By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms

ganoncrotch said:
teigaga said:

LOOOOL

In what world do you hit your boss and keep your job? Just because y'all like him it doesn't mean he is above  anyone else. Considering this isn't the first time he's been in trouble, everyone blaming the BBC really need to  stop and think for a second. Its sends a terrible message out to the world if you let someone be dick and get away with no repercussions just because they're entertaining to watch. It may be a shame and I'm sure the BBC hated that it came to this but its only fair, no one to blame but him.

Do you really believe this line? Do you think that everyone in the world is treated the same? Sure Clarkson (54) could well have not hit Oisin (35) in the face over it, he could have used his popularity and pull within the show to have the guy fired and use his ties to make it so that he could never work again like most would, or as with a lot of people who have power/money simply have his staff/security rough the guy up for him.

Do I think Clarkson was right here, no of course not, but the BBC should have settled this in another fashion, the guy who was punched in the face is now the Director of a show which is effectively dead in the water, so their resolution to him being punched by a 54 year old has more or less cost him his job working on the highest grossing show on the BBC (afaik)

From what I understand Sky have been offering the trio of presenters of Top Gear better and better offers to come and work with them for the last number of years now, I would think considering Clarksons current unemployment he isn't in a great bargaining position but I can't imagine it will be long before he is back with his audience and on a network more likely to allow him be a lot more arrogant than he was on the BBC.

Do I believe that the same logic realises itself the majority of times we're dealing with celebs. No of course not, but in the instance in which it does materialise we shouldn't cry foul. Its really simple:

-People like Clarkson, want him to keep his the job so they can continue to enjoy the show.
-Clarkson does something 99% of people would (and should) be fired for doing and so is fired.
-There is no injustice here.

Would it be financially smarter for the BBC to keep him, of course, no one is arguing against that. This isn't so much about the victim as it is about condemning bad intolerable behaviour.

Around the Network
Angelus said:
teigaga said:

God forbid the BBC starts exhibiting morals...

Ya cus they're usually such a moral bunch, covering up child molestation if it suits them but let's draw the line at a man punching another man right?

You run a business and you're gonna ok losing millions upon millions of dollars, and fans over a swollen lip to an assistant producer then you shouldn't be running any business, cus you clearly have no damn sense in your head

Hence why I said "starts"

Secondly business =/= morales. So nothing to do with my argument. 

shikamaru317 said:

teigaga said:

God forbid the BBC starts exhibiting morals...

I'm all for taking the moral high ground, but come on, dropping the main host of one of your highest rated shows over something minor like a brawl is just silly. When I first heard he was suspended I figured he'd done something really bad, drug possession, rape accustations, etc. I never would have guessed it was over a simple brawl. Clarkson and this assistant producer probably could have worked this thing out between them, possibly amicably, and if not the assistant producer could have sought justice in a court of law by pressing assault charges, there was really no need for BBC to involve themselves, let alone fire him and kill the ratings of one of their best shows.

You're speaking purely from financial standpoint of what makes business sense which has nothing to do with "morals". Also violence > Drug procession.

Again if this was any other guy who attacked their colleague there would be no discussion, he would simply be fired.

I always considered Clarkson kind of a jackass douchebag, and I'm pretty sure he was complicit in forcing Tiff Needell. However, I would be lying if I said the interplay between James May, Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson wasn't the exact reason for the popularity of the show. Like him or not, Top Gear lost part of what made it a highly entertaining show.

It's unlikely they'll be able to find a replacement that is able to create the same kind of atmosphere those three produce. So, I doubt my interest in the show will continue past this point. It's a shame, it was a great show while it lasted.

Conegamer said:
Tachikoma said:
I'm going to bet that James May and Richard Hammond hand in their notices pretty soon, and the three turn up on another channel continuing their antics, it's their dynamic that brought the show it's success, breaking that dynamic has effectively doomed the show from here on in.

Pretty much. Wouldn't be surprised if we hear rumblings about this in the next week.

I'm all for Clarkson, Hammond and May leaving BBC for another network, but how much of Top Gear is owned by BBC? The name, the image, the facilities... is there something that could prevent them from setting shop on another channel? Because Top Gear has been from BBC since the late 70's.

Around the Network
ReimTime said:
Ka-pi96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Wow, so the 1 million signature position, delivered by a tank to BBC's offices, did absolutely nothing? You really suck BBC. One of your two best shows (imo), pretty much dead now thanks to a simple brawl. I just can't see James and Richard maintaining ratings without him, they are both pretty funny but Jeremy was the lifeblood of the show.

What's the other one?

The Inbetweeners. Mr Bean. Monty Python. Ah nvm they're all over now :(

The Inbetweeners and Mr Bean were not on the BBC.

Edit: Nevermind, saw your reply.

The guy is an arrogant prick, if i punched my boss in the face i would expect to be fired. Its not the first time Clarkson has led with his fists, fully deserved sacking but he will get another lucrative deal somewhere else.

It's a shame this is how Top Gear ends considering how long the show has been going on for.

Also the show will now drop considerably in viewers without Clarkson, just like 2 and a half men when Charlie Sheen left. So I imagine Hammond and May will leave with Clarkson as well considering how good friends all three of them are.

Although I don't agree on what Clarkson done, TOp Gear won't be the same. People say he's arrogant or an ass, but that's the character he plays ffs. It's an act and a major reason why top gear was so entertaining. The 1 million signatures already is proof enough of his following.

shikamaru317 said:
ReimTime said:

The IT Crowd is another one I like

I've been hearing good things about a show called Gogglebox, but it's not on BBC, Channel 4 I think. There really aren't many British shows left that I like now, most of them have ran their course. And now Top Gear is likely to die as well. Dissapointing for sure.

Well I love Doctor Who still so that's the only reason I guess that I would even go on BBC anymore now that Top Gear is over.