By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 4 seems to be on track to be the new PS2.

vivster said:
A lot of people forget that a lot of the PS2 sales came after its lifetime. I doubt PS4 will have that kind of longevity.

The fun thing is that the PS2 wouldn't have been the incredible success it ended up being if the PS3 had launched at a reasonable price. The PS2 ate potential PS3 sales due to the ridiculous price point of the PS3.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

and yet here we are at 7.5m v 7m

you arent explaining this very well.

are you saying the ps4 had no offers over the holidays?

Yes where one has cost the same while the other got two price cuts, totally the same.  

By th eway Nice spinning.

399 and still 399

500 399 349

I never even menetioned X1 holiday 329 price, im going of by offical pricing.  

kowenicki said:
ZarskiSold said:
Mummelmann said:
ZarskiSold said:

Irrelevent, what those two duds do is pretty meaningless and should be clear to most as far as PS4 sales are concerned.  

So, the PS4 is going to outsell the most successful console in history but the One, which is currently about 700k behind in lifetime totals in this region is a "dud"? How does that work? Also; the Wii U has sold 4.3 million in NA in about 2.5 years while the One has sold 7.3 million and the PS4 around 8 million in 1.5 years, if the parameters of sales are that wide; doesn't that also, by your very definition, make the PS4 a dud?

Ps4 sold at full price, while the dud got heavy discounts to move.  A flaied product or a dud can sale alot if you discout it enough, but it means a quick market death (ex blackberry tablet)   

Works by common factors in sales, pricing and long term product sales.  Cuting kintect and then to 349 worked wery well short term, but they ruined their long term sales potential.  

Excesivly fast discounting of any priduct kills its long term sales, since you can only cut so much for so long.  MS has exhausted their ceeling for cuts quite fast.  PS4 has a long healthy life of price cuts before it.  Having sold 20 million plus at full price, its long term sales potential is multiple times better.

Cant blame them for doing what they had to since X1 was falling and they had to do something.  But their is a price to pay with their strategy.  

What numbers are you using? I've not heard of the Xbox One getting to 7 million yet, nor has the PS4 achieved 7.5m.

Also why are you mentioning USA when the OP is talking worldwide? 

Yet again your bias shining through....

Jabbamk1 said:
kowenicki said:

What numbers are you using? I've not heard of the Xbox One getting to 7 million yet, nor has the PS4 achieved 7.5m.

NPD numbers roughly are around those marks. NPD is the tracker in the states. 

Acevil said:
Jabbamk1 said:

NPD numbers roughly are around those marks.

No they're not. 

I honestly don't understand why this kowenceki or whatever guy is allowed to post here when he always skews numbers and is very bias. 

Around the Network

I get none are in sales and my translating thing might be, a but OFF

But its this simple.

PS4 sold 7/8m at 399 already, a cut will mean similar amount sold and more at a losser price.

X1 sold 7 million, but it did so going from 500 to 399 to 349. I don't know the dates and actual sales but for arguments sake lets say.

3m at 500 2m at 399 and rest at 349. Now 7 million, if you chart expected cuts and likely sales youll see x1 sales drop faster and sale much lower then PS4 long term.

its that simple.

kowenicki said:
Jabbamk1 said:
kowenicki said:

Also why are you mentioning USA when the OP is talking worldwide? 

Yet again your bias shining through....

Approximations.

does it matter?

Yes. 

120m tops.

90m min........

:/

kowenicki said:
ZarskiSold said:
kowenicki said:

Yes where one has cost the same while the other got two price cuts, totally the same.  

By th eway Nice spinning.

399 and still 399

500 399 349

I never even menetioned X1 holiday 329 price, im going of by offical pricing.  

Launching a new cheaper model with less content isnt a price cut (for the 1000th time) as it costs nothing to achieve.

The ps4 had great offers over the holidays in the US.  In the Uk it had better offers than the xbox one.

anyhow... why cant this happen again this holidays?

and, one more time, here we are... 7.5m v 7m

It is in comsumers mind and that all that matters.  What ever the price advertised, is a cut to them no matter the spining excuses or explenation ms pr or you can make.  To 99% of peopel X1 going from 500 to 400 was a price cut.

And actually it did cost them, their entire kintec investment is down the drain.

kowenicki said:

Launching a new cheaper model with less content isnt a price cut (for the 1000th time) as it costs nothing to achieve.

The ps4 had great offers over the holidays in the US.  In the Uk it had better offers than the xbox one.

anyhow... why cant this happen again this holidays?

and, one more time, here we are... 7.5m v 7m

It is a price cut and it cost them money. 

Again your bias....

- M, Carl