By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Disappearing" JRPG Series in Home Console (Console Space 5-6th Generation)

Acevil said:
KilleyMc said:

Growlanser is/was a series from Atlus, 6 games released for home consoles (5 of them for the PS2) with an RTS style of combat and multiple endings based on your relationship with the rest of the characters. We didn't get some of the entries but 3 games out of 6, with a fourth released in the west for PSP, ain't that bad. 

Will add that in, any word on new installments of the franchise?

The last one was released only in Japan in 2007, so I'd have to say no. The series is also considered the spiritual succesor of Langrisser (also dead on home consoles), this one will get a new entry on the 3DS  without Satoshi Urushihara as the character designer, but there are no news of Growlanser.

Around the Network
Nem said:
Well, one of the reasons all these JRPG's disappeared was the home console situation last gen. The market shifted alot towards more generic western tastes with the early sucess of the 360.
With the PS4 now looking set to dominate this gen, all these titles get a renewed chance to return. Never with high development values though.
Theres a few series with good potencial to make a comeback if well handled. The formulas of the Wild Arms series, the Breath of fire series (if capcom gave one), Chrono, Legaia (combat needs to evolve alot), Shemue (the world is ready for it now) and Shinig Force (Fire emblem is doing massively well, i dont know why SEGA is this clueless and only aims the games at the japanese market) all could work today.

If i had to take a pick of all those, i would definitly pick Grandia. Its the one in better conditions to make a comeback in the sense that theres clear demand and their combat system is legendary. The visual style of Ragnarok Odyssey was very similar to Grandia aswell, so aslong as theres a will, there certainly are ingredient to make a new one if GungHo wants.

I would love a Suikoden comeback aswell, but yeah... not gonna happen. Not while Konami is a thing.
Other cases are stories than ran their course. Arc the lad twilight was one of three extra sequals the franchise got. Arc the lad was the story of Arc. It ended with the second game. The series was dragging itself ever since because it couldnt ever achieve the same legendary status of the first 2 games.

Xenosaga... was finished. The only reason we may see it as not finished is because we know there is an episode 4 before Xenogears. But i imagine this episode is the past mentioned on Xenogears, so we kind of know where it was heading. Episode 6 would be the big mistery. Either that or maybe episode 4 is Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Once i play i will know better.

Someone mentioned YS. The next game is already coming to PS4 and the series never stoped having next installments, so its quite alive and well.

Part of the reason I made this thread, is to make a list of games that should come back.

I took Ys out early (They were most likely responding to me), because I was unaware of its return to the ps4, outside of sequels for the PSP. I was really unaware of how xenosaga ending being complete enough. I know originally it was supposed to be 6 episodes with gears fitting in. 

I split SMT into sub categories (Main, Devil Summoner, and Digital Devil Saga), originally I called it all "SMT games that aren't persona". 

I have feeling SMT X Fire Emblem game might even get a rename, but I don't consider it relating to either three categories. 

Nem said:

Well, one of the reasons all these JRPG's disappeared was the home console situation last gen. The market shifted alot towards more generic western tastes with the early sucess of the 360.
With the PS4 now looking set to dominate this gen, all these titles get a renewed chance to return. Never with high development values though.
Theres a few series with good potencial to make a comeback if well handled. The formulas of the Wild Arms series, the Breath of fire series (if capcom gave one), Chrono, Legaia (combat needs to evolve alot), Shemue (the world is ready for it now) and Shinig Force (Fire emblem is doing massively well, i dont know why SEGA is this clueless and only aims the games at the japanese market) all could work today.

If i had to take a pick of all those, i would definitly pick Grandia. Its the one in better conditions to make a comeback in the sense that theres clear demand and their combat system is legendary. The visual style of Ragnarok Odyssey was very similar to Grandia aswell, so aslong as theres a will, there certainly are ingredient to make a new one if GungHo wants.

I would love a Suikoden comeback aswell, but yeah... not gonna happen. Not while Konami is a thing.
Other cases are stories than ran their course. Arc the lad twilight was one of three extra sequals the franchise got. Arc the lad was the story of Arc. It ended with the second game. The series was dragging itself ever since because it couldnt ever achieve the same legendary status of the first 2 games.

Xenosaga... was finished. The only reason we may see it as not finished is because we know there is an episode 4 before Xenogears. But i imagine this episode is the past mentioned on Xenogears, so we kind of know where it was heading. Episode 6 would be the big mistery. Either that or maybe episode 4 is Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Someone mentioned YS. The next game is already coming to PS4 and the series never stoped having next installments, so its quite alive and well.

SMT is another series that is alive and well even if it shifter a bit to the Persona sub-series as its biggest one. Its coming on consoles and theres that SMTxFE thing coming to the Wii U aswell. I think the series is doing well aswell.

gonna have to disagree with you here. In the beginning of last gen there quite a few JRPGS, IMHO they werent very good and that is the reason why people lost interest, also it didnt help that MS was playing timed exclusive games. Funny thing is the genre peaked a while ago, way back in the original PS erta, they were putting out JRPGS like it was going out of style and it kinda did. Its not like the PS2 era was a trove for the genre either, it got a lot less JRPGS than the PS1 got. I think its just the natural order of things. No genre stays on top forever, they all rise and fall.

oniyide said:
Nem said:

SMT is another series that is alive and well even if it shifter a bit to the Persona sub-series as its biggest one. Its coming on consoles and theres that SMTxFE thing coming to the Wii U aswell. I think the series is doing well aswell.

gonna have to disagree with you here. In the beginning of last gen there quite a few JRPGS, IMHO they werent very good and that is the reason why people lost interest, also it didnt help that MS was playing timed exclusive games. Funny thing is the genre peaked a while ago, way back in the original PS erta, they were putting out JRPGS like it was going out of style and it kinda did. Its not like the PS2 era was a trove for the genre either, it got a lot less JRPGS than the PS1 got. I think its just the natural order of things. No genre stays on top forever, they all rise and fall.

I dont believe thats right? 6th gen definitely has more JRPG's. Also its a combination of both your points.

Nice thread.

I have actually heard a lot of the series you have listed and played many of the DS games, which happens to be the last of the series..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

I'm surprised no Nintendo fans have mentioned Earthbound or Mother, two on consoles, third one on GBA.

*edit*

Nevermind, just 5th and 6th gen.

No one said Legend of Dragoon.

Xxain said:
No one said Legend of Dragoon.

Single game! :( 

Or I would have listed things like Radiata Stories (awesome game), rogue legacy and bunch of NIS.

Acevil said:

.hack//

./hack as JRPG franchise has disappeared from the home console space after GU. The series did continue in the handheld atmosphere, a fighter game for the ps3, movie, novels, manga and more. A New hack game is in the works, for what we don't know. It might just make a comeback with the success of the ps4. 

i never played Hack// G.U but i always WANTED to, i just never found a copy :/ this is why i wish i still had a PS2, or better yet i wish all the PS2 library was available on PSN, man i would buy so many games... (inlcuding a lot of the ones that you mentioned as well).

.hack GU was a great upgrade over original ._. Except for that Haseo outburts....