By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 4 seems to be on track to be the new PS2.

It's success seems like a dream come true. I watched in shock as the PS3 was abandoned almost right away after launch. After the huge success of PS and PS2, I thought there would be brand loyalty by those that supported those systems. I stayed loyal, but few did. I could not afford it for years, but I waited til I could. I just continued playing PS2.

PS3 did eventually become a success, but not at the level of it's predecessors. I thought Sony had lost it's fanbase and I didn't fully understand why. The price? Yeah 360 was cheaper, but not THAT much cheaper. Also, PS3 had slightly better tech. I felt that after so many years of a huge variety of games, we owed some allegiance. Apparently, few felt that way.

To my amazement, many of the XB360 hardcore have abandoned MS and went back to PS with the PS4! Why? It can't just be price. MS matched PS4's price and then went even lower. Yet, PS4 is still outselling XB1. Is it the bad PR from MS early on? It doesn't even seem that that should be enough. I wouldn't have abandoned PS over that, though I would have been upset to some degree.

Whatever the reason, PS4 is a huge success, nearly doubling the XB1 worldwide. I'm confused, and even Sony is. However I'm glad PS is back on top. I feel that Sony offers the best variety and has the little extra horsepower. 

PS4 has nearly 50% of the world's home console marketshare. It should reach that soon. Is there a chance of it reaching PS2 sales? I think there's a chance! 

Around the Network

The hype is about to die any minute now, don't get your hopes up buddy and may jesus be with you in this jesus day

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

It'll have sales that go beyond the PS3 at the end of their respective lifespans but no, I can't see it touching the PS2. Even the Wii couldn't do it, and everyone owned one of them and most people Grandparents did as well! PS4 will do well to get to 100 million I reckon.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

A lot of people forget that a lot of the PS2 sales came after its lifetime. I doubt PS4 will have that kind of longevity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

"I felt that after so many years of a huge variety of games, we owed some allegiance"
No one owes any kind of 'allegiance' to any company.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network

No.
PS4 will top maximum the PS1.

It is on track.... though I think sales will taper off a lot sooner than PS2

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

We thought the same thing about the Wii

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

not even if it stays on the market for 10 years like the ps2.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

vivster said:
A lot of people forget that a lot of the PS2 sales came after its lifetime. I doubt PS4 will have that kind of longevity.

But it has now more markets to sell their console than in the past, for example vgchartz latest released numbers show 195k ps4s sold of which 43k were in other regions than NA, Europe & Japan.