By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - (Opinion) This is the LAST Xbox...!!!

I have claimed before that this will be the last mainstream generation of gaming consoles.  I was thinking that between tablets/smartphones/smart tvs/ and computers and laptops, there just wouldn't be a need.

But, I can see clearly that the need for a gaming console will be greatly diminished in the US and Western Europe, but it has a place in most of the rest of the world for at least one more generation if not 2.  Will there be another generation in the US and Western Europe?  Yes, but it won't include an XBOX.

If you look at how the sales of the Xbox's have always been, they have been mostly in the US and Western Europe.  This generation has seen that even those markets are extremely challenging for Microsoft.  MS isn't really making money on the XB1, and probably never will if they want to sell any consoles.  They will have to keep dropping the price below the PS4 and that makes no financial sense.  This current generation will probably only sell 150-160 million total consoles.  The US and European markets will shrink dramatically from last gen. This is where the problem really lies for MS.  Having only 10-25% of the market outside of the US and Europe doesn’t leave much for them next generation.

So, that leads me to believe that the XBOX itself as a console is on its last lap.  MS will not drop the brand altogether though.  They will not sell it either.  MS will license the brand to 3rd parties.  With the Windows 10 integration, MS will have 3rd parties making consoles.  They will just license a special Windows 10 OS and simple base configuration for the hardware.  Software developers will be able to easily make games for the 3rd party Xbox’s and Windows 10 simultaneously.  Seeing as how Sony went X86 this generation, the cost to develop will be much lower for everyone, as porting the games will be much easier.  Heck, you never know, maybe MS and Sony will work out a deal and the PS5 will have Windows 10 compatibility?!

One thing is for sure, this will be the last Xbox made by Microsoft.  

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

Doubtful. If this kind logic were true, Sony would have stopped with phones a long time ago. But they are there to compete.

So why did sony stop making consoles with the ps3 Or stop making tvs. Or why hasnt Nintendo stopped making consoles cuz of the wiiu

ikki5 said:
Doubtful. If this kind logic were true, Sony would have stopped with phones a long time ago. But they are there to compete.

I would say that if you look at how MS is going, they have a plan to license or put people into a subscription model on just about all of their software.  Sony can't do that with phones, so they stay in it for Brand awareness.  

Azerth said:
So why did sony stop making consoles with the ps3 Or stop making tvs. Or why hasnt Nintendo stopped making consoles cuz of the wiiu

The Wii U though they are making money on it.... though they do make the console for almost 100$ cheaper than what they sell it.

Landguy said:
ikki5 said:

I would say that if you look at how MS is going, they have a plan to license or put people into a subscription model on just about all of their software.  Sony can't do that with phones, so they stay in it for Brand awareness.  

That... I can believe more so because of what they have done with MS office but I don't think they will just drop the console market, they will make more money with a console and getting people to buy a license on it while selling a license out to others for stuff... which is a scary thought. lol

Around the Network

i think microsoft is making alot money on the xbox live subscritions, so i doubt they wont make money in the long run

Azerth said:

I agree, why Does Sony make TV's anymore?  Branding, that is the only reason I can come up with.  As far as consoles go, if they hadn't turned around the PS3, they might be out of it.  But, the Sony brand is a big seller WORLDWIDE.  Xbox isn't

As far as Nintendo goes, they make money even with a losing console.  They will always have a niche market and they are the masters of portable systems.

nintendo dont need to sell as many wii us as microsoft has to sell xbox´s to make profit. The wii us hardware is ALOT cheaper compared to xbox one but both consoles sell almost on the same price.

So if nintendo makes like 100 bucks per sold console but sony and microsoft are doing like 10 bucks the numbers wont count as much

I don't think so.

I agree with you. MS knows the console industry isn't very profitable and would rather use Xbox's resources towards pc and mobile games.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54