By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Disappearing" JRPG Series in Home Console (Console Space 5-6th Generation)

Someone finally recognized Growlanser! One of the most underrated series ever v.v XD Heritage of War was kinda meh though... Wayfarer of Time is amazing though

Around the Network
Acevil said:
kupomogli said:

Here are some JRPGs that have been missing since the PSX/PS2.

Brigandine (both games released on the PSX.  Grand Edition was a remake of Legend of Forsena, kind of like Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness)
Dokapon (there was a Wii port of the PS2 game, not sure of the rest of the releases, but there's also one of these on the snes.)
King's Field  (two PSP games, they weren't anything like the rest of the King's Field series.)
Ogre Battle  (three games released for this series, snes/psx, n64, and ngpc)
Tactics Ogre  (two games released, knight of lodis for gba and let us cling together for snes/psx/and psp.  psp version was graphically the same additional content and tweaked gameplay.)

Brigandine I am still confused how it is different than one title. I am unsure about Dokapon. I will add King's Battle and Orge Battle. 

Dokapon for SNES.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjiQ9cMu9Pk  Dokapon so/so review for PS2/Wii.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UngplTn7gE

Brigandine Grand Edition is a full blown remake compared to Legend of Forsena, hence being a second game.  It comes on two discs with kingdom specific parts of the story now told in cutscenes, there's a new monster, new classes, passives added for each class, better graphics, attacks done on the field of battle instead of a switching screens and going 3d, red/blue no longer do more damage to one another.  It's now blue > red > green > blue, another map location, bosses.  Music was changed, worse in my opinion.  There's also a multiplayer option with different presets of the map, six countries able to be controlled by humans or ai. 

Legend of Forsena https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1MiDVvX4Lg  Grand Editionhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAuxx-uXOmo  

Did someone mention Jade Cocoon? What a great two games. Shame we never received a third.

Front Mission. The last RPG on home consoles was 5 on PS2. Since then we got a mobile and a handheld game, plus a mediocre third person shooter made by a western studio.

Alundra qualifies as a RPG?

The last home console with a Ys game was the PS2.

Madou Monogatari died in gen 5 if I remember correctly.

Acevil said:

.hack//

./hack as JRPG franchise has disappeared from the home console space after GU. The series did continue in the handheld atmosphere, a fighter game for the ps3, movie, novels, manga and more. A New hack game is in the works, for what we don't know. It might just make a comeback with the success of the ps4. 

Arc The Lad

Arc the Lad has 5-6 titles between two generations and just like it appeared it disappeared. Sony owns this franchise, but with that said, I don't think Sony the owners of greater JRPG franchises, would bring this back first. 

Baten Kaitos

This franchise disappeared after gamecube and besides small rumors and speculations by fans, it has remained gone. 

Breath of Fire

Breath of Fire 6 is in the works, but for the mobile platform. 

Chrono

Despites fans wanting more and Square Enix knowning this, there has to be any real development in this franchise reappearing. 

Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud has disappeared after two amazing games. However some people are already speculating that level 5 might have Dark Cloud announcement at Sony E3 2015. 

Grandia

Grandia III was the last entry to the franchise. However Grandia II is being ported to the PC and one could assume if this title does well, we might see a new entry to this series known for great stories and even greater battle system. 

Growlanser

(Image is slightly different format than I used).

"6 games released for home consoles (5 of them for the PS2) with an RTS style of combat and multiple endings based on your relationship with the rest of the characters. " 

King's Field

Don't be sad this title dissapears, since this series is reborn as the souls series. 

Legend of Legaia

This series is gone, no way other way to say it. It could make a surprise reappearance, but doubtful the IP owners (Sony) are willing to take the risk with this one, not when they own another Legend of game that is by far more popular. 

Lost Kingdoms

This lesser known title from FromSoftware had two titles on the gamecube and was never heard from again. 

Lunar

This franchise has enhanced ports after enhanced ports. In 2005 a new title did appear on the DS, but it has long since appeared on a home console.

Mana

The original series ending with Legends, and the series on the home console front ended with Dawn of Mana. This series is still alive in the mobile market.  

Ogre Battle

While this series does see PSP port of the tactics side of the series (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together), it has largely disappeared. Here is hoping it makes a comeback soon. 

Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve 1 and 2 were on the original playstation and were amazing blend of horror and a JRPG. They did eventually release 3rd title in the series on the PSP called Parasite Eve The Third Birthday. 

SaGA Series

Shadow Hearts

With Shadow hearts developer (dissolved) and IP owner(not really making games), you won't get a new Shadow Hearts game.  

Shenmue

I don't want to write about this, because I don't know much about this franchise outside that Yakuza series takes a lot from it, but good luck getting shenmue 3. 

Shin Megami Tensei 

The fourth installment has appeared on the 3DS, however Nocturne was the last main shin megami tensei game to appear on home console. 

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner

Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga

Both Devil Summoner and Digital Devil Saga seem to be less of priority to Atlus at this time, but if Atlus wanted they could reappear in a snap. 

Shining Force

Shinning Force Series and Shinning Series in general hasn't been seen in the home console front for awhile. With a bunch of the series games appearing on handheld for the near future. 

Suikoden

Suikoden V was the last Suikoden game to appear on the home console.  However this series has really disappeared from gaming in general. Suikoden Tiekreis the last game to appear was on the DS. With Konami questionable behaviour as of late, it is very unlikely, but still hopefully that a new title will be made. 

Valkyrie Profile

Valkyrie Profile 2 was the last game to appear on home console for this series. It did have one more entry in the form of a DS game.

Wild Arms

Wild Arms is very similar to Suikoden in terms of recent game history, with 5 being the last one to appear on home consoles and XF appearing on the PSP. However this franchise is more likely to see a new entry on home consoles, than almost any other entry.

XenoSaga

Nintendo owns the company and have decided to focus on another xeno set of games called Xenoblade. Namco most likely owns the IP to Xenosaga games and characters. The IP is considered complete, and most likely will never have a 4th title. With that said Namco's Harada has made some fans of being hopeful of an HD set for the trilogy.

The Japanese and Chinese language version of Shining Resonance just released on PS3 by December 11 last year.

Around the Network

if there would be remaster/definitive edition of these franchise? would you buy it? since they upgraded the graphics? so developers could know if there are a lot of interest if they make new games from these franchise?

Xxain said:
Kresnik said:
Yep. Sucks, doesn't it?

At least the otaku ghetto has kept things alive through the 7th gen. And hey, Square Enix revived Star Ocean, so anything can happen!

Have to admit though, I prefer playing JRPG's on handhelds these days. Suspend/resume and playing wherever I am just suits them pretty damn well.

And Wild ARMs is the one that hurts the most. Can't believe we never got a new one in the 7th gen, even though Media Vision are still alive and Sony need to sell consoles in Japan! Ugh.

Squared revived Star Ocean? It was never dead. It took 4 years for Star Ocean 3 to come out after 2. It took 6 years for VP2. Star Ocean 5 is within normal tri-Ace development time. Its like if the series isnt seen within 2 years its dead. No its not. Not every JRPG can be put out at FF or Neptunia speeds

FF speeds? 2-3 years at least in between games?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Player2 said:

Front Mission. The last RPG on home consoles was 5 on PS2. Since then we got a mobile and a handheld game, plus a mediocre third person shooter made by a western studio.

Alundra qualifies as a RPG?

The last home console with a Ys game was the PS2.

Madou Monogatari died in gen 5 if I remember correctly.

Alundra will open a whole can warms of the "Zelda -  JRPG or Action Adventure". Namely the second one. Ys is returning so I took it out of the list. 

Adding Front Mission. I cannot dig up enough about Madou to write about it. So if you can, I will add it. 

Removed Shinning Force, if It was released on the ps3 in China.

Added Jade Cacoon. 

gabzjmm23 said:
if there would be remaster/definitive edition of these franchise? would you buy it? since they upgraded the graphics? so developers could know if there are a lot of interest if they make new games from these franchise?

For a lot of these in a heart beat, unlike Final Fantasy games, these games are also hard to come by. So one cannot simply find the game. 

outlawauron said:
Xxain said:

Squared revived Star Ocean? It was never dead. It took 4 years for Star Ocean 3 to come out after 2. It took 6 years for VP2. Star Ocean 5 is within normal tri-Ace development time. Its like if the series isnt seen within 2 years its dead. No its not. Not every JRPG can be put out at FF or Neptunia speeds

FF speeds? 2-3 years at least in between games?

Im just going by the dude! and I wasnt limiting it to mainstream. There is always a Final Fantasy coming out, and apparently if its not the series is dead of disappearing. It took 5 years to do something with Chrono after the universally loved Chrono Trigger. You think they would of done it quicker right? 6 years for VP2. We also have to consider how industry has been less receptive of japanese games in general. 

Thread is being exaggerate, and is not considering stipulations much out outside "we haven't seen this in awhile".  Jade Cacoon? A series that was never popular?

Xxain said:

Kresnik, statements like "to me" or "in my eyes" is jusy shutting out conflicting information so you keep your view.

But at the end of the day, this is only your view vs. my view.  Just as I can't prove that the series was dead, neither can you prove that there were always plans to make Star Ocean 5 down the line.  The "to me" is only prefacing speculation, which is what you were doing but without adding "to me" in there.

To be honest though -  I didn't realise one simple sentence would cause such a fuss.  I don't particularly care whether it was dead or not, I was just providing a counterpoint when you went on the offensive.

Star Ocean was never dead,  and there was never any threat of it never returning.

Better?

Also:

Xxain said:

The last Shining game on a console was on PS2. Since then handheld. 

The last Shining game on a console was on PS3 and it released in 2014.