  Heck, you never know, maybe MS and Sony will work out a deal and the PS5 will have Windows 10 compatibility?!

One thing is for sure, this will be the last Xbox made by Microsoft.  

I am inclined to agree - especially if things continue to get worse for the X1.  This was Microsoft's last chance to prove to investors that the losses were worth it.  They weren't.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

WoodenPints said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

As in not making a profit means no future console, and I don't know how anyone can claim that Microsoft Isn't a strong brand.

I never said that was a rule? I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

I think they'll be another Xbox, but it's got the biggest chance of not being around next generation. Sony and Nintendo have confirmed another console. 
And Microsoft is only really relevant in the US and UK where it's loosing in both, AND not making money and doesn't have the global appeal to come back. Microsoft also can make lots of money with PC gaming and they're focusing a lot of Windows 10 as a gaming platform.

ArchangelMadzz said:
WoodenPints said:

I think they'll be another Xbox, but it's got the biggest chance of not being around next generation. Sony and Nintendo have confirmed another console. 
And Microsoft is only really relevant in the US and UK where it's loosing in both, AND not making money and doesn't have the global appeal to come back. Microsoft also can make lots of money with PC gaming and they're focusing a lot of Windows 10 as a gaming platform.

The rule part was more so for posts by others regarding the PS3.

I think we can all agree if this was to be the last Xbox, PS would be gone the following generation due to massive decline in userbase of consoles and be a disaster for the insustry.

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I think we can all agree if this was to be the last Xbox, PS would be gone the following generation due to massive decline in userbase of consoles and be a disaster for the insustry.

It's a silly rule, considering that even though I don't know if any profit was made when all was said and done, sony's not going to stop making a biggest console brand of consoles, and given that it still managed to turn things around sell really well.

Depends on how well the PS5 does. If the PS5 manages to sell over 100 million units then a PS6 will be made. PC is huge still, as long as a lot of money is to be made on PS5/PC it will continue.

Microsoft makes tons on Xbox Life subscriptions which are only required through Xbox consoles. The console is selling faster and in more quantities than Xbox 360, and with the removal of Kinect, it doesn't cost alot to produce anymore, making a price drop easier. And remember,they still sold 2 million consoles before the first price drop/sale. They aren't doing bad by a long shot. Just because Sony is selling more, doesn't mean its competition is doing badly, it doesn't work that way.

ArchangelMadzz said:
WoodenPints said:

It's a silly rule, considering that even though I don't know if any profit was made when all was said and done, sony's not going to stop making a biggest console brand of consoles, and given that it still managed to turn things around sell really well.

Depends on how well the PS5 does. If the PS5 manages to sell over 100 million units then a PS6 will be made. PC is huge still, as long as a lot of money is to be made on PS5/PC it will continue.

I think alot of Microsofts fanbase would turn to either PC and/or their mobile&tablet division rather than all shift to PS5, Who knows there might be more money in selling games that would of been Xbox only to the PC market exclusivily instead.

I still firmly believe if any of the console makers pull out next gen it will be all doom and gloom for the future of the game industry.

No!

The X1 is ahead of 360 for the same timeframe at the moment. Besides, you are looking at XBox in a way that is the old viewpoint of XBox only being a home console. XBox is MS's gaming infrastructure which includes PC, tablets, smartphone and a dedicated device at home. Having all those devices is important to reach the maximum audience.