By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms

Of course he should be fired, it is an inexcusable behavior. But Top Gear will drop like a stone now, he was the sole purpose to follow it.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
I'm going to bet that James May and Richard Hammond hand in their notices pretty soon, and the three turn up on another channel continuing their antics, it's their dynamic that brought the show it's success, breaking that dynamic has effectively doomed the show from here on in.

Pretty much. Wouldn't be surprised if we hear rumblings about this in the next week.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

shikamaru317 said:
Tachikoma said:
I'm going to bet that James May and Richard Hammond hand in their notices pretty soon, and the three turn up on another channel continuing their antics, it's their dynamic that brought the show it's success, breaking that dynamic has effectively doomed the show from here on in.

Yeah, I always got the impression that they were pretty close friends, I can't see them wanting to continue on without him. Hopefully the 3 will all end up on another car show on another network.

That reminds me of Mythbusters, I'm still hoping that some network will pick up Grant, Tori, and Kari for a similar show.

May has already changed his twitter info to read former presenter, Hammond will likely follow, and other channels are most likely in a bidding war as we speak to pick up the team.

One things for sure, brits have lost the last reason to pay their tv license, since the bbc is why there is a tv license to begin with.

Whichever channel picks them up is going to win, and win BIG.

I guess the true irony is, the dude he punched will likely lose his job now anyway when ratings for the show plummet like a rock and they cancel it.
Will likely not even make it through the planned 2016 season if another channel has snapped them up and is already airing by then.

daredevil.shark said:

I never liked him. But top gear will never be same. Damn you clarkson and your arrogance.

Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms

Jeremy Clarkson's contract will not be renewed after an "unprovoked physical attack" on a Top Gear producer, the BBC's director general has confirmed.

Tony Hall said he had "not taken this decision lightly" and recognised it would "divide opinion".

However, he added "a line has been crossed" and he "cannot condone what has happened on this occasion".

Clarkson was suspended on 10 March, following what was called a "fracas" with Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon.

The row, which took place in a Yorkshire hotel, was said to have occurred because no hot food was provided for him following a day's filming.

There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerationsLord Hall, BBC director general

An internal investigation began last week, led by Ken MacQuarrie, the director of BBC Scotland.

It found that Mr Tymon took himself to hospital after he was subject to an "unprovoked physical and verbal attack".

"During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip. The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the physical attack and subsequently."

The verbal abuse "contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack" Mr Tymon, who believed he had lost his job, Mr MacQuarrie noted in his report.

The "physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness," he added.

'Extraordinary contribution'

Mr Tymon did not file a formal complaint and it is understood Clarkson reported himself to BBC bosses following the incident.

After that, the BBC's director of television, Danny Cohen, felt he had no choice but to suspend the presenter pending an investigation.

The decision caused an outpouring of support from Top Gear fans, with more than a million people signing an online petition to reinstate him.

Announcing his decision, Lord Hall said Clarkson's dismissal was unavoidable after "a member of staff - who is a completely innocent party - took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature.

I am well aware that many will be sorry his involvement in the show should end in this wayOisin Tymon

"For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations."

However, he added: "This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC. I have always personally been a great fan of his work and Top Gear."

In a statement, Mr Tymon thanked the BBC for a "thorough and swift investigation into this very regrettable incident".

"I've worked on Top Gear for almost a decade, a programme I love," he continued.

"Over that time Jeremy and I had a positive and successful working relationship, making some landmark projects together. He is a unique talent and I am well aware that many will be sorry his involvement in the show should end in this way."

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

I have always enjoyed Top Gear, and Jeremy Clarkson is a big part of the reason for it. He's very entertaining and seems to work well with Hammon and May. 

With all that said, there is no excuse for this kind of crap. If he got too high on his horse and punched a dude in the face over unacceptable food, that's just a joke. His suspension made perfect sense. I would bet this kind of stuff has happened before as well or else he likely wouldn't have been removed. Many of these things work the same as in an work place. If a fight breaks out, there is almost always repercussions, however just like school, they are often resolved between the people and things move on. Multiple incindences are another story. 

I would bet that Jeremy becomes rather humbled by this experience and trys very hard to get his position back, only time will tell if it happens I guess.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

We are oh so sensitive...

People get mad, fights happen, that's life. Egos (and bodies) will get bruised and tempers will flare. When it's all done, we shake hands and get back to life as usual.

Nobody needs to get fired.

Life isn't a bed of roses.

Move on.

Around the Network
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Dude, never said this incident was racist. I said others were. anyway... I'm done trying to explain. You were complaining that BBC had made a business mistake. I am trying to explain why bbc aren't businessmen, and they have a lot of beuacracy to deal with. And why Clarkson is 100% better off working with a private entity. If you can't stop trying to argue with me and accept facts, then it is what it is.

And a little punch? This isn't the first instance. If you condone violent behaviour, that is childish and your choice, but even so, if Jeremy wants to do this kind of thing at work, he needs to get an employer who allows it (not the government). The day they start allowing government employees to beat eachother up in the UK, is the day the UK will collapse.

I never said you claimed THIS incident was racist. My point was that if there were in fact other incidents in which he did display racism then those would have been good reasons to get rid of him. And yet, they apparently did not, so giving a man a bloody lip is worse than being a racist to the UK government then huh?

It is not in the least bit childish to question this decision. Also I never said or even implied that I condone violent behaviour. The point is something you can look past and work out for the sake of everyone's best interests 

RIP Top Gear. Best cars show, it'll never be the same without Jeremy's offending comments.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

Englishmen does not like things to change!
Coronation Street - 55 years
Emmerdale - 43 years
The Mousetrap - 63 years,
House of Windsor - 105 years
Top Gear - 13 years.
Clarksson will be fine and so will Top Gear.

It's a conspiracy!

After they finally convinced Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche to let them take their best cars (LaFerrari, P1 and 918) to make a "race" to find out which one is the best, this happens. Coincidence? I think not!

j/k

It's sad, but Mr. Clarkson has to face the impact of his actions, and they were inadmissible.

The downside is that Top Gear is dead. May and Hammond refused to do the show while Clarkson was investigated, and now they'll most likely quit.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I will miss the show for sure, but between his past antics and comments and this act, it was a long time coming. I will see him soon enough on another show most likely anyways, so oh well. He is absolutely hilarious and anyone is fair game for a target of his humor.

I just want to see the Ferrari, McLaren, and Porsche go at it. I bet he will get it done somehow.