By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is so hard for Wii U sell 20,000,000?

Wii U to sell 20,000,000 ?

No way for sell less. 29 5.82%

i will be shocked if will sell less... 38 7.63%

50 / 50 chance 91 18.27%

hardly, but not impossible 158 31.73%

not a chance. 182 36.55%

Total:498
Samus Aran said:
captain carot said:
Nope. Xenoblade wont sell more Wii U's. At least outside Japan.
The only JRPG that is that big is Final Fantasy. And that happens to be another 'not on Wii U' game.
I hope Xenoblade X sells more than one million copys. Just dont expect it to move a major amount of consoles outside Japan.

After 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros there is actually one known system seller left. That's Zelda. That's 2016 now.
All 2015 games are somwhere between niche and sells quite good but not a major console seller.

As long as Nintendo does not manage to reduce the hardware cost (major hardware revision) there will as well be no price cut.

4 million in 2015 is way to optimistic right now. 3 million units seems realistic, 3.5 million at the very best.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/81068/youkai-watch-2-gansohonke/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/85012/youkai-watch-2-shinuchi/ (slightly different version than ganso/honke)

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/4030/pokemon-red-green-blue-version/

Both Handheld and one only in Japan so far. Tell me just one other JRPG that sold home consoles in the west. Especially a new IP. It's even hard to say right now how small or big Xenoblade X is in Japan right now. But it seems like every home console RPG it is much smaller than Yokai Watch.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Question: Why is it so hard for the Wii U to reach 20m?

Answer: Simple math.

The Wii U has been out 3 years and hasn't even reached half of 20m. Not only that but it is slowing down, not accelerating in sales. Oh and it gets replaced next year...

If you have nothing contructive to add then don't post. Stop posting stuff like that as if it were a fact.

Nothing constructive?  I answered a question with reality.  That is literally why the Wii U cannot, and will not reach 20m.  Sorry.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Mnementh said:
Dr.Vita said:
NX was already teased, Wii U will be dead in 1-2 years imo.  

If NX is the successor to the WiiU, will Nintendo never replace the 3DS? I think assuming the NX is the 4DS is a safe bet.

Or a fusion of both.

jonathanalis said:
the price drops will conduct the wii U sales.
it can reach 20M and even pass GC if price drops.
but it could sell 15M if there no more price drops.
IMO.

Price drop or not you really think the Wii U, a console more than half way through its life; will sell most of its units in the second half of its life?

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

20 million is not difficult, it is impossible. You don't even need to make a research about it. 15 million will be quite a challenge by itself.

Around the Network

Yep. 3-3.5 million in 2015 should be possible. To do better Wii U would have needed Zelda this year.

And either way, 2016 will likely Wii U's last 'good' year. After that sales will likely drop with a successor as well as without.

Wii U would need three years at 2014 levels to reach 20Mil, but 2014 looks like was the peak year for Wii U. Games this year don't have the sales power of MK8 & Smash. Next week Nintendo will have their annual earnings release, and I predict they will give lower Wii U sales guidance for 2015 than 2014.

My 8th gen collection

The average gamer just doesn't care about Nintendo IP as much as they use to.

Also, the Gamecube had a better library of games at the same time on the market than the Wii U does currently.

zorg1000 said:
DolPhanTendo said:
Two Words Xenoblade and Splatoon WiiU sells 7 million this year and 10 next year. Also NX is a handheld

There is no way u honestly believe that

Proof is the pudding but yeah I do.

zorg1000 said:
Dunban67 said:
IMO the Wii U is looking at 14 million sales for its effective lifetime (point in which its replacement is launched)

Nintendo is getting out of the Wii U what it has put into it- They never seemed to have confidence in it and it has been evident to the market sales) and industry (3rd party, general media/ pr etc)

They will have to put significant effort and investment into their next consoles early in their lifespans or they will end up w more Wii U situations)

In many ways it seems like this was a transitional generation, this is their first handheld that uses 3D visuals to a large extent, DS was capable of it as seen by Mario 64 DS but for the most part they stuck to simple 2D visuals. It's also the first console to utilize HD visuals so with both of these factors, development times/costs have likely increased substantially compared to DS/Wii. With Iwata talking so much about unifying their devices to increase software output and make it easier to port games to/from each device, hopefully they can fix the situation and come back strong next-generation.

Transitional is a good word for it-  It has been like they either were not sure or not ready to comit to the directon they wanted

Whatever they do next will be critical for the company-  After the insanley profitable wii and Ds the could afford to tread water for a little while but in a competivie business like gaming/entertainmetn/software they can t afford to do so for long