By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Xbox Brand Simply Weaker Than the Playstation Brand?

Which Gaming Brand is the Biggest?

Playstation 690 76.07%

Xbox 51 5.62%

Nintendo 124 13.67%

iOS 42 4.63%

Total:907
small44 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

To be fair, Nintendo and Sega was pushing 3D gaming before Sony entered the fray. And we all know N64 was superior with the polygons.

When PS1 launched they made a platform that did a pretty good job pushing polygons. But people still give them way too much credit, Sony came into the industry because it was already thriving. People seem to think video games weren't popular until PS1.

best selling console before ps1 wasn't able to even outsold ps3 so yeah gaming wasn't as popular as when ps1 came

If you say so, I think you're wrong. Gameboy sold 118 million units by the way. SNES, Genesis, Turbo 16 accounted for about 100 million units. So a lot of gamers already existed even before Playstation.

Playstation was merely a good piece of hardware in an already thriving market. But its the 3rd parties that really brought people to Playstation, this is a fact.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Protendo said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Playstation once again getting more credit than it deserves. Its just a matter time before we here Playstation is the reason gamers exist.

The reality is Playstation was just the right console at the right time. Sony made a pretty decent machine and they threw a lot of money around when competition wasn't as strong. But when Sony dropped the ball with PS3, other companies did fine satisfying consumers. If PS1 didn't exist much of the great support PS1 had would have been successful on other platforms. The best thing about PS1 was 3rd party, not Sony.

On topic: If we include the mobile market Nintendo is a pretty big brand. The Failure of the Wii U is more of a reflection that Nintendo dropped the ball at making an appealing home console. I blame the tablet control.

Now that Sony is mostly dead in the mobile market, they aren't as big as they once were. PS2/PSP era was their prime.

You say that but both Nintendo and Sega didn't want to fully invest in 3D. Sega had to make last minute changes to increase the saturns 3D capabilities (2D maching) just to compete. The 3D era really owes a lot to the Playstation.

To be fair, Nintendo and Sega was pushing 3D gaming before Sony entered the fray. And we all know N64 was superior with the polygons.

When PS1 launched they made a platform that did a pretty good job pushing polygons. But people still give them way too much credit, Sony came into the industry because it was already thriving. People seem to think video games weren't popular until PS1.

If you knew your gaming history you would know that neither Sega nor Nintendo were sold on 3D being viable for home consoles. Both manufacturers were developing 2D powerhouses at the time. Yes Sega revolutionized 3D, yes there arcade games were the most advanced, but until the PSX was revealed the Sega Saturn was 2D system, and the N64 wasn't planning on using the 3D chip it became known for. It was PSX shaking up the market that really helped push 3D forward.

Give credit where credit is due.

Mr Puggsly said:
small44 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

best selling console before ps1 wasn't able to even outsold ps3 so yeah gaming wasn't as popular as when ps1 came

If you say so, I think you're wrong. Gameboy sold 118 million units by the way. SNES, Genesis, Turbo 16 accounted for about 100 million units. So a lot of gamers already existed even before Playstation.

Playstation was merely a good piece of hardware in an already thriving market. But its the 3rd parties that really brought people to Playstation, this is a fact.

I was talking about home consoles
Who said 3rd parties is not the reason Playstation was popular,Xbox is selling well even if ps4 outsell it because of 3rd party too,Nintendo home consoles is selling bad because there's no third party support

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Playstation was/is/will be the biggest gaming brand!

Protendo said:

If you knew your gaming history you would know that neither Sega nor Nintendo were sold on 3D being viable for home consoles. Both manufacturers were developing 2D powerhouses at the time. Yes Sega revolutionized 3D, yes there arcade games were the most advanced, but until the PSX was revealed the Sega Saturn was 2D system, and the N64 wasn't planning on using the 3D chip it became known for. It was PSX shaking up the market that really helped push 3D forward.

I am giving credit too Sony, some Sony fans just give them too much.

Also, 3D gaming kinda sucked during that era. Lets give some credit to PC game developers for really pushing 3D gaming.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
small44 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
small44 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Who said 3rd parties is not the reason Playstation was popular,Xbox is selling well even if ps4 outsell it because of 3rd party too,Nintendo home consoles is selling bad because there's no third party support

So Gameboy doesn't matter? Maybe we should give it some credit for making gaming fans. Instead people tend to give more credit to Playstation.

Right, 3rd parties would have made other platforms successful if PS1 didn't exist. Hence, the industry would have been fine without Playstation. That's all I'm saying. However, I believe compeition is a good thing so I'm glad Playstation does exist. Some people don't want Xbox to exist but they clearly make Sony work harder.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Protendo said:

I am giving credit too Sony, some Sony fans just give them too much.

Also, 3D gaming kinda sucked during that era. Lets give some credit to PC game developers for really pushing 3D gaming.

PC 3D gaming was utterly useless in the beginning of the PSX era. It sounds to me like you're just making excuses not to give Sony credit.

Mr Puggsly said:

If PS1 didn't exist some other platform probably would have sold 100 million. But all the great support came to PS1 so that was the console people flocked to. Hence, the market was thriving even before Sony came into the industry.

MS has been aggressive this gen? I guess you forgot they dropped the ball at launch, they're trying to recover from that. Just like Sony dropped the ball with PS3. You lose market share when you have a bad launch.

That most likely isn't so. Playstation really did bring in a lot of new gamers by making gaming appealing to adults.

Nintendo saved console gaming in late 80s, but without PS it would still now be mainly a kiddie hobby. PS expanded the user base, and gave legitimacy to mature gaming. And without PS1, I doubt Microsoft would have ever entered the gaming scene. Without Sony entering the scene, home console gaming would have probably died by the turn of the millenium, Nintendo would still be producing Gameboys for kids, and PC scene would have been much much smaller.

Mr Puggsly said:
Protendo said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Playstation once again getting more credit than it deserves. Its just a matter time before we here Playstation is the reason gamers exist.

The reality is Playstation was just the right console at the right time. Sony made a pretty decent machine and they threw a lot of money around when competition wasn't as strong. But when Sony dropped the ball with PS3, other companies did fine satisfying consumers. If PS1 didn't exist much of the great support PS1 had would have been successful on other platforms. The best thing about PS1 was 3rd party, not Sony.

On topic: If we include the mobile market Nintendo is a pretty big brand. The Failure of the Wii U is more of a reflection that Nintendo dropped the ball at making an appealing home console. I blame the tablet control.

Now that Sony is mostly dead in the mobile market, they aren't as big as they once were. PS2/PSP era was their prime.

You say that but both Nintendo and Sega didn't want to fully invest in 3D. Sega had to make last minute changes to increase the saturns 3D capabilities (2D maching) just to compete. The 3D era really owes a lot to the Playstation.

When the PS1 came out, devs could start making more mature themed games and that's what got more people into gaming. It opened the market to older people.

Mr Puggsly said:
small44 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
small44 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

So Gameboy doesn't matter? Maybe we should give it some credit for making gaming fans. Instead people tend to give more credit to Playstation.

Right, 3rd parties would have made other platforms successful if PS1 didn't exist. Hence, the industry would have been fine without Playstation. That's all I'm saying. However, I believe compeition is a good thing so I'm glad Playstation does exist. Some people don't want Xbox to exist but they clearly make Sony work harder.

The thread is about xbox brand vs playstation brand and xbox don't have handheld i don't know why i should talk about Gameboy here.

Playstation fans will give credit to playstation ,Nintendo fans will give credits to Nintendo consoles,Microsoft will give credits to microsoft consoles,a fans of a singer or a football team will give credits to their favourite singer and football team nothing strange here,i'm not fans of any consoles i only buy a consoles if i like the games in this console.

You think before PS1 ,third party stay doing nothing!!!they was supporting the most succesfull console with games, yet none of home console sold over 100 millions before Playstation home consoles,PS3 had worse version of third party game yet it outsold XB360 it's mean that Playstation brand is stronger and there's 0 credits in what i'm saying

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m