By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Disappearing" JRPG Series in Home Console (Console Space 5-6th Generation)

Kresnik said:
Xxain said:

Kresnik, statements like "to me" or "in my eyes" is jusy shutting out conflicting information so you keep your view.

But at the end of the day, this is only your view vs. my view.  Just as I can't prove that the series was dead, neither can you prove that there were always plans to make Star Ocean 5 down the line.  The "to me" is only prefacing speculation, which is what you were doing but without adding "to me" in there.

To be honest though -  I didn't realise one simple sentence would cause such a fuss.  I don't particularly care whether it was dead or not, I was just providing a counterpoint when you went on the offensive.

Star Ocean was never dead,  and there was never any threat of it never returning because there was 100% chance it was going to come back one day.

Better?

Also:

Xxain said:

The last Shining game on a console was on PS2. Since then handheld. 

The last Shining game on a console was on PS3 and it released in 2014.

Yea, I forgot about that one but did not bother to change it because the ultimate point remains the same: Shining went to handhelds. 

Neither of us can prove 100%, but we can get to idea of what is more "likely". Looking at tri-Ace's game development history. Nothing is out of the ordinary. They are not like Tales studio where all they do is Tales. They usually do one installment to their popular series per gen, which they did accomplish last and then do new projects (VP gen 5.Radiata Stories gen 6. RoF and Frontier gate last gen)  which they did accomplish. What is difffrent? Im giving more than just gossip fuelled stuff.

Outside of big ip's: can we ever prove if there was or wasnt plans? Luminous Ark got a sequel, was their plans for that. Wild Arms has 5 installments, was each planned? Or do they happen as situations allow them too? We can never prove that man. Star ocean is tri-Aces bread and butter why Wouldn't they have plans for one even SE was being idiots. According to Gotanda, creater of SO, he has material for many novels and games? He writing them for a reason right? 

Around the Network
Xxain said:

Neither of us can prove 100%, but we can get to idea of what is more "likely". Looking at tri-Ace's game development history. Nothing is out of the ordinary. 

Outside of big ip's: can we ever prove if there was or wasnt plans? Luminous Ark got a sequel, was their plans for that. Wild Arms has 5 installments, was each planned? Or do they happen as situations allow them too? We can never prove that man. Star ocean is tri-Aces bread and butter why Wouldn't they have plans for one even SE was being idiots. According to Gotanda, creater of SO, he has material for many novels and games? He writing them for a reason right? 

I would argue that Luminous Arc was dead and that got revived as well :P

As for the rest of it, we're just treading old ground here.  Square Enix have ultimate say in whether a new Star Ocean gets made or not, and you're argument here seems to be that it was up to Tri-Ace and this is just normal development time for them.  I don't agree, for the aforementioned reason.  Can we just leave it at that, because I really don't care that much about semantics of whether it was dead or not, I'm just happy it's back after a lengthy absence!

edit:

I would really like a new Chrono game please... someone.... anyone? pretty pretty please with cherries on top.

estebxx said:
Acevil said:

.hack//

./hack as JRPG franchise has disappeared from the home console space after GU. The series did continue in the handheld atmosphere, a fighter game for the ps3, movie, novels, manga and more. A New hack game is in the works, for what we don't know. It might just make a comeback with the success of the ps4. 

i never played Hack// G.U but i always WANTED to, i just never found a copy :/ this is why i wish i still had a PS2, or better yet i wish all the PS2 library was available on PSN, man i would buy so many games... (inlcuding a lot of the ones that you mentioned as well).

Looks like you get your wish http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=203010

and it got taken away because of premature news story. 

Acevil said:
estebxx said:
Acevil said:

.hack//

./hack as JRPG franchise has disappeared from the home console space after GU. The series did continue in the handheld atmosphere, a fighter game for the ps3, movie, novels, manga and more. A New hack game is in the works, for what we don't know. It might just make a comeback with the success of the ps4. 

i never played Hack// G.U but i always WANTED to, i just never found a copy :/ this is why i wish i still had a PS2, or better yet i wish all the PS2 library was available on PSN, man i would buy so many games... (inlcuding a lot of the ones that you mentioned as well).

Looks like you get your wish http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=203010

and it got taken away because of premature news story. 

wait is this real? i saw people talking about it in another forum but someone said it was confirmed to be just a missunderstanding and that there is no HD version coming out :/ i hope he is wrong because i would buy those games ASAP.

Around the Network
estebxx said:

wait is this real? i saw people talking about it in another forum but someone said it was confirmed to be just a missunderstanding and that there is no HD version coming out :/ i hope he is wrong because i would buy those games ASAP.

That is what happened. 

Clyde32 said:
Acevil said:

I mean everything that isn't persona. I know Devil Survivor and Mainline exists in handheld space, but Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga and Devil Summoner, pretty much don't exist, or will exist. 

Isn't Catherine a SMT spin-off?

This would be more of a writer's wanking than an actual spinoff if that's the case. They only thing these games have in common is the creative team, and the universes being split isn't a problem for either persona or catherine.

OT : Would love to see a new DDS (reboot ?) The story really felt different from both mainline and persona.

RenCutypoison said:
Clyde32 said:

Isn't Catherine a SMT spin-off?

This would be more of a writer's wanking than an actual spinoff if that's the case. They only thing these games have in common is the creative team, and the universes being split isn't a problem for either persona or catherine.

OT : Would love to see a new DDS (reboot ?) The story really felt different from both mainline and persona.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't port DDS.

Acevil said:
RenCutypoison said:

I'm honestly surprised they didn't port DDS.

I guess the games didn't have much success in the west. DDS 1 was pretty much impossible to find in retail and i bought a collector edition of DDS2 last month for 20$ (new)

Shenmue is not an RPG series.
It's really Action/Adventure. There is nothing RPG about it. You don't level up. There are no stats or any upgrades to armor or weapons since there is none.