By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Wii U surpassed that E3 2011 Zelda teaser yet?

Has it been topped yet, visually?

Yes 173 45.05%

No 211 54.95%

Total:384
bigtakilla said:

There were a few things that were obvious shortcuts they made when making the tech demo. Such as the flames in the torches all being copy/paste with a little delay. Then the fact that none of the hairs on the spiders body had any motion, and the Link model had clumped hair strands.

Compair that to the LoZ Wii U game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF9xDrQ9gKQ

The grass seperates and bends as Epona gallops through it, there are real time lighting and shadows (unlike the tech demo), Epona's tail and main hair move independantly, Link's clothing flows with the wind, the areas are MUCH bigger (obviously). It is not just better, it could almost be considered a gen leap on a technical level.

Zelda U is probably the most impressive game with XCX and B2, people don't realize how much tech it's pushing because of its animated visuals. XCX with its scale is a spectacle to watch:

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
bigtakilla said:

There were a few things that were obvious shortcuts they made when making the tech demo. Such as the flames in the torches all being copy/paste with a little delay. Then the fact that none of the hairs on the spiders body had any motion, and the Link model had clumped hair strands.

Compair that to the LoZ Wii U game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF9xDrQ9gKQ

The grass seperates and bends as Epona gallops through it, there are real time lighting and shadows (unlike the tech demo), Epona's tail and main hair move independantly, Link's clothing flows with the wind, the areas are MUCH bigger (obviously). It is not just better, it could almost be considered a gen leap on a technical level.

Zelda U is probably the most impressive game with XCX and B2, people don't realize how much tech it's pushing because of its animated visuals. XCX with its scale is a spectacle to watch:

XCX is no doubt better on a technical level too! I just figured my attachment with the series would place doubt on me just being biased.

It just occurred to me that Trine 2: Director's Cut is also a strong candidate.

Like the Zelda demo, it uses a contained presentation, namely 2D sidescrolling gameplay, to focus the system's rendering power. It takes a game that already looked beautiful on PS3 and 360, and amps up the textures, anti-aliasing, screen resolution, water effects, and destructibility. 

I think the Zelda demo is doing more with shaders than any real game, but as has been stated many times, there are quite a few games that are better looking in every other way.

h2ohno said:
I think the Zelda demo is doing more with shaders than any real game, but as has been stated many times, there are quite a few games that are better looking in every other way.

While I would question that against games like Xeno X, I must say I see where you are coming from.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
h2ohno said:

While I would question that against games like Xeno X, I must say I see where you are coming from.

As awesome as XCX looks, I don't think it's the best showcase of the system's shading capabilities.

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

As awesome as XCX looks, I don't think it's the best showcase of the system's shading capabilities.

You could be right, though I do think there are things in that game that showcase the systems shading capabilities really well. Like the characters armor sets.

I'm going to get Zelda no matter what and it looks like it's gonna be cool but I have to admit, I'd be more excited if the same looked like the 2011 demo.

bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:

You could be right, though I do think there are things in that game that showcase the systems shading capabilities really well. Like the characters armor sets.

The glossy finish looks slick, but it doesn't seem to be a very complex effect. I'd say a better example would be something that uses a physically based shading model that more realistically simulates real materials, such as (sorry Hynad, but I can't think of another example as appropriate for this specfic criteria...)  Art of Balance. XD

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

The glossy finish looks slick, but it doesn't seem to be a very complex effect. I'd say a better example would be something that uses a physically based shading model that more realistically simulates real materials, such as (sorry Hynad, but I can't think of another example as appropriate for this specfic criteria...)  Art of Balance. XD

Yes, but the way some armors have a glossy effect mixed in with a mesh and fabric look may not be the end all be all of a shaders abilities, it still looks great

It seems to be just as well utilized (if not more so) than this.