By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Wii U surpassed that E3 2011 Zelda teaser yet?

Has it been topped yet, visually?

Yes 173 45.05%

No 211 54.95%

Total:384
SpokenTruth said:

I think this phrase is the problem.  The "limits" are within the ability of the programmers, the API (if applicable), the programming language itself, time (expereince with the hardware), etc...

There are hobbyist coders that are doing things on legacy computers and consoles that those devices were never expected to be capable of doing.  I've seen an Atari 2600 do FMV.

My point is there is always more than can be done on hardware than we ever get to see during a console generation.  We never see the hardware pushed to its abolute limits.  We only see the hardware pushed to the limits of the time, money and expertise of the programmers at the time.

We're on the same page then. 

When it comes to pushing the hardware to its limits, for me it's not only being capable of displaying certain effects and whatnot. It's that, coupled with maximizing the usage of the hardware components. Gotta make that hardware cry from all that heat. If a dev manages to use an effect in their games, that hardly anyone else does, well, that's a nice effect. But is the hardware heating under the hood? What percentage of the CPU and GPU is the game utilizing? If hardly is used, the game isn't pushing the hardware.  That's how I see it.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
SpokenTruth said:

I think this phrase is the problem.  The "limits" are within the ability of the programmers, the API (if applicable), the programming language itself, time (expereince with the hardware), etc...

There are hobbyist coders that are doing things on legacy computers and consoles that those devices were never expected to be capable of doing.  I've seen an Atari 2600 do FMV.

My point is there is always more than can be done on hardware than we ever get to see during a console generation.  We never see the hardware pushed to its abolute limits.  We only see the hardware pushed to the limits of the time, money and expertise of the programmers at the time.

When it comes to pushing the hardware to its limits, for me it's not only being capable of displaying certain effects and whatnot. It's that, coupled with maximizing the usage of the hardware components. Gotta make that hardware cry from all that heat. If a dev manages to use an effect in their games, that hardly anyone else does, well, that's a nice effect. But is the hardware heating under the hood? What percentage of the CPU and GPU is the game utilizing? If hardly is used, the game isn't pushing the hardware.  That's how I see it.

I generally agree, but it can get a little more complicated though; like overloading a CPU to breaking point, but with convoluted, unoptimized code. You want to make your components sweat, yes, but you also wanna refine your code to get the most out of each clock cycle.

curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

I generally agree, but it can get a little more complicated though; like overloading a CPU to breaking point, but with convoluted, unoptimized code. You want to make your components sweat, yes, but you also wanna refine your code to get the most out of each clock cycle.

That's a given. You wouldn't be maximizing the hardware usage if your code is a mess.

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

That's a given. You wouldn't be maximizing the hardware usage if your code is a mess.

For CPU, Hyrule Warriors or Assassin's Creed 3 probably push Wii hardest, for RAM Xenoblade X, not sure about the GPU...

SpokenTruth said:
curl-6 said:

For CPU, Hyrule Warriors or Assassin's Creed 3 probably push Wii hardest, for RAM Xenoblade X, not sure about the GPU...

Bayonetta 2?

Possibly, though it should be kept in mind that this is a GPU that outperforms the PS3/360's, so I think it has juice yet untapped.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
curl-6 said:
SpokenTruth said:

Bayonetta 2?

Possibly, though it should be kept in mind that this is a GPU that outperforms the PS3/360's, so I think it has juice yet untapped.

Oh, no doubt.  Just figuring that's the game that currently pushes the GPU the hardest.

It may well be. The sheer amount of alpha and effects it throws around the screen, combined with nicely modeled (and often enormous) characters and some quite expanive backdrops can make some pretty demanding spectacle.

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

Yes, but the way some armors have a glossy effect mixed in with a mesh and fabric look may not be the end all be all of a shaders abilities, it still looks great

It seems to be just as well utilized (if not more so) than this.

The second shot isn't direct feed, so it's not exactly a fair comparison; I couldn't find one that was, but in this gif below, cloth seems better shaded in the demo, though that's to be expected as it's rendering one guy in a room versus two people in a massive field. ;)

I don't know, I'm fully willing to be wrong I just don't see better use of shaders in the tech demo.

bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:

The second shot isn't direct feed, so it's not exactly a fair comparison; I couldn't find one that was, but in this gif below, cloth seems better shaded in the demo, though that's to be expected as it's rendering one guy in a room versus two people in a massive field. ;)

I don't know, I'm fully willing to be wrong I just don't see better use of shaders in the tech demo.

It's fairly easy to apply metallic gloss (their armour) or a normal map, (the avatar's pants) but in the Zelda demo there seems to be more nuance in how light interacts across the cloth.

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

It's fairly easy to apply metallic gloss (their armour) or a normal map, (the avatar's pants) but in the Zelda demo there seems to be more nuance in how light interacts across the cloth.

I guess I'd need to see a similar situation in a Xenoblade X gif to be able to comment on that. 

bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:

I guess I'd need to see a similar situation in a Xenoblade X gif to be able to comment on that. 

I still reckon if we're gonna talk shaders to beat on Wii U, it's this: