By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is so hard for Wii U sell 20,000,000?

Wii U to sell 20,000,000 ?

No way for sell less. 29 5.82%

i will be shocked if will sell less... 38 7.63%

50 / 50 chance 91 18.27%

hardly, but not impossible 158 31.73%

not a chance. 182 36.55%

Total:498
captain carot said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

146 PEOPLE HAVE VOTED NOT A CHANCE!?!??!?!??!?!?!?
Lol... some people don't even know what is the word "impossible"...
Save this thread for the future.

And probabily not even half of who comment have read the OP.

Well, i read the OP. And that basically is by far the point.

Expecting somwhere between 3 and (very) optimistic 3.5 million for 2015.

2.5-3 million with Zelda U and at least one really big IP in 2016.

Arround 1-1.5 Consoles in 2017 with at least a few late releases.

definitely under 1 million in 2018 and Nintendo stopping production, zero games except maybe some e-shop indies.

So, being optimistic and Wii U not getting a successor before late 2018 7-9 million units.

As for price cuts, at the same time Wii U is now the Gamecube was already sold for 149,-€. Problem is, theres no way Wii U could get that cheap with Gamepad right now. Maybe 249,-€ with Gamepad and a major hardware revision. Maybe 199,-€ without Gamepad.

No gamecube was at 99$...It got two price cuts,one of 50$ in 2002 and another one  of 50$ in 2003,199$->149$->99$ Well,I wish you would  be right about the 149$,it would mean that gamecube would be with one price cut be by that time and the comparison with wii u would be fairer!

Now we compare a system with two yearly back to back price cuts vs a system at full price,very illuminating comparison,and way fair...

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Price drop or not you really think the Wii U, a console more than half way through its life; will sell most of its units in the second half of its life?

yes i think, because it sold porly in the first half mostly because of the price.

It doesnt need to sell wonderfully to double sales.

Are you listening to yourself?

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Ryng_Tolu said:
kinisking said:

This isn't Kirby canvas we're talking about. This is smash. Smash is definitely something and it's 2 or 3rd best system seller for Wii u. In fact it's the main reason I want a wii u. Same for many people 

The most people have bought a 3DS for Smash. of course is not a surprised...

• 1 month before Wii U version
  • A bundle with 3DS limited
A games like Zelda will sell more Wii U than Smash Bros, even with less sales... with a bundle even XenoBlade can sell more Wii U.

i know 2 people with wii u smash. 1 person with 3ds. Maybe in japan. but who would buy a console to play a significantly down graded version of a game?

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

kinisking said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

A games like Zelda will sell more Wii U than Smash Bros, even with less sales... with a bundle even XenoBlade can sell more Wii U.

i know 2 people with wii u smash. 1 person with 3ds. Maybe in japan. but who would buy a console to play a significantly down graded version of a game?

Maybe someone who likes gaming on a handheld. I'd rather play a game on psvita over ps4 even though I have both and I know that it will most likely run
 better in a ps4.

I think a lot of you are forgetting something HUGE.

As of today, Its taken WiiU from almost 3 years to barely reach 9.5mil (lets say 9.7mil for the hell of it) in console sales. This number happened because of awesome games like Smash/Kart 8/DK: TF/Pikmin 3/Mario 3d world/NSMB WiiU/Mario party 10/Nintendo Land/Toads Treasure Tracker and exclusive 3rd party games like ZombiU/W101/Bayonetta 2/Hyrule Warriors. Some of these games have even received QUALITY/affordable DLC and millions of Amiibo to push the "on the fence" gamers to get a WiiU........

^ and yet the WiiU ONLY sold 9.7mil. Some of the biggest megatons the company has were dropped in the first 3 years and ONLY 9.7mil consoles have been sold. This is pretty damn bad.

Look, i love my WiiU. I bought the thing at launch, play it at least 5 times a week for multiple hours a night (i even run large scale smash bros events with it on some weekends) and it is the only console i own. I am in no doubt a nintendo hater/basher but dear lord there is no way the WiiU will hit 20mil by 2018 (NX will be out by Nov 2018).

Do you really think Splatoon, Zelda, XenoBlade 2, StarFox WiiU and Metroid WiiU/F-Zero WiiU (lets assume these are happening) will dish out another 10.3mil in console sales by 2018? Yes, im sure there will be other great WiiU games come out in between all these games that ive not listed but honestly the big hitter here is Zelda. Zelda will def sell consoles but not at the rate a casual+competitive friendly Kart/Smash (both of which have quality/low cost DLC) would in the long haul.

Again, i wanna agree that WiiU will hit 20mil by the time NX arrives but i honestly cant see it happening.

Around the Network

It's just two and a half years, though i'd basically would agree.

Console sales would have to explode, that's unlikely. Instead, every Nintendo home console in the last 20 years sold best in the first years with heavily diminishing sales after four years.
So even with Wii U getting a successor in 2018 it seems unlikely that it will sell well from 2017 onwards.

Now, how long will it be produced and sold? The Gamecube didn't work to well for Nintendo. So they stopped production just after the Wii Release. Wii U sells worse, though, because it's expensive to manufacture, at a much higher price. Again, seems unlikely that it's produced longer than until early 2019. Depending on U's on the shelf they might even stop production before a successor arrives.

If it where possible for Nintendo to sell Wii U for 149,-€/$ from Q3 2015 onwards, well then i could see it reaching 20 million.

And by the way, they had it in their hands last year. 249$/€ pricecut, SSBU coming at least one or two month before SSB3D, Xenoblade X out in Japan in november/december etc and Wii U might have reached 12 million last year. But it didn't.

EDIT:

This is the quote: "With respect to the impact of Wii U hardware sales on profit and loss, in order to sell 3.60 million units, we have to produce some more hardware units on top of our current hardware inventory."

Original post:

If i read Iwata's comments correctly, Nintendo stopped making Wii Us.
I don't know what Investor Meeting it was, but if i find out, i'll update this post.

There was a comment in one of the Investor Meetings where Iwata mentioned that Nintendo would have to produce more Wii Us.

It makes sense, after all. When they even reached a point where, in Europe, they had to take inventory back (10k units or so, i think) then you can bet that they had enough stock for a good number of months.

kinisking said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Well, i know 3 people with 3DS version, and 0 with the Wii U version... and i live in Europe, not in Japan. (Italy for be correct)

Where you live?

People just don't want it. And it's games obviously aren't interesting enough for them. There's no big elaborate explanation.