By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony domination begins....?

a.l.e.x00 said:
De85 said:
twesterm said:
Griffin said:
twesterm said:

I wish people would realize one or two games won't suddenly boost a console sells and pull it out of any kind of slump or whatever. Not saying the PS3 is in a slump, I'm just saying MGS4 isn't suddenly going t oboost sales by 10 million.

Want proof? Look at the Gamecube.

You can't compare the PS3 to the GC. The market has changed too much, the PS3 sales will blow the GC away. The GC also had a very bad Zelda in the wind waker, and a bad Mario game. The GC also had very front heavy sales, while the PS3 sales will continue to get stronger.

Um...are you talking about this Mario game and this Zelda game that both average well over 90%? Try playing the games before criticizing them just listening to what other people said.

Like I said, a game or two alone won't carry a system. If a few good games could carry a system then the GC would have sold much better (and possibly better than the PS2) since it had most of the top games last gen.

It can and it is, without Wii Sports the Wii would be in last place right now.

Wii Sports isn't even a game. It's a demo. Wii would have succeeded with, or without it. It didn't even get fantastic reviews. There has never been a game that has carried a console. NEVER!

@alex00 

Having read the rest of your posts it has become quite clear that you are out of touch with the majority of the Wii's userbase. I'm not going to waste my time trying to speak rationally to an irrational person, just know that in this thread you have failed, epicly.

Around the Network

It is true. There is no such thing as a AAA game, not in society at large. Within a small group known nowadays as "hardcore gamers", the standard is accepted and people will hold the label to be true if they believe in the standard. That's perfectly normal, just about every hobby in existence has a group of what could be termed 'elitists', or those who believe that their opinion holds the greatest importance. But most people do not know of the standards of game quality. The majority of gamers get a game because they've heard of it in some fashion, and/or it sounds appealing to them.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

a.l.e.x00 said:
ameratsu said:

@alex00

if you think a few percentage points (90 or 91 vs 89 or 88) or in this case a small fraction of a percentage point either way determines if a game is "AAA" or not you are clueless. A couple percentage points one way or the other isn't really significant unless you want to count so-called "AAA" in your sig for some reason.

Incorrect. 90%+ = AAA. not 89.9%+. That's the way it is.

Sorry to say, but if you think a few reviewers... who are sometimes PAID to give higher ratings determines whether or not you will buy a game... I feel very very sorry for you.

Ratchet and Clank IS AAA.

Uncharted is AAA.

The GAMERS decided that and THAT is what matters, not some stupid site that people think makes up their minds for them.

One of my favorite games of all time is SaGa Frontier on the PS1. You know what it was rated? In the 70's I believe. Does this mean now that it is junk? DEAD WRONG!!! Halo 3 got a high score on Gamerankings... does that make it better than all those that scored lower than it? I really hope you do not believe that Halo 3 is the BEST FPS ever...

You need to make decisions for yourself, if not, then unfortunately you are but a sheep.

You wanna know what AAA really is? Ask the gamers, not the PAID reviewers.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I've decided that Patapon is an AAA title. The only one the PSP has.

Stillwell said:
I've decided that Patapon is an AAA title. The only one the PSP has.

If that is how you feel, then that is fine. Doesn't bother me none.

I enjoyed Patapon, Loco Roco, God of War, Jeanne D'Arc, soon Final Fantasy Crisis Core as well as plenty of others I left out like Brave Story. Everyone's tastes are different, so for anyone to say that something like Uncharted isn't AAA because 7 or 8 reviewers out of the 6 Billion+ people in the World thought so is well... dumb if you ask me. I much rather prefer to know what the real gamers think.

Need a good example? Check out Lair. Everyone took no time to properly review the damn game other than Game Informer and the Gamers themselves show that. Just hop on IGN and compare the player ranking to the 1, yes 1 person who thought otherwise. Better than that... watch the video review where he bashes the hell out of the game claimng the controls suck yet he waves the damn controller around like it is a Wiimote. Then check out the writer of the 1up review, he actually did the review twice, 2 different sites, 2 different reviews, 2 different scores. Huh?

100+ reviews or 1 review... make your choice.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Around the Network

Ahh, you've stumbled upon the greatest woe of cognitive dissonance: it applies to everything, on every level. You personally don't agree with everything that the game 'core audience at large says is true, even though you could be termed a part of that group because at least a large portion of your opinions match with theirs. Even within sub-groups that share opinions, there are still differing opinions. The real trick is to accept the fact, and not take too much offense when somebody says that something you like isn't good. What you have to remember is, they often forget to add "in my opinion" to the end of their statement.

Sky Render said:
Ahh, you've stumbled upon the greatest woe of cognitive dissonance: it applies to everything, on every level. You personally don't agree with everything that the game 'core audience at large says is true, even though you could be termed a part of that group because at least a large portion of your opinions match with theirs. Even within sub-groups that share opinions, there are still differing opinions. The real trick is to accept the fact, and not take too much offense when somebody says that something you like isn't good. What you have to remember is, they often forget to add "in my opinion" to the end of their statement.

I do not really mind if they do not like a game, I just think people should think for themselves rather than taking 1 or 6 peoples opinions and render them as fact. I have always been one to leave something alone unless I personally played it myself, and for more than 30 minutes. It is how I found my personal Gem, along with Final Fantasy VI, due to me making the stupid choice of getting a Genesis as a child and going on the whole "SNES sucks" binge. Now it is my top ranked game right alongside SaGa Frontier. Big thanks to the wonderful ZSNES. :)

I was sure not to make this mistake again and just decided to pick up all 3 current gen consoles, although the Wii hasn't been touched in ages. I am glad I didn't miss out on Lost Odyssey this time around.

Currently playing:

That strategy has worked for you, from the sounds of it, and that's something to be thankful for. But not everybody can afford that, and you have to admit that there's a lot of overhead in doing things that way, getting 3 systems. It's not economically sound for most people to invest $1,000 to $1,250 in video game hardware. I'm not saying your method is wrong (as for you, it clearly isn't), but your method isn't right for a lot of people. Some have to be choosy in how they spend their free funds. And when that's the case, the opinions of others tend to take on more weight, so one can avoid making a poor purchase.

Sky Render said:
That strategy has worked for you, from the sounds of it, and that's something to be thankful for. But not everybody can afford that, and you have to admit that there's a lot of overhead in doing things that way, getting 3 systems. It's not economically sound for most people to invest $1,000 to $1,250 in video game hardware. I'm not saying your method is wrong (as for you, it clearly isn't), but your method isn't right for a lot of people. Some have to be choosy in how they spend their free funds. And when that's the case, the opinions of others tend to take on more weight, so one can avoid making a poor purchase.

I only make a little over $300 a week working in a warehouse in NY, so I am not very wealthy myself, an apartment costs over $1000 a month for me my girlfriend, so money can get tight. I just learned from my mother how to budget my money well, work on my credit at a young age and set myself up early in life. Not to mention my girlfriend is a gamer so she picked up the Wii for me after dealing with cold weather and poker outside Target. I also picked them up at different times. Wii I bough in Dec of 06, PS3 in Jan 07 and the 360 just 2 weeks ago.

Yeah I understand not everyone can afford all 3 systems or in many cases can not find them and want to make a smart decision, but in time all consoles drop to the point where pretty much anyone can pick one up, so the advice I like to give is to not judge now, judge later when they gave it a chance.

If I can do it in NY (Long Island), I think others can as well, although I wouldn't advise it as it left me broke quite a few times and I refuse to use credit cards now seeing as I still have to pay off this damn car and I do not like "borrowing" money. :p

Currently playing:

NYANKS said:
In that case I can see it, but can a person objectively call Carnival Games a masterpiece and look at Okami and SOTC and correctly say no?

Well Carnival Games did do exactly what it was supposed to do: make money.

Also, don't assume just because you don't like a game it's a bad game.  There are people that just eat games like that, Mario Party 8, and even games like Shrek or Cars that you might consider shovelware because you don't like it or think it's cheap.  Remember the primary concern of any game is to make money, not make a masterpiece.