Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is so hard for Wii U sell 20,000,000?

Wii U to sell 20,000,000 ?

No way for sell less. 29 5.82%

i will be shocked if will sell less... 38 7.63%

50 / 50 chance 91 18.27%

hardly, but not impossible 158 31.73%

not a chance. 182 36.55%

Total:498
Nogamez said:

Can I have source for your skyward sword sales? Cos Nintendo released 1st weekend sales off 3.8million then no more so how do you know lifetime to date?

VGChartz tracks video game sales. It has Skyward Sword at 3.89 million http://www.vgchartz.com/game/45669/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/

The better question is where is your source for selling 3.8 million first weekend?

Considering the game released in November and it hit 3.42 million in January and then 3.52 million 5 months after release in April, I doubt there are any legitimate sources that say 3.8 million first weekend.

VGC is actually a couple hundred thousand behind at both times, but considering that 3.42m and 3.52m would both be shipped while VGC tracks sold it is fair to assume that it is probably about right.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Around the Network
McDonaldsGuy said:
Many reasons:

1. Wii's momentum slowed down significantly after 2010. Wii sold 85 million units from 2006-2010, but from 2011-2013 sold only 15 million. Aside from Zelda, 2011 and 2012 were quite barren for the Wii as well.

Compare this to the PS3 which was in its prime from 2011-2013. This helped the PS4 get a ton of goodwill and thus sold like crazy.

2. Lack of killer apps. Nothing really screams "gotta have it!" besides for Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. There is no 3D Mario adventure, no Animal Crossing, no Zelda, and no Wii Sports or anything. Wii launched with Wii Sports and Twilight Princess which was huge.

3. Underpowered and overpriced. The Wii U is barely above the 360 and PS3 yet sold for $350 at launch. Not to mention this means less to no multiplats. Also 32GB was a joke in 2012.

4. Online is huge in gaming now and Nintendo still hates it. Nintendo once said "Customers do not want online games" and 10 years later they are still sticking by it.

5. The controller doesn't appeal to anyone. It's super expensive too. The Wiimote appealed to so many different demographics it was crazy: old people, women, hardcore gamers, kids, etc. etc. On the other hand the gamepad has no mass market appeal. Even Nintendo doesn't know what to do with it.

I predicted 40 million total sales for the Wii U in 2012. Admittedly I let some of the hype get to me (as my original prediction was 25 million) but I doubt it can get half of 40 million now. I say it finishes with 15 million by the end of 2016.

So, 15,000,000 by 2016?

This seem reasonable (but i think will sell between 15,500,000 and 16,000,000), but your lifetime prediction?

2020 predictions: NSW 25m, PS5 6m, XSX 4.5m, PS4 11m, XB1 4m

In December 2019 i predicted 21m Switch, 9m PS4 and 3m XB1, but that was before COVID, obvius increased my predictions.

Dunban67 said:
Miyamotoo said:
thatguymarco said:
Miyamotoo said:

Wii U currently is selling better than last year, last year was around 3.6m for whole year, for Q4 (holiday season) of 2013. and Q4 2014. Wii U sold around 2m without price cut.

This year Wii U sold around 500k for first 3 month, and you expecting to sell only 700k-1m for next 9 months including holiday season with very likely price cut!?

Yes. Somehow, some way, we will be all disappointed by the big N. I trust them to do that much. :P

Eh, in all seriousness, I hadn't checked WiiU's sales lately, if the things you're telling me are correct, I now expect the Wii U to go out with a bit less than 15M, being optimistic.

Well, like I said Wii U this year will be sold 3-4m, and at end of year will probably be 12m>, for next year I don't believe will sell less than 3m, so you can say that 15m LT will be minimum.

but we have not hit MK8 or SSB comps yet-   unless we get a HUGE surprise at e3 there is no title releasing this year that can move consoles like those 2

True, but we will have have price cut and few smaller titles than MK8 and SSB.

We wont have a price cut as long as Nintendo is not capable of a major hardware revision.
If someone manages to build a single chip design in a smaller manufacturing step instead of this MCM design right now, mainboard redesign, thus smaller PSU etc. it is unlikely.
And if Nintendo does so, please do a four meter USB charge cable for the gamepad instead of its PSU.

Other option would be getting rid of the gamepad.

4 million for 2015? They have no big sellers for 2015 like Mario Kart 8 or SSB, not happening.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network
Ali_16x said:
4 million for 2015? They have no big sellers for 2015 like Mario Kart 8 or SSB, not happening.

Again... Smash was nothing.

In December 2019 i predicted 21m Switch, 9m PS4 and 3m XB1, but that was before COVID, obvius increased my predictions.

15M is the maximum I see as it only sells 3 million a year. It's successor will probably be released in 2-3 years anyways.

3DS Friend Code: 0533 - 6146 - 0418
PSN ID: atylerman5

Ryng_Tolu said:
Ali_16x said:

This isn't Kirby canvas we're talking about. This is smash. Smash is definitely something and it's 2 or 3rd best system seller for Wii u. In fact it's the main reason I want a wii u. Same for many people 

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Judging by the casuals I know.

The Wii motion controls were new fun and the console was a great party platform.

The Wii-U touch screen is not new (cell phone games, DS, have all done touch screen) and it isn't the great party system the Wii was.

kinisking said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
Ali_16x said:

This isn't Kirby canvas we're talking about. This is smash. Smash is definitely something and it's 2 or 3rd best system seller for Wii u. In fact it's the main reason I want a wii u. Same for many people 

The most people have bought a 3DS for Smash. of course is not a surprised...

• 1 month before Wii U version
  • A bundle with 3DS limited
A games like Zelda will sell more Wii U than Smash Bros, even with less sales... with a bundle even XenoBlade can sell more Wii U.