By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Xbox Brand Simply Weaker Than the Playstation Brand?

Which Gaming Brand is the Biggest?

Playstation 690 76.07%

Xbox 51 5.62%

Nintendo 124 13.67%

iOS 42 4.63%

Total:907

To answer the title....
Duh.

Tongue in cheek, I don't mean that offensively but you probably also knew which brand was stronger.

Around the Network

LOL DUH: Playstation. Nintendo is actually debatable, but Xbox has WAY less presence.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

there is only one answer: Yes

Click HERE and be happy 

GuyWithHighIQ said:

I registered just to post this little rant.

Microsoft only has themselves to blame for the situation of the Xbox brand. They could have killed SONY this gen if it weren't for their greed, but now it looks like SONY will have a monopoly in the hardware market starting next gen (Nintendo is irrelevant and doesn't count).

You know, the funniest thing about this whole flip-flop sales situation is that it was all due to Microsoft's greedy practices. I'm not talking about always-online DRM like what everyone else talks about.
I'm talking about building a good exclusive line-up instead of milking Halo, Forza and Gears and then bribing the media to give those games decent scores. After what happened in the 2nd-half of the generation with the 360, many 360 owners couldn't trust Microsoft to deliver exclusive games on the Xbox ONE.

However, the biggest reason for the Xbox ONE's failure is the bullshit pay2play online fees with Xbox LIVE GOLD. Now that SONY is also charging for online play, there is a huge financial barrier in owning 2 consoles. Both machines are half-gimped without online play, and PlayStation has a far bigger online community for every important online game, so there is more incentive for people to stick with PS+. And this is where the biggest irony comes in. XBL was supposed to be a giant money-making scam by MS, but now it's the main reason why they're getting poor sales. MS is reaping what they sowed.

If Microsoft wants to remain competitive, they should do the right thing and make online gaming FREE. It costs nothing on MS end to host peer2peer online gaming, so they won't be operating at a loss - They just won't be making free money.
In fact, I think this is the only move that can save the Xbox division. It would be big enough for current playstation owners to consider owning a second console just like last generation when many 360 owners bought the PS3 as a secondary console. It would also put enough pressure on SONY to drop their BS online-gaming fees as well, which would benefit all gamers.

Wecome to the site, I gotta say I agree on all points, especially about the online fee requirement, since if Microsoft made live free (like they are doing for windows) it would force Sony to do the same as it should have been optional for both, because that does seem to hurt online communities and ease of use.

This is where I think Nintendo got it right with the Wii U at least.

AlfredoTurkey said:
There are many more iOS devices out there than PS3/PS4 devices so these poll results are 100% invalid lol.

True, but not all iOS device owners are gamers. So be aware of that fact when you compare it with consoles.

Around the Network

I'll just say this. Barring Nintendo rolling out with an insane and sudden spike in marketing skills and consistency and a willingness to go balls to the wall, PlayStation will never be seriously challenged for the crown.

Xbox frankly doesn't have the guns. Their only strength is their money, but only as much as the suits of MS allow. Halo is strong, but currently wounded, Gears is dormant, Forza is still just Forza, and that's really all they have worthy of note. Their hardware being weaker than the PS4 isn't helping matters since the gen turned into a pixel-counting pissing contest.

Nintendo has the guns for the fight, but we all know their unwillingness to go all in and their consistency is all over the place.

To go toe to toe with PlayStation requires. Both big guns and remarkable consistency in brand image management. That's what PS brings and anyone who wants to challenge them needs the same

Nuvendil said:
I'll just say this. Barring Nintendo rolling out with an insane and sudden spike in marketing skills and consistency and a willingness to go balls to the wall, PlayStation will never be seriously challenged for the crown.

Xbox frankly doesn't have the guns. Their only strength is their money, but only as much as the suits of MS allow. Halo is strong, but currently wounded, Gears is dormant, Forza is still just Forza, and that's really all they have worthy of note. Their hardware being weaker than the PS4 isn't helping matters since the gen turned into a pixel-counting pissing contest.

Nintendo has the guns for the fight, but we all know their unwillingness to go all in and their consistency is all over the place.

To go toe to toe with PlayStation requires. Both big guns and remarkable consistency in brand image management. That's what PS brings and anyone who wants to challenge them needs the same

Couldn't have said it better!! Agree on all points. It's refreshing to see so many sane and coherent thoughts on this thread! 

Shackkobe said:

I am left wondering if it is actually possible for Microsoft to win this console war. 

Could it simply be that Playstation is a stronger gaming brand?

Lol! You are still wondering?

The answer to the first is and was always no. The answer to the second is and was always yes.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

daredevil.shark said:
Playstation was always biggest gaming brand. Its been since 1995. In Wii / Xbox 360 time people just forgot it. Now they do remember it again. Its simple.

You don't just forget 599 US Dollars. You avoid it.

In spite of an awful launch, the PS3 slow-burned to second and (doubtfully) possibly even first when all's said and done because Sony was playing catch-up. They were hungry. It's a mentality I miss from them since the PS4 launched. It's a mentality that has me admiring Phil Spencer and the turnaround he's made for the XBO; I'd actually consider maybe buying one in 2017ish now.

I wish Sony would have stayed hungry after the PS4 launched and dominated, because it now feels like they were just prepping to win from the gate and coast from there. We've had maybe three exclusives worth buying in over a year, and several hype machine disappointments. PS+ has dropped in quality (somewhat understandably) since they forced subscription. We got a bad TV show, a cable service without Disney, and a rental service as an attempt to expand the PS branding. It almost feels like they're Wii levels of cocky right now. 

My point is that while the PS brand is clearly stronger, it's also straining right now. Consumer-wise it will always win*, but quality-wise it's on a downward trend, and that disappoints me. We've seen what Sony can do when they dominate, and they're leaning PS3 cocky instead of PS2 confident. And I'm sure this disappointment will resonate just as well in my head when I cave and buy my PS4 in a few weeks. 

(*You never know with Nintendo) 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Xbox is pretty much US/UK only while Playstation appeals WW. Is there anything left to say?