By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Think Pre-2000 Nintendo is the greatest thing ever

XanderXT said:
Soundwave said:

1992-2000 Nintendo = GOAT Nintendo. 

When these guys retired, Nintendo was never the same again really

If they hadn't been hamstrung by Nintendo of Japan's stupid decision to make the N64 cart-only they would've won beat Sony too IMO. 

I don't think so. Nintendo had draconic royalty fees after all.

Not really. They charged more than Sega for a while but then started to match, but the royalty fee was a non-issue by the end of the SNES-Genesis wars. The reason N64 carts cost so much was just because the manufacturing of the cartridge ($20-$30/cart versus 5 cents for a CD disc). 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
XanderXT said:

I don't think so. Nintendo had draconic royalty fees after all.

Not really. They charged more than Sega for a while but then started to match, but the royalty fee was a non-issue by the end of the SNES-Genesis wars. The reason N64 carts cost so much was just because the manufacturing of the cartridge ($20-$30/cart versus 5 cents for a CD disc). 

5 cents for a CD? No wonder I've never seen an original PlayStation game. They were easily pirated and reproduced!

ToraTiger said:

Seriously.  Unbelievable how many great games and ideas they had back then.  Man I wish they still had that magic.

I want to count Xenoblade, but Xenoblade isn't really a Nintendo game, as it was made by Monolith. 

Nintendo today still make many great games, Wii U have fenomenal games they still have magic and ideas, but today is relly hard to make completely new great game if compare with pre 3D and beginning 3D era in gaming, but Nintendo still doest, Splatoon is last example.

Xenoblade not Nintendo game!?

Guess than Metroid Prime too isn't Nintendo game, Uncharted trilogy and Last Of Us are not Sony games...

ToraTiger said:

Seriously.  Unbelievable how many great games and ideas they had back then.  Man I wish they still had that magic, instead of their typical remake/sequel, remake pattern they've been doing lately.   I still have access to their new games and enjoy some of them, but I don't really fuk with them too much anymore

It's like Sony took all the creativity out of their games when PS1 came out. 

Brb Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Earthbound, Super Metroid, SSB, Pokemon Red, StarFox 64, Mario 3, Kid Icarus, Link to thIe past.  Super Mario Kart, ect.

Now all they have are gimmicky controls and remakes.   Only newer Nintendo game I really liked was Wind Waker and Super Mario Galaxy and Double Dash.

Brb now SM64DS, Mario Sunshine, Pokemon black and white 2, Metroid Other M, Sm4sh, StarFox adventures, OOT3D, Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario bros...Anyone seeing a  pattern of direct sequels and gimmicky releases? 

I want to count Xenoblade, but Xenoblade isn't really a Nintendo game, as it was made by Monolith. 

@Bolded would be considered direct sequels

@Italicized would be considered "not made by Nintendo" if we consider Xenoblade series "not made by Nintendo" 

So in the end you have Kid Icarus, Super Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros. If we take out spin off series we only have Kid Icarus, and the NES Kid Icarus wasn't even that great. 

Meanwhile if we are talking about new games that are designed OR ideas by Nintendo that were new post 2000, we have Splatoon, Wonderful 101, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, and Golden Sun. Not that bad actually. (Granted Luigi's Mansion is also a spin off, so give or take that one.)

That said I would put up Nintendo's completely new IPs (as a whole, including every gen) list to any other developers and see which one has the most and critically rated bests. 

I was going to post a response, but I think many posters have already thoroughly torn a new asshole for the guy who made this thread.

I should bring up that the Nintendo DS is the most innovative gaming console ever released, the touch screen controls are easily the biggest thing that has hit the gaming industry, since it is currently the interface most gaming is done with, and will eventually be the most common interface ever used in gaming.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

When these guys retired, Nintendo was never the same again really

If they hadn't been hamstrung by Nintendo of Japan's stupid decision to make the N64 cart-only they would've won beat Sony too IMO. 

Whoa, them's fighting words, mate.

20th century Nintendo did have a much, much better handle on the Western market than current gen Nintendo though, I will give you that.

I actually prefer Nintendo of today.

well this thread was dissapointing :/

That's why in the last 15 years we've got the best Mario game ( Galaxy), best MK game ( MK8), best Metroid game ( Prime 1), best Zelda game ( Wind Waker) along with other amazing games like Xenoblade, Eternal Darkness and Pikmin! Yup, modern Nintendo is the worst fucking thing ever!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Soundwave said:

We can say now that that was bad decision, but in time when they worked on N64 console, it was not seem like bad decisionbeacuse all CD-ROM baised consoles failed, Atari, 3DO, Philips, Panasonic, Sega CD, Sega Saturn...so no wonder Nintendo was stick to cartridges, PlayStation is first base CD-ROM console that was successful.