By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is so hard for Wii U sell 20,000,000?

Wii U to sell 20,000,000 ?

No way for sell less. 29 5.82%

i will be shocked if will sell less... 38 7.63%

50 / 50 chance 91 18.27%

hardly, but not impossible 158 31.73%

not a chance. 182 36.55%

Total:498
thatguymarco said:
Miyamotoo said:
thatguymarco said:
Not a chance for it to pass 12M.

Serious or joking?

Wii U at end of this year will be around around 12m.

Serious. Very serious. I expect it to be around 10.2m - 10.5m at the year's end. After that, Zelda 2016 will give it a big .5m-.8m push, leaving it around the 11M mark, if the NX gets announced in 2016 and it's a console, most people interested in buying a Wii U will rather wait, then the Wii U's sales will start slowing down, maybe it could have another .1m-.2m push if Metroid comes around, but I can't see it selling any "big for Nintendo" numbers after that.

I expect the Wii U to go out at 11.5M - 11.8M, and that's a good thing, for what a failure the Wii U is, those are very big numbers.

Let me get this clear: You expect the console to sell just over a million this whole  year while the Wii U already sold pretty much half of it in the first 3 month? that would mean the wii U may not sell more than 12k a week to meet your prediction for the rest of this year. So prepare to get seriously dissapointed, as there's no way the sales could bet that bad. The console will also be very probably above the 11.8 you're expecting as lifetime sales by the end of this year even without a new Mario Kart or a Smash Bros coming out this year, as there are enough other games to keep sales floating above the droughts of the previous years.

Around the Network

Two Words Xenoblade and Splatoon WiiU sells 7 million this year and 10 next year. Also NX is a handheld

IMO the Wii U is looking at 14 million sales for its effective lifetime (point in which its replacement is launched)

Nintendo is getting out of the Wii U what it has put into it- They never seemed to have confidence in it and it has been evident to the market sales) and industry (3rd party, general media/ pr etc)

They will have to put significant effort and investment into their next consoles early in their lifespans or they will end up w more Wii U situations)

Dunban67 said:
IMO the Wii U is looking at 14 million sales for its effective lifetime (point in which its replacement is launched)

Nintendo is getting out of the Wii U what it has put into it- They never seemed to have confidence in it and it has been evident to the market sales) and industry (3rd party, general media/ pr etc)

They will have to put significant effort and investment into their next consoles early in their lifespans or they will end up w more Wii U situations)

In many ways it seems like this was a transitional generation, this is their first handheld that uses 3D visuals to a large extent, DS was capable of it as seen by Mario 64 DS but for the most part they stuck to simple 2D visuals. It's also the first console to utilize HD visuals so with both of these factors, development times/costs have likely increased substantially compared to DS/Wii. With Iwata talking so much about unifying their devices to increase software output and make it easier to port games to/from each device, hopefully they can fix the situation and come back strong next-generation.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DolPhanTendo said:
Two Words Xenoblade and Splatoon WiiU sells 7 million this year and 10 next year. Also NX is a handheld

There is no way u honestly believe that

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Question: Why is it so hard for the Wii U to reach 20m?

Answer: Simple math.

The Wii U has been out 3 years and hasn't even reached half of 20m. Not only that but it is slowing down, not accelerating in sales. Oh and it gets replaced next year...

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Eddie_Raja said:
Question: Why is it so hard for the Wii U to reach 20m?

Answer: Simple math.

The Wii U has been out 3 years and hasn't even reached half of 20m. Not only that but it is slowing down, not accelerating in sales. Oh and it gets replaced next year...

If you have nothing contructive to add then don't post. Stop posting stuff like that as if it were a fact.

the price drops will conduct the wii U sales.
it can reach 20M and even pass GC if price drops.
but it could sell 15M if there no more price drops.
IMO.

Ryng_Tolu said:
Ali_16x said:
4 million for 2015? They have no big sellers for 2015 like Mario Kart 8 or SSB, not happening.

Again... Smash was nothing.

Keep in mind that not everyone buys a console for a game the week that game launches. I have plenty of friends who bought a wiiu last summer to play Smash. Others bought it even earlier than that for a combination of games, including Smash, since they knew there'd be a new one at some point. I don't think the 3ds version affected hardware sales as much as you think.

Dr.Vita said:
NX was already teased, Wii U will be dead in 1-2 years imo.  

If NX is the successor to the WiiU, will Nintendo never replace the 3DS? I think assuming the NX is the 4DS is a safe bet.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]