By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony domination begins....?

twesterm said:
NYANKS said:
In that case I can see it, but can a person objectively call Carnival Games a masterpiece and look at Okami and SOTC and correctly say no?

Well Carnival Games did do exactly what it was supposed to do: make money.

Also, don't assume just because you don't like a game it's a bad game. There are people that just eat games like that, Mario Party 8, and even games like Shrek or Cars that you might consider shovelware because you don't like it or think it's cheap. Remember the primary concern of any game is to make money, not make a masterpiece.

Reminds of the people on Maxconsole who think I am crazy because I wanna play Wacky Races when it comes out on the Wii.

Fun talking with you guys but this Vertigo is a hassle and I think I need to sleep so I have some energy and hopefully enough equilibrium tomorrow to finish off Lost Odyssey. 

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
twesterm said:
NYANKS said:
In that case I can see it, but can a person objectively call Carnival Games a masterpiece and look at Okami and SOTC and correctly say no?

Also, don't assume just because you don't like a game it's a bad game. There are people that just eat games like that, Mario Party 8, and even games like Shrek or Cars that you might consider shovelware because you don't like it or think it's cheap. Remember the primary concern of any game is to make money, not make a masterpiece.

Reminds of the people on Maxconsole who think I am crazy because I wanna play Wacky Races when it comes out on the Wii. 

Yes twesterm but thats what some were arguing here, that sales = wide appeal = masterpiece.  Do you agree?  I can't really see the masterpiece part, but I can see thinking any game is fun.

NYANKS said:
Euphoria14 said:
twesterm said:
NYANKS said:

Yes twesterm but thats what some were arguing here, that sales = wide appeal = masterpiece. Do you agree? I can't really see the masterpiece part, but I can see thinking any game is fun.

Masterpieces aren't always successful games and vice versa.  I would consider Okami a masterpiece just from what people have told me about it (still haven't played it--waiting for the Wii version now) but it wasn't successful.  Carnival Games isn't a masterpiece but it is very successful.

Sony enjoyed a 12 year reign at the top with its PS and PS2 consoles, both sold over 100 million consoles each. That reign ended in December 2006 with the launch of the Ninntendo Wii. The Nintendo Wii has been outselling the PS3 2 to 1, over the first 16 months.
By end of current generation expected world wide consoles
Nintendo Wii = 120 million PS3 = 70 million Xbox 360 = 50 million.

wow this whole decision on whats triple A is strangle reminiscent to a college class i had in philosophy of art. in which for six months we spent reading different interpretations and ideas about how to define it. In the end, it basically came down to personal view. also, how well you could defend and define that view.

outside of this it became clear, that man has an irrational desire to categorize everything. If it does not fit neatly, people seem to have a hard time dealing with it.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

Does anyone else find this discussion is missing a certain shark?

I´ll be reading the rest of this thread before I´ll post my opinion on this.

To give an answer towards the topicstarter. I don't think PS3 is gonna dominate like they did before. They probably will get ahead of the xbox 360, but beating the Wii? I think not. Mainly because of all the people that enjoy games like Brain Training, Wii Sports, Wii Play etc. These casual gamers will give Nintendo extra sold consoles which MS and Sony will not get. Just like the group that buys the Nintendo DS Lite still. But for the more challenging games on the Wii I see a lot of resemblance when I look at the Gamecube. Let's face facts here. Nintendo was the only one who ever supported this console good and so far Nintendo is the only one who makes some decent stuff for the Wii. (one or two titles from other developers may be mentioned). That prevents me from getting a Wii. Together with the fact that the games I do wanna play on the Wii are sequels from games I own on the GC. With slight improvements, and most of the times without a lot of Wii features. But it has to be said, those games come with a great fun factor. That's the only thing Nintendo needs to worry about, cause this could decrease the Wii's lifespan... If the Wii isn't here to stay here to say for very long, than Sony might get a chance, otherwise not as previously stated.

About the domination (on the Xbox360 I mean)

dont u think it will end with the MS price cut ?

I think that is a pretty better question to ask !

Time to Work !

NYANKS said:
OMG, you are delusional. Halo 3 is not a masterpiece. You are right, I do have a problem with the rating system, I just find it odd that someone would follow such a rating so blindly. You can think what you want. "AAA" is just an arbitrary piece of crap stat that people use to grade what a game should be. Ok, you're right, perhaps AAA does equal 90% in the minds of the people who review, but AAA is just a random term. Halo 3 = masterpiece = fail.

I am not delusional. I follow the worldwide ratings, to see where a game stands exactly, when compared to other games. Your opinion loses against the combination of many opinions. Even my opinion loses against the combination of many opinions. I like Mario Party Advance. It's not a good game. There are many flaws with it, but I like it. See, I accept the universal opinion on the game, and I know all of its flaws, but I still like it. You might not like Halo 3, but you cannot ignore the reviews, and many positive aspects of it. So don't like it, but accept that it's a masterpiece, because more people would disagree with you. Your opinion does not change the fact that it's a universally acclaimed title.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/halo3?q=halo%203

LOL... Not a masterpiece... 94... NINETY-FOUR!

Yes, it got lower reviews than Halo 2, and Halo 3, but those games were just "more" of a masterpiece. Everything 90%+ is a masterpiece. Just accept it. There is nothing more accurate than Gamerankings, and Metacritic, so even if they are innaccurate, it's the best we have, and the best thing to determine how good a game truly is. I don't like Resident Evil 4. It is a masterpiece, because the graphics are solid, the controls are solid, and the sound is solid, but it's still a masterpiece, because it's a universally acclaimed title. Stop messing things up with your single opinions. I play all games too, but I don't disagree with the review sites. Sure, some reviews might not be honest, but since that's with all games, that pretty much cancels it out.

NYANKS said:
So any game that sells well is a masterpiece? That's what you seem to be implying. This can't be legitimate to you. Carnival games is a masterpiece? Can you possibly explain again.

Incorrect. Masterpiece = 90%+ Sales = popularity. Done. Don't argue. Just accept. ACCEPT.

The world cannot agree with anything. Seriously. There's people out there who would disagree than 1 = 1. Why do I even bother trying to explain the simplest things?

But seriously... I used to look at sales, and reviews, but now I just look at reviews? Why? Because idiots keep buying these stupid sports games, and movie games, and it just messes everything up. I also follow my opinion, but I would follow the reviews first, because unlike some people, I don't like to blindly jump into an $80 game for me to get my opinion on, and find out it sucks.